Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

PC Gamer exclusive: Under siege

Theyve said the next test phase is the "throne war module" with lots of new tech and persistance. I think maybe they need to wait and do a LOT of work on optimization and combat before that.

Making a couple chnages here and there as we go makes testing feedback less valuable since were basing it off bad systems and looks bad to outside people. (Those video comments represent what most gamers will think and say. Truth hurts sometimes)

Gotta get the foundation strong before we build on it.

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

Theyve said the next test phase is the "throne war module" with lots of new tech and persistance. I think maybe they need to wait and do a LOT of work on optimization and combat before that.

Making a couple chnages here and there as we go makes testing feedback less valuable since were basing it off bad systems and looks bad to outside people. (Those video comments represent what 90% of gamers will think and say. Truth hurts sometimes)

Gotta get the foundation strong before we build on it.

Yep, but I'd rather them get lambasted now then later. Should be an eye opener.

Edited by helix

I didn't watch the full trailer, it was really cheesy and it honestly didn't look good at all.  Sorry Ace, but that was a mistake.  You need to optimize and get this game running smoothly before showing stuff like that.  

Edited by amazingtacoburito

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

But I thought Shadowbane looked fine too, at the time.  It looks way better than camelot unchained in the gameplay footage I've seen there.

That's not really Crowfall's merit... more like CU looking like poop.

y9tj8G5.png

Yep, but I'd rather them get lambasted now then later. Should be an eye opener.

I'm not sure why, we all know where we are in the stage of the project, and we are much further along in both optimization and playability than most large products are the 1 year mark of development. (Normally all those things happen much further along or specific pieces for demo reels)

I can remember for one e3 demo sizzle and playable level while making DCUO we spent at least 4 months of 100+ developer's time. After the e3 we dumped that level, and kept very little of that tech. It always seems such a colossal waste of time, and I know my example is not unique in the games industry. Companies spend so much time on marketing pieces and the end game is often nothing like them.

Whereas with Crowfall, everything we build we use, and build it in such an order it makes sense to the end goal of the project. We don't spend untold man months making demo reels and sizzle flicks. When we make marketing pieces, we use what we have, with the game we currently have. Yes sometimes it's rough that X feature doesn't look as good as it will in a few weeks, or that optimization Y isn't in yet giving us another 5 FPS, but that is the reality of being so transparent.

Thanks for those of you who realize this and back us up when people start throwing rocks!

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Thanks for those of you who realize this and back us up when people start throwing rocks!

I have no choice, I'm over $200 invested!

Edited by chodie

Hg0LXwa.png

Whereas with Crowfall, everything we build we use, and build it in such an order it makes sense to the end goal of the project. We don't spend untold man months making demo reels and sizzle flicks. When we make marketing pieces, we use what we have, with the game we currently have. Yes sometimes it's rough that X feature doesn't look as good as it will in a few weeks, or that optimization Y isn't in yet giving us another 5 FPS, but that is the reality of being so transparent.

You do have tons of people who are available to test for you, and would be more than willing to go through the battles and make footage for you. I can understand wanting to just use in house, but the roughly 12 we saw in that trailer was nowhere near what the game usually has. That's what you should be using and doing in trailers.

I'd believe that -W-, Cal, Sugoi, KDS, MW etc. would all be more than willing to hop on and focus specific areas in the game mode for you to make a really killer trailer of SP. All of us want to see this game succeed and the trailers should look as awesome as it does in game.

I'm not sure why, we all know where we are in the stage of the project, and we are much further along in both optimization and playability than most large products are the 1 year mark of development. (Normally all those things happen much further along or specific pieces for demo reels)

Completely agreed, I mean everyone knows you're building the game at high speed compared to any other MMO developer so far.

But if the final product is lacking it doesn't really matter to the consumer how much time you spent developing it.

According to your website an openbeta will start by the end of december, so everyone has the right to complain about a game that is technically 7 months away from pre-release. It would help if you made it clear that Crowfall won't be released, in case the time window ends up being too short after all.... which to me is already a fact.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I'd believe that -W-, Cal, Sugoi, KDS, MW etc. would all be more than willing to hop on and focus specific areas in the game mode for you to make a really killer trailer of SP. All of us want to see this game succeed and the trailers should look as awesome as it does in game.

Yes, we would do everything in our power to help! 

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

We're only throwing rocks because we're really passionate and we care a lot about this game. Always remember that.

We're not doing it to be mean, we just want the game to be the best it can be.

Edited by macavity

7ug90hM.png

Publicity always has the potential to be a double-edged sword.  There is a solid takeaway here.  Like it or not, our perception of what Crowfall will be colors our view of how it is now.  We look at a clip and see progress where others will look and see deficiencies.

Certainly, game performance (FPS, responsiveness, look & feel) is a huge risk that must eventually be brought up to a professional level.

That said, let them interpret the current footage how they may.  When better footage becomes available, they'll look again and take notice.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Because if there is one thing I have learned in life it's that there are a good amount of people out there that could care less about facts and make judgments anyways.  Then there are those who look at those comments and begin to have the same mind set and neither of them have even read into the game at all.  It is sad but true, but maybe we are better off without those people :).

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

We're only throwing rocks because we're really passionate and we care a lot about this game. Always remember that.

I wonder if there are more effective ways than throwing rocks to channel that passion for the game.

IhhQKY6.gif

I wonder if there are more effective ways than throwing rocks to channel that passion for the game.

Thank you.  Just thank you.

Edited by Nazdar

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

you shouldn't release (or let other offical sites release)  a bad looking video like this in the future, it is not good for the reputation of the game.....

Edited by Kreigon

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to Find them, One Ring to bring them all an in the darkness and bind them.

There is but imagine if everyone was the exact same and was constantly praising everything without any criticism.

The game wouldn't end up good, would it? The stone throwing is a necessary "evil". Always has been and always will be.

7ug90hM.png

:rolleyes:

No offense man but you seem pretty obsessed over what other people think of the game. Most of whom that are uninformed about the game itself and how KS, Indie dev process needs to work. Most of the negatives revolve around how the game LOOKS, how a PRE-ALPHA game LOOKS. If you want a game to look pretty and work amazingly smooth at this early stage then great but you probably shouldn't be following a small budget indie dev game though.

Edited by pang