Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Crowfall combat should of been...

Helix

Looks kind of slow and robotic to me. Also lets see what the other classes can do and not just a fencing demo. Kudos on recreating that scene from Princess Bride though lol

Besides "should of been"? Game has a long ways to go yet.

Looks kind of slow and robotic to me. Also lets see what the other classes can do and not just a fencing demo. Kudos on recreating that scene from Princess Bride though lol

Besides "should of been"? Game has a long ways to go yet.

That's true, but in comparison CF's current combat looks tame. Hey, CoE could be a complete disaster in a year, or two or however many it takes, but the combat definitely looks interesting.

Yeah I mean I got my eye on that game as well but just seems like they going for the spilt body models/animations like CU does. Not really a fan of that animation method as close up it just doesn't look good to me.

Also CoE going for I think a more realistic concept as well so think that also accounts for the differences.

Both games have a long ways to go before ready for Prime time though agree.

Yeah i'm sorry to say that CoE's first pre-alpha combat demo gives me much more confidence in their pvp mechanics than months of iterations, class additions and adjustments to Crowfalls. 

They both have a ways to go, but Crowfall is more quickly running out of time to change their direction... 

edit; also that vid was staged. You should watch two people really trying to kill each other like the vids from PAX east. Those vids better display the skill ceiling.

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear

I'd rather have generic tab target or Wildstar style combat over what's shown in that video.

I'm not super happy with where combat is right now but with how much it's improved since last year I'm confident it'll be decent at launch.

Yeah i'm sorry to say that CoE's first pre-alpha combat demo gives me much more confidence in their pvp mechanics than months of iterations, class additions and adjustments to Crowfalls. 

They both have a ways to go, but Crowfall is more quickly running out of time to change their direction... 

edit; also that vid was staged. You should watch two people really trying to kill each other like the vids from PAX east. Those vids better display the skill ceiling.

So I googled the pax east videos and found this one https://youtu.be/6HtEnsVPuqw?t=18s

and I don't see a reason why one of the future archetypes couldn't have this style of combat.  What I saw in the video

• a duelist
    • able to use stamina very often for short burst of speeds in the WASD directions
    • Animation locks that account for a much lighter faster weapons (its not a 2hd axe, sword and shield, bow draw, or finger waggle)
    • 3 LMB attack combo of thrust, slash, slash
      • The thrust had a little lunge attached to it while the slashes only included a forward step
    • A defensive parry with iframe
    • A downward slash with step foward
    • A riposte that doesn't care if you actually blocked an attack
  • Hit reactions that where the same for every type of attack (I just got punched in the face kind of reaction)
  • Combat movement that's the same in all directions

That said I would say the flow from animation to moving did look better in the videos than what I experience with Crowfall.  It seems like all Crowfall abilities have a big recovery window where you can be punished for making the wrong call.

Edited by Degan

How anyone that has played the Alpha can watch that video and make any opinion that the combat - based on that video - looks better or more fun than the combat we are seeing is beyond me. It looked extremely slow and boring to me.

And I was a gymnast for 14 years who could actually do that trick and more on the high bar.

This video shows real players fighting 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtEnsVPuqw

Compared to the first iteration of Crowfall combat, CoE is leads and bounds ahead in terms of speed and skill ceiling potential.

7 months later Crowfall has definitely improved, but it still looks more like a moba than anything else. 

aka honeybear

They are also not designing CoE to be able to have a bunch of people in one place, for one giant fight.  They even said in their PAX interview that the game wont be able to handle large scale combat.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

This video shows real players fighting 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtEnsVPuqw

Compared to the first iteration of Crowfall combat, CoE is leads and bounds ahead in terms of speed and skill ceiling potential.

7 months later Crowfall has definitely improved, but it still looks more like a moba than anything else. 

Still looks extremely boring, deliberate and slow to me. Imagine that "combat" surrounded by 100 other players.

In fact, let's see even a few dozen other players fighting.  In fact, let's see real players (no, that "tournament footage" was not of "real players" ... it was what appeared to be 1 v 1 base combat at a trade show demo) in an actual gameplay trailer. Better yet, let's see a recording not made on an iphone standing behind a monitor at a trade show ...

Edited by coolwaters

In fact, let's see real players (no, that "tournament footage" was not of "real players" ... it was what appeared to be 1 v 1 base combat at a trade show demo) in an actual gameplay trailer. Better yet, let's see a recording not made on an iphone standing behind a monitor at a trade show ...

Uh... so do you want real people playing or not? Because that is literally what i (and Degan) just posted. No one was paid to play those games or told how they act like in the Princess Bride montage. They were real people just playing the game.

Metas were developing even in the span of a number of hours just at PAX. One of the winners of that tourney was extremely patient in how he fought, always waiting for counterattacks. 

What do you define as a 'real player' if its not an unaffiliated person just playing a game?

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear

Uh... so do you want real people playing or not? Because that is literally what i (and Degan) just posted. No one was paid to play those games or told how they act like in the Princess Bride montage. They were real people just playing the game.

Metas were developing even in the span of a number of hours just at PAX. One of the winners of that tourney was extremely patient in how he fought, always waiting for counterattacks. 

What do you define as a 'real player' if its not an unaffiliated person just playing a game?

I love when people on the internet say things like "metas were developing." 

Ya. That makes sense. 2 guys PvPing 1 v 1 at PAX established a "meta." Enjoy that game.

On the "real player" thing, I realize those two guys have a pulse of roughly 98.6 degrees F, but I don't consider that a gameplay testing video. Let me see testers actually testing. And if that was testers testing, it was just as slow, boring and deliberate (and small scale) as the first video. Pretty, but empty looking.

That's what I see. It's ok if you see more.

One of the winners of that tourney was extremely patient in how he fought, always waiting for counterattacks.

On this, well, its almost like CoE will be a totally different type of game or something ...

Edited by coolwaters

Chronological comparison to where Crowfall was at their developmental equivalent:

https://youtu.be/8nNKuO1S7Z4?t=1142

Desyncs, rubber banding, painfully slow animation locks that cannot be cancelled and "running in a straight line" as one of the highest forms of strategy. 

Given the choice between this ^ vs. CoE in its current form, i'd pick CoE. That's an unfair comparison though, obviously. Considering each respective project at their inception, I think CoE is in a better starting position than Crowfall was 8 months ago. 

But i think at this point we may as well agree to disagree on that.

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear