Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC Gamer exclusive: Under siege

Now you've hit the rationalization phase of a bad relationship. "Well if they weren't smarter they would have liked it!!!". That trailer gave nothing to like. Many of the people we distanced could have been valuable community members, and it will be much harder to get them back. Pretending they were all lovers of "scantily clad anime characters with oversized weapons and jiggle physics" won't change that.

Fact remains the point of the video and article was to highlight siege mechanics and destructible environments ie walls, voxels. But most seemed blind to that because all they saw and thought was "durr it looks bad, lol nice FPS bro!"

Now could have ACE spent a few more minutes adding narration or text or better clips to the vid? Absolutely. but again the point was to show and highlight features not graphics and performance.

Edited by pang
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I agree. I think this was a PR misstep.   To give a little context, we didn't make the video *for* PC gamer.  We just had it on the schedule to make a video for a normal Tues/Thurs update, to

I'm not sure why, we all know where we are in the stage of the project, and we are much further along in both optimization and playability than most large products are the 1 year mark of development.

Having laboriously read all of the comments, now I see the issue. We can just do this better. I think Remlap is right: the player guild siege videos are just better and smarter. Bigger matches. We'r

I think you all are forgetting why "any press is good press" By next week, most of the peeps that watched the trailer will forget that they even watched it. The point of trailers is the install the brand name into the viewers minds. Unfortunately, this trailer made the passerbys shove CF into the back of their minds, but by the time they'll probably hear CF again, they'll have forgotten why they shoved it into the back of their minds and hopefully be impressed with a more complete (or final) version of it.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I think the game looks much better while playing it than it does in this video. Love the action, but it's a bit hard to follow here. Glad to see the exposure for Crowfall and now some folks may be clicking a future trailer showing the progress and recognize the improvement.

Now you've hit the rationalization phase of a bad relationship. "Well if they weren't smarter they would have liked it!!!". That trailer gave nothing to like. Many of the people we distanced could have been valuable community members, and it will be much harder to get them back. Pretending they were all lovers of "scantily clad anime characters with oversized weapons and jiggle physics" won't change that.

NO... my whole point is NO.  They are most likely not going to be valuable community members, outside the monetary sense, because they're dumb poorly made sockss (and no, I am not "pretending" regrading what a lot of people want to see, exaggerating yes, pretending no).  I am sorry, but any that dismissed CF out of hand based on that video are truly dumb poorly made sockss.  Really, really profoundly ignorant.  And, if the game gains in popularity, they will be the first group to pile on the bandwagon, guaranteed (again, dumb poorly made sockss).   

Now, if they just dislike the graphics, animations, etc. then that is different.  Perhaps they will adopt a wait and see attitude.  Maybe, some know about the "rest" of CF and don't like that either, and that's fine too--it's not for everyone.  Things are not all black and white.  Time will tell.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

The timing of this release was clearly coordinated with their Reddit AMA. I think the AMA on Thursday isn't going to be from new people interested in the game, but instead will be existing-backers sending in questions. They might get some attention from this PC Gamer video inquiring why the game looks so bad as it does, despite the ignorance of it being from "pre-alpha" stages of development. I'm guessing this AMA will likely dwell on this, or people won't even bother to show up because of how terrible it portrayed the state of the game. Not a marketing success in anyway I try to look at this.

I'd rather they came into this week with a major information dump; archetype descriptions, promotion class info, guild system that finally launches a year late, whatever....

Instead we get a video that arguably many of the pre-alpha testers could have and HAVE made better. This is just another in a long line of debacles and bad decisions and its really getting hard to white knight this game to others.

Edited by scree

Fact remains the point of the video and article was to highlight siege mechanics and destructible environments ie walls, voxels. But most seemed blind to that because all they saw and thought was "durr it looks bad, lol nice FPS bro!"

Now could have ACE spent a few more minutes adding narration or text or better clips to the vid? Absolutely. but again the point was to show and highlight features not graphics and performance.

Neither I, nor the 15,000 disappointing viewers, care what the point was. The point is even more meaningless now as what matters is the lost sales and community members, the value of whom I will explain in the next response:

NO... my whole point is NO.  They are most likely not going to be valuable community members, outside the monetary sense, because they're dumb poorly made sockss (and no, I am not "pretending" regrading what a lot of people want to see, exaggerating yes, pretending no).  I am sorry, but any that dismissed CF out of hand based on that video are truly dumb poorly made sockss.  Really, really profoundly ignorant.  And, if the game gains in popularity, they will be the first group to pile on the bandwagon, guaranteed (again, dumb poorly made sockss).   

Now, if they just dislike the graphics, animations, etc. then that is different.  Perhaps they will adopt a wait and see attitude.  Maybe, some know about the "rest" of CF and don't like that either, and that's fine too--it's not for everyone.  Things are not all black and white.  Time will tell.   

You are making a desperate and broad generalizations to justify a disastrous PR event. It has 15k views and an embarrassing like/dislike ratio. To really claim that every single one of those 15,000 would have been unable to contribute meaningfully to the project is absurd. (for reference, most political polls use 1000 person groups, and are accurate within 3-5%) Unless the goal was to get ANY PR, regardless of its good or ill nature, this was a disaster. The project is alive and well, and I doubt this will have any major effects, but this isn't something it needed either.

