Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tinnis

Inconsistent hill climbing. Importance for exploring, scouting and siege.

Hello,

On my last test I specifically took no interest in fighting or the siege. [see my data gathering elsewhere #1 #2]

When I was done with that I experimented with: HILL CLIMBING

• Video of my climbing [i hope you like the end! Give me a /10 score sign!]
    • 6uUAXHq.gif

My thoughts:

As I've previously talked about - The importance of vertical terrain for combat / objectives - this element should not be ignored.

The experience is currently inconsistent as to what you can and cannot climb.

It gives the feeling of 'invisible walls' and artificial landscape features.

Also makes it seem that while we have a nice variety of hills visible away from the objectives only - at the moment they might not be of any practical use in wider game play.

I think that if we can see a hill we should be able to climb it.

It is important for:

• immersion 
  • exploring the world
  • scouting resources, points of interest and enemy activity
  • adds more flavor to group vs group fighting and sneaking into enemy lines [or 'juking' / hiding from a zerg on your tail...]

Siege implications:

• defending your strongholds / points of interest by allowing for lookouts for enemy forces
  • alternatively planning a siege by scoping out the enemies defences from above
  • building your strongholds on top of one of these hills
  • building a banewood tree or catapults on top of one of these hills near an enemy stronghold
  • depending on the extent of Assassins glide capacities - a strike force launching from a hill into the heart of a enemy stronghold

Please share your thoughts and views!

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

All terrain should be traversable in some way, even if only assassins can get there.

Likewise, trees should be climbable in some way by someone in CF.

Having said that, those cliffs in your images should only be traversable downward by your ranger unless she has a mountain climbing rune.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

to be fair I think that's how they work in every game

Perhaps - but examples like DAOC and Skyrim - while not unlimited for world boundaries - were very generous and both included a wide variety of tall climbable topography

Likewise, trees should be climbable in some way by someone in CF.

Hah. Now I have an image of a ranger climbing a tree, only to be burned down by a confessor..

...a mountain climbing rune...

An interesting thought. Or make it part of the general Exploration skills...wouldn't be adverse to making it specalised but not as fun as general usage

possibly also extend this to also allow keep wall climbing....:)

Edited by Tinnis

As a member of a dwarf guild intent on climbing and capturing the tallest mountain on our CW, yes.  I don't think they need to go bonkers with height, but giving some different terrains is fun.  I have been relatively pleased with the physics walking around the SP/HD island.

I'm expecting the only "you can't go there" to be the edges of the world [probably oceans]; to compensate for the goal, I don't expect any really intricate mountain models and/or mountain models with pre-designed, accessible city/keep ruins.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

My only (natural) expectation would be that things in this regard at least be . . . consistent, finished, and reasonable, to whatever degree ACE take it.

In the Skyrim example above that's either unfinished code or sloppy / careless presentation if it was intended.

Everyone playing this game is a human (I'm  hoping).  Therefore we all know "stuff can be climbed".

Some stuff climbs easier than others.

Hand and foot holds help, and there are two kinds:  Provided by the terrain or object (e.g. rock finger holds or tree branches), or deployed by the climber (e.g. pitons, ropes, even special boots, etc.)

Difficulty varies depending on the climbing challenge, and at some point the climbing challenge REQUIRES either special physical skills and/or equipment as previously mentioned.  It might still be climbable . . . . by only by those trained, capable, and equipped.

Of potential interest here is the idea of certain mounts capable of climbing to unexpected places (but not likely to surpass a player given mountain climbers are capable of scaling sheer cliff faces and even inverted faces).  Mountian Goats, for example.  Fantastical creatures may alter this of course.

In all cases, to whatever degree they allow it . . . make it consistent . . . with a finished/polished look to it.  

NOT the travesty (heh-heh)  depicted in the Skyrim video.

If I think about it . . . there is the potential (maybe) for some real interest here in the CWs.  Perhaps (random) special discoveries / treasure / what have you that might only be found in remote climbing-accessible locations in HIGH mountain terrain.  Difficult to find.  In this particular instance I'm implying a skill levelling paradigm that is a combination of some kind of climbing skill + climbing gear type and inventory.

Certain players will compete with each other on the mountain faces then.  The general idea anyway 

Or not.  The first request would still stand:  If climbing will be enabled . . . keep it polished, with a finished feel to it.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

p.s. any Guild war 2 players?

the climbing puzzles were really well done in that game

provided varied game play and actually rewarded you for exploring / getting the best views

-

oh and i want that BADASS vertical castle shown in kickstarter....on a giant hill with a draw bridge and lots more verticality on the castle design itself...

GxC6YaH.png

DvLZVNl.png

Edited by Tinnis

p.s. any Guild war 2 players?

the climbing puzzles were really well done in that game

The jumping puzzles are a specialty of GW2, some of them are amazing like Clocktower (or for me, frustrating  :lol: ). It can be a fun mini-game within the game.

They do NOT always mix well with pvp imo, so terrain needs to be designed with a pvp-first attitude. They added some "vertical challenge" in the new WvW desert borderlands maps and it was not well received by the regular WvW players. End result of that:

ArenaNet will also be tackling changes to WvW's current Desert map, based on feedback from players.  

"The feedback has really revolved around reducing the amount of PVE gameplay and gimmicks in World v World," said associate global brand manager Joshua Davis. "It turns out the WvW players really just want to play WvW and have their group of players go against the enemy without any added distractions." 

Edit: I do enjoy varied terrain and the strategic elements that can add, as long as it is designed to enhance pvp play and not detract from it.

Edited by miraluna

tiPrpwh.png

In SWG a player in scout profession could have 'Terrain negotiation skill' which could help you to climb up stiff hills faster.

Something like that in this game will be awsome in my opinion.