Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breaking the Rune Code

Just recently, ACE released their first language primer for the Crowfall rune system. Since this has to do with the rune/glyph/sigil system in the game, I'm putting the discussion thread in the crafting community where it belongs!

Let's crack it together.

First we have the 3 words that JTodd gave us in his post.

1) Creator

2) Harvest

3) Change

Each of these symbols have 3 distinct conjugations. The first is with a circle preceding the symbol, the second is a naked symbol and the third is the symbol with a line striking through it.

Here is a picture. Crowfall_symbology_coreconcept.jpg

Considering the focus on the holy trinity on other aspects of the game, my guess is that these are past present and future tenses of the same word.

Other possibilities would be the strength of the word such as lesser, equal to or greater than. If this is true, it could be a system of priority in an alchemical equation. 

The next important aspect is the casting circle design. This seems to take it's origins from arcane summoning circles or transmutation circles. The design is shown below.

Crowfall_symbology_sigil.jpg

Important things to note here are the inclusions of the sun and moon, which are opposite each other on the circle. This would seem to suggest that there is a time component in the circles themselves. It could also be symbolical of light and dark or life and death. Also, notice that the circle is divided into quadrants. This may indicate a seasonal component with each component representing: Spring in the bottom left; Summer in the top left; Fall in the top right and Winter in the bottom right (based on the locations of the Sun and Moon representing the Summer and Winter Solstice)

Since we don't have more information, it's difficult to try and decipher the meaning of the inner rings, the triangle or the lines marking the outsides of the circle (the ones that look like they're marking degree measurements or time on a clock).

The symbols inside the circle most likely mark either the type of protection or the the time in which each protection is weakest.

Lastly, to state the obviously, we see that in the top left quadrant they have the naked form of the word Creator. The smaller text just inside of the outer circle on the top left and the bottom right seems to have some repetitive text. In fact, they mirror each other across the circle. You also have the same symbol appearing as the first word and the last word in both cases. Each symbol in these areas are separated by an up and down arrow ^v, which are most likely ways to signify separation spaces instead of punctuation. 

Unfortunately, even though JTodd said accent marks have meaning, without more examples of words it would be impossible to tell if those marks within each word are part of the word or if they hold a specific meaning.

Please feel free to add your knowledge in a response!

Nice write up. There were two things that stood out to me in terms of trying to figure out how he created this and what things may mean.

I’m not a linguistics expert, so I decided to largely eschew formal grammar and instead construct a language that is more poetic. Each concept is represented by a single symbol (rather than constructed phonetically) and the order of the “sentences” are done to convey importance rather than meaning.

When I came up with the initial list of “core concepts” that the language would use, I tried to tie the skeleton of that dictionary back to the nature of our gods. 

So I think a lot of the traditional ideas you'd think of when it comes to languages can be thrown out the window because he seems to be taking a more artistic view of the whole thing. I also am trying to figure out how this all relates to the gods. I was looking at the pantheon and world tree pages earlier looking for clues and I'm not sure if any of it has any connection.

But I think a good starting point is a.) figuring out what the three versions of each word mean, and b.) figuring out what the connection to the gods is, because that's the basis for the entire language.

This page and the image following may be useful in some way to start figuring out what the connection is to the "nature of the gods" and how that relates to the basic core concepts (which is the three words you have a picture of above).

http://crowfall.com/en/pantheon/

Crowfall_CrypticTree.jpg

Edited by Leiloni

When I came up with the initial list of “core concepts” that the language would use, I tried to tie the skeleton of that dictionary back to the nature of our gods. In theory, once you figure out the basic words, you could use them to puzzle out the incantation ‘behind’ the in-game effects.

Based on this I will now speculate the concept for each of the 13 Gods

1. Valkyn- Creator
  2. Arkyn-Justice
  3. Cybele- Changer?
  4. Maeve- Envier
  5. Hero- Eternal Suffering
  6. Kronos- Keeper?
  7. Gaea- Giver
  8. D'Orion- Brash
  9. Illara- Uncarer? 
  10. Kane- Attoner
  11. Malekai- Trickster
  12. Yaga- Harvestor
  13. Zaleena- Beguiler

Based on their lore, these should be (hopefully) close to future symbols ACE releases. 

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

1. Valkyn- Creator
  2. Arkyn-Justice
  3. Cybele- Changer?
  4. Maeve- Envier
  6. Kronos- Keeper?
  7. Gaea- Giver
  8. D'Orion- Brash
  9. Illara- Uncarer? 
  10. Kane- Attoner
  11. Malekai- Trickster
  12. Yaga- Harvestor
  13. Zaleena- Beguiler

Based on their lore, these should be (hopefully) close to future symbols ACE releases. 

I guess the main issue I have with this is that the symbols wouldn't have a specific meaning if they were literally just the gods. The symbols have a lot of repeating brush strokes as well which don't seem to match an alphabet either. I'm guessing this is similar to Kanji where the parts of the symbols represent an object or a phrase and those things together mean something as a whole.

Great start on "cracking the code" so far.  With the little that we do know, too many interpretations are possible.  But it is fun just to throw ideas around.  I wish we had some insight into what language groups Todd draws his inspiration from.

Heres a few points I think we could also consider.

The update calls it symbology and goes on to describe a language that might itself be, or might descend from, the words used to create the game universe and name its features.  But Pann starts off by saying "Can you crack the code?"  Is that just hyperbole from Pann, trying to engage interest in the subject? Or does it imply something about the language?  Is this language meant to be revelatory, like a universal language, theoretically accessible to everyone?  Or is it really a code, an attempt to conceal secrets that should not be known to anyone?  We should try and decide which it is, because you'd go about creating each kind of language differently, and so we would have to work on translating it differently and with different assumptions also.

In the image, the sun and moon symbols seem clear, and their implication about passing time is a good possibility.  But they might not be.  They could represent other objects or different concepts.  I know thats pedantic, but working with a logographic language that we have so little information about you have to be careful with your assumptions.  Try not to get so sold on them that you cant toss them later if new info shows they could be wrong.

One thing about the diagram struck me immediately.  The symbols used dont really match up.  Their forms are not congruent.  Compare the symbols for sun and moon, with those for creator, harvest, and change.  Their forms are completely different.  Sun and moon seem like they come from an earlier stage in the development of the symbols.  Creator, change, and harvest are more stylized.  In many logographic writing systems the signs themselves change over time and become less representative of their meaning.  Or maybe the language has 2 or more tiers of signs.  The older tier symbols, sun and moon, represent concepts so general and basic that they are impervious to change.  The newer tier, change and harvest, are for more everyday types of concepts or objects.  I guess it could also just be that way because Todd is not a linguist.

It leads to an intriguing possibility though. 

When I came up with the initial list of “core concepts” that the language would use, I tried to tie the skeleton of that dictionary back to the nature of our gods.

So the language and the concepts it contains link directly back to the gods.  Their personalities and relationships with each other should all effect how it developed.  Its possible that signs and meanings changed because of changing relations between the gods.  Perhaps even outcomes of specific CW's could cause changes to the language.  

The Shibboleth of Feanor (Tolkien, HoME 12)gives a solid example in a fantasy setting for how politics and shifting relationships between important characters can cause sound changes in a language, or a split of one language into different dialects.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to take some time getting familiar with the lore again to give all this some context.

PFq3vWQ.png

Some good insight and I agree with most of what you've said. The one thing that I'm not sure about is the sun and moon symbols. You are correct in stating that they feel different but, I believe that's because they're not actually symbols of the language. I believe the sun and the moon are part of the casters circle. Also, it looks like there are at least 7 distinct words between the words given and the picture above. Some of them separated by spaces and some of them are mashed together like a conjunction.

I haven't had time to look through the lore pages to see if any of the characters pop up but, my guess is that this language is something they didn't plan on adding to the game until after the lore was written.

1. Valkyn- Creator
  2. Arkyn-Justice
  3. Cybele- Changer?
  4. Maeve- Envier
  6. Kronos- Keeper?
  7. Gaea- Giver
  8. D'Orion- Brash
  9. Illara- Uncarer? 
  10. Kane- Attoner
  11. Malekai- Trickster
  12. Yaga- Harvestor
  13. Zaleena- Beguiler

I want to propose the following based on your work.

Creator - Alkryn: First of the siblings

Harvest - Yaga: sister of Alkryn

Change - Kronos: brother to Alkryn/Yaga

This is analysis of the sigil design.

The sentences (for lack of better structure understanding) under the sun, in between circle 1 & circle 2 from the outside, and the one next to the moon are the same.  Along with that the first word and last word are the same.  So the structure goes as follows:

Spacing symbol - ^v

Word 1

Spacing symbol - ^v

Grouped words

Spacing symbol - ^v

Word 1 repeated

Spacing symbol - ^v

What I find interesting is the 3 small stylizations just before the 3rd spacing symbol; those are repeated on 2 different words.  Typically that would indicate that those 3 symbols are structure for verb/noun/adjective/tense – just which one?

The word on the outside circle next to the sun is “change” and then something else.  The only other word on the outside of the circle, between sun & moon, is also the word on the bottom of the sigil; but I don’t think we have enough information to know that word yet.  The base word of creator sits atop sigil between circle 2 & circle 3.  My first guess then is that the lower word may be something like destruction, which would be the opposite of creation; possibly implying protection from destruction.

The last part of the grouped words is also the 2nd word next to “change”.

I'm not sure whether this adds something (and I have not finished reading everyone's contributions), but I find it interesting that creator is a noun but harvest and change are verbs.  Not harvester and changer; not create.  Could mean nothing.

I took that as a hint for the 'y' like ending, but I could ofc be wrong :)

TBH the nouns and verbs could still be the same symbol. Or perhaps they'd have an extra tick, I dunno.

The repeated word would probably be the "base" or the "main part" of the saying - such as "force" for "unrelenting force" (yes, coming from Skryim), or if it was an Ice-rune, it could be "Cold", etc. The other two grouped ones would probably be the specific, such as "hold" (root), "burn"... but that's still more conjecture :P

I do not think "Arkyn" is "Creator", no that is definetely the All-Father. However, Kronos as "Change" does make a lot of sense.

Anyone have any screenshots of the different wards (bane / tree of life / wall) that we could examine as well? Or other runes done by the 'fessor, druid, etc?

( Or any file divers who want to see what other assets they can find... :) )

"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light." ~ Arca Jeth, Star Wars Legends

If you notice, some of the words, even though they are they same, their proportions are slightly skewed. Unfortunately, I think this might just be a byproduct of trying to copy and paste the symbols and transform them to fit the picture.

An example would be the first "Change" in the top left is thicker than the one we were given. Also after the first word of the top left and bottom right series, it looks like there's a comma, where the last word (which is the same word) looks like there is a period. I'm not sure of this is part of the sentence structure or if it's just stretched out because of making it fit to the circle pattern.

Something cool from in-game, the Confessor book pages have runes all over them :

mdY4nKV.png

I noticed this watching MarkeeDragon's stream from Thurs (at 28:45 on the video) when he zoomed in on his Confessor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17BAHeCEM20

Since this is the language of Crowfall magic, I would expect to find it in a lot of places. The page with runes on it doesn't match anything we've seen so far though. Also the casting circle on the right page has some similarities. Three concentric circles and a triangle with a line opposite the hypotenuse. By any chance, do you know what spell was being cast or is this just what shows when the character has her book open?

The concept art as well:

Femal 'fessor:

• Shoulderpads:
    • Over left shoulder
    • Badge thing on right side
    • Maybe the giant symbol on the right shoulder

Crowfall_FemaleConfessorConcept.jpg

Male 'fessor

• Back of right hand and fingers of right hand
  • Burning poker\
  • Interesting but faded hood inscriptions

Crowfall_MaleConfessorConcept.jpg

Both:

• Palm inscription thing (both slightly blocked :c )
  • The book red-text-inscriptions look a little runic as well.
Edited by Michael Fedora

"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light." ~ Arca Jeth, Star Wars Legends