Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wonderbread

Is friendly fire still happening/is a thing?

I haven't tested in a while, but looking at all the new skills etc, (especially the new druid skills), I'd hope that there is still friendly fire in the works. In both hitting friendlies with damaging abilities and enemies with healing abilities..

I just remember it being mentioned long ago before and during the KS campaign. I'd hate to see it gone, it just adds so much to combat.

Edit: Found it in the FAQ I guess..

Wherever possible, yes -- but we have to make sure that this is balanced. Some rules sets (like the infected worlds, which are Faction based) divide players automatically into teams. We have to make sure that players can't join teams specifically to take advantage of friendly fire to grief their own "teammates."

Our plan is to try and apply debuffs to players for doing damage to or killing their teammates (the gods curse you for your incompetence). If this proves not to be a good enough deterrent, however, we may have to turn friendly fire off for particular Campaign worlds.

Edited by wonderbread

they will just turn on FF in certain campaigns. The game will not be balanced around it. It will be a PITA and FORCE very very small groups.

I dont understand why people think every thing should change for a small part of the game. Will it be the perfect Friendly Fire system? No. Will it work and actualy be friendly fire... yes

MOkvLlm.png

Eternal Crusade has friendly fire and physics, and it works.  The only problem there is griefing, really, but that will be mitigated in CF in the outer bands (probably no FF) and in the inner bands anything goes.  CF melee attacks and heals, in particular, will be a bit of a problem (thinking Legio C) in FF campaigns, but with some tweaks it could work.  Right now, it would not work but that is more due to optimization, I think.    

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Friendly fire likely won't exist or will be a small part of this game. I've been thinking that ever since the early tests.

Friendly fire likely won't exist or will be a small part of this game. I've been thinking that ever since the early tests.

Why not?  I think it's highly likely to be a part of the game.  So far, they have "tested" group-only safety and now faction-only safety.  I anticipate group-only safety being dregs and shadow, personally; maybe group-only safety dregs, guild-only safety shadow.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Why not?  I think it's highly likely to be a part of the game.  So far, they have "tested" group-only safety and now faction-only safety.  I anticipate group-only safety being dregs and shadow, personally; maybe group-only safety dregs, guild-only safety shadow.

They could do friendly fire with group immunity but I really doubt full blown friendly fire will ever happen. The nature of how combat works would be a complete nightmare with full friendly fire. 

I'm hoping for group based friendly fire (group immunity), with relatively small groups (6ish?), with maybe a few very dangerous abilities that hit everyone, even your group (think sentinel bomb if you played SB). Just no raid/guild immunity, I hope. (Actually, I'd prefer the concept of a group of groups not being a thing - no raid or platoon).

I'm hoping for group based friendly fire (group immunity), with relatively small groups (6ish?), with maybe a few very dangerous abilities that hit everyone, even your group (think sentinel bomb if you played SB). Just no raid/guild immunity, I hope. (Actually, I'd prefer the concept of a group of groups not being a thing - no raid or platoon).

I really hope friendly fire will be meaningful. At the very least what yamix described here. That should work alright with the abilities and powers as they are now but still make friendly fire an element that can hinder mindless guild/alliance zerging. If team size is 6-8 max, and there is no raids setup whatsoever, even if FF only works outside of your group that will still be ok to hinder zerg blobs (coupled with body blocking). It would be even better without AoE caps and damage splitting, one can hope devs reconsider on those. _At the very least_ damage splitting needs to go. The more you encourage people to run around in tight balls, the worse it will be. 

Edited by Rikutatis

It would not be good for the game imo.

I'll also wager the majority of people who are supportive of it will be whining about it within 1 month after release. 

Why?

1. They will realize it's not all rainbows and sunshine.
  2. They will realize that it's harmful to gameplay when put in with Collision Detection.
  3. They will realize that not everything is small groups and when they need a large group it will be counter productive.
  4. It will be abused constantly by trolls. 
  5. Lastly, you don't need it, it will turn away a lot of players, there is simply no need for it, there is no need to over complicate everything.

That's my take on it, some would still be happy with it regardless of 1-5 but I'll wager those people will be the minority.

That poll is completely irrelevant to my statement, my second line should have made it clear that I was talking about a finished product not what a handful of testers think. Don't dismiss the voice of casuals, newer generations, and even some of the old schoolers.

That was my opinion on what I *speculate* will be the case, trying to counter it with a poll that represents a very small portion of what the actual community will be after release is pretty silly.

That poll is completely irrelevant to my statement, my second line should have made it clear that I was talking about a finished product not what a handful of testers think. Don't dismiss the voice of casuals, newer generations, and even some of the old schoolers.

That was my opinion on what I *speculate* will be the case, trying to counter it with a poll that represents a very small portion of what the actual community will be after release is pretty silly.

If this game was made to appeal casuals or the "mass", we wouldn't be here.

y9tj8G5.png

If this game was made to appeal casuals or the "mass", we wouldn't be here.

Do you honestly believe that they won't be playing it ? 

Also, as I said if  they decide to put in FF, you should be well aware of how opinions change when it's not their vision of how it should be. 

While the intent is to appeal to a certain type of player, we all know (ACE included) that any game that is half decent a healthy release population if the game is known. To believe otherwise is mind boggling.

I gave reasons why I think it will be a bad idea and why players will change their minds if FF actually walks up and kicks them in the face, that doesn't mean I'm not all for having it in certain campaign types. I stand by my statement though, if it comes out and when players see the issues it can and will cause, many will change their perspective. 

There's always the possibility that I'm 100% wrong as well. 

Time will tell.

If they don't add in friendly fire and start balancing around it, the entire meta of all pvp on release will be reduced to zerg size and blob rolling.

"How many do we have?"

"20"

"And how many do they have?"

"30"

"Well f*** it lets just go home then, this is over"

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear