Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Global cooldown

Damion

For switching from the life to death power set, just reading the premise of the druids, this particular thing stands out to me as a very... bulky part of the character, makes it far more difficult to react to situation and basically is going to cause druids to be far more difficult to use strategically. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any penalty for switching from one tree to another, but in the heat of a battle some of that penalty is simply going to be adjusting to the 'new' sequence of commands. 1.5 seconds is an awful long time to be, if not helpless, definitely crippled simply because you had to save an ally, or burn off some energy, or smite the guy charging you (presuming you can do so having spent 1.5 seconds waiting for the change and haven't already died). I would argue that .5 seconds is more than enough 'punishment' for switching, and would likely make the class seem more organic, more capable of reacting to changes in the battlefield without becoming able to switch back and forth freely, if you still want to have some kind of deterrence to switching frequently put in a short restriction making it so that the druid can't change from life to death and back again within a certain period of time, I wouldn't say longer than 10 seconds though, as then you begin to force the same issue. Maybe 3-5 at the most. Of course this is all conjecture, I haven't had an opportunity to play the class, but I've had plenty of time to deal with GCD and that 1.5 seconds is far more hampering than a lot of people realize, most of the time it's a good thing, it prevents abuse of certain powers and abilities, but when it's literally a core feature of the class it can become far more detrimental and really drag at a classes playability. Just my 2 bits on the subject, for what it's worth, see you in the game!

Also, someone had a topic about shapechanging, druids typically get the ability to change into some beast form, wouldn't it be awesome if druids in this world transformed into something related to the 'hunger' that is the prevailing thing for this world. XD

I don't think there should be any GCD to switching. It doesn't work well for the reasons you listed above. Switching itself needs to be instant. You have games like ESO where you can switch back and forth with no CD or GCD and it works really well to allow you to make full use of your abilities. I think GW2 has no GCD but a 6 second CD for tray swapping and that works ok there, but I do prefer the no CD at all version. It allows more freedom in how you use your abilities. I think the essence mechanic is enough to regulate power usage.

I don't think there should be any GCD to switching. It doesn't work well for the reasons you listed above. Switching itself needs to be instant. You have games like ESO where you can switch back and forth with no CD or GCD and it works really well to allow you to make full use of your abilities. I think GW2 has no GCD but a 6 second CD for tray swapping and that works ok there, but I do prefer the no CD at all version. It allows more freedom in how you use your abilities. I think the essence mechanic is enough to regulate power usage.

I tend to agree with you, but I can also understand that balancing is complicated and that sometimes things exist even when they don't seem to make sense from outside, it depends on how they want the character to play, but I personally agree it should be much more limited restriction if any at all.