Edit: just a tad of irony I found when you open with "They are most likely not going to be valuable community members, outside the monetary sense, because they're dumb poorly made sockss" and then say "Things are not all black and white." I just found that funny

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

You are making a desperate and broad generalizations to justify a disastrous PR event. It has 15k views and an embarrassing like/dislike ratio. To really claim that every single one of those 15,000 would have been unable to contribute meaningfully to the project is absurd. (for reference, most political polls use 1000 person groups, and are accurate within 3-5%) Unless the goal was to get ANY PR, regardless of its good or ill nature, this was a disaster. The project is alive and well, and I doubt this will have any major effects, but this isn't something it needed either.

I did not claim that everyone of the 15k views would be unable to contribute in a meaningful way--I claimed that any person who dismissed CF out of hand based on that video is an ignoramus.  Don't worry though, if CF is a decent success many of them will come around in sheep-like fashion attempting to turn CF into WoW.  

CF should not pander to the lowest common denominator.  Plenty of poorly made socks MMOs have done that in the last decade or so. 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

I did not claim that everyone of the 15k views would be unable to contribute in a meaningful way--I claimed that any person who dismissed CF out of hand based on that video is an ignoramus.  Don't worry though, if CF is a decent success many of them will come around in sheep-like fashion attempting to turn CF into WoW.  

CF should not pander to the lowest common denominator.  Plenty of poorly made socks MMOs have done that in the last decade or so. 

I hate to dive this deep into semantics, but calling all of them ignoramus's is running into that same generalization trap. Anyone who watches that trailer would not be unreasonable for thinking this project is not worth their time. I would actually be concerned if someone saw that trailer and thought "Wow, I was skeptical of this project before, but this makes me want in!" or "After seeing this, I HAVE to find out more!". It's just a shame that our first big PR hit in months was this.

So, no, we aren't just loosing the lowest common denominator, we are losing nearly everyone who watches that trailer.

A disaster.. lol ok. Admits it won't have a major effect but nope its a disaster... :huh:

Its a PR disaster that wont damage the project long-term. Similar to how get sick before an important meeting is a disasters that won't ruin the business long-term. (Or if it did, it was already failing)

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

I think you all are forgetting why "any press is good press" By next week, most of the peeps that watched the trailer will forget that they even watched it. The point of trailers is the install the brand name into the viewers minds. Unfortunately, this trailer made the passerbys shove CF into the back of their minds, but by the time they'll probably hear CF again, they'll have forgotten why they shoved it into the back of their minds and hopefully be impressed with a more complete (or final) version of it.

Exactly this. Once some of the finer/unique points are fleshed out and published  people will love CF and forget about a tech alpha video they may or may not have seen many months ago.

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

I didnt see the youtube comments...  :blink:

"framerate makes me want to kill myself"

"The poorly made socks I took earlier looked better than this."

I wish I could give the devs a hug. I'll just try to be nicer in the future, I think they've heard enough negativity.

MOkvLlm.png

So let me just leave an example of a very well done trailer, that does inspire hype and interest in a title....

https://youtu.be/N_ZgyNoHtjw

This should be held as a standard of what to do if you are going to bother making a "hype trailer". Another great example are the EVE Online videos which have animated scenes with actual player voice-overs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0 (or this one if you enjoy hysterical player screaming at the end....)

None of these are possible for Crowfall, and its a questionable decision to waste their time on it. The problem is THEY DID. You want to debate the merits of the video, and how it may or may not attract the "right" players? Sure, but you are circle-strafing each other with empty gun clips. You aren't even, in the end, asking the right question.

Why are they even concerned with press at this Pre-Alpha stage? The answer to this is what concerns me the most. Was this motivated by a need for new blood/money? 

They seem to have adopted this notion that every single week, we need a news release or a lore tidbit or something. The problem is most of the people seem to gloss over this stuff because its mostly fluff and insubstantial. We aren't morons (most of us), the news release we have been getting are wholly transparent. They deserve all of the negative comments and feedback on this because it was bonehead move to try to hype up a pre-alpha game that looks like poorly made socks. Regardless of your position on Crowfall, this was a mistake.

A few things that are encouraging imo:

• with more than 20K views over 3 videos, it gives some exposure to the game: some people who may have never heard about Crowfall, ever, has now a chance to get interested (or not) to know more about it
  • PCgamer is a website covering all types of games, most of the time AAA titles with enormous budget. The audience of this site usually is accustomed to high-end graphics / high-end performances. The title of the video (gameplay trailer) and the context in which the video is presented (article praising the qualities of CF). All those factors make it pretty likely imo that a Pre-Alpha "trailer" with stylized graphics and low frame rate is going to be criticized harshly. I don't consider those criticisms as a huge issue though, if anything it will put a little more pressure on the dev to find strategies to improve the frame rate
  • even if only 1% of the viewers decide to support Crowfall, that's already 200 new Crows
  • it's one of the first gameplay trailer of ACE, hopefully they make many more and learn from this one

Overall I'm pleased to see that ACE is still taking risks, being transparent with the development and doing all they can to make Crowfall better, even if that means getting downvoted to hell by eye candy lovers.  :)

Mfw watching the 'trailer'

627DYOb.gif

I died a bit inside.

sheesh get a grip

an okay article thanks for linking *sips tea*

namaste

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg