Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VIKINGNAIL

World of Warcraft legacy servers...

So recently a private vanilla server was forced to shut down because blizzard told them to... but there has been such a big outcry and people wanting legacy servers that blizzard is going to meet with some of the people involved with the private server to see what comes out of it all...

It would be pretty interesting if blizzard reopened official vanilla servers...

Keep up to date with what's going on here:  https://twitter.com/NostalBegins

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

From their official statements, it sounds like they are seriously considering "Pristine servers", which turn off a lot of the... convenience... meta features? I guess?  Things that affect your character that your character didn't accomplish (Heirloom items, WoW Tokens, etc...)

Although, given their recent push to keep their classic games alive, I wouldn't be surprised if even a vanilla server is in the cards long term - which I would tend to think is what they are talking to Nostalrius (sp?) about.

Edited by yamix

From their official statements, it sounds like they are seriously considering "Pristine servers", which turn off a lot of the... convenience... meta features? I guess?  Things that affect your character that your character didn't accomplish (Heirloom items, WoW Tokens, etc...)

Although, given their recent push to keep their classic games alive, I wouldn't be surprised if even a vanilla server is in the cards long term - which I would tend to think is what they are talking to Nostalrius (sp?) about.

Correct... The nostalrius guys are going in there with the intent to push for legacy servers... This could all be a front by blizzard just to make it seem like they care about the idea and aren't closeminded about it, but they are literally leaving money on the table because the demand for legacy servers is so high.

Correct... The nostalrius guys are going in there with the intent to push for legacy servers... This could all be a front by blizzard just to make it seem like they care about the idea and aren't closeminded about it, but they are literally leaving money on the table because the demand for legacy servers is so high.

I wonder how much of that is demand for a more populated server with more hours of potential play time.  I think a pristine server with a high population cap could be rather fun.

Had i been in charge of blizzard, i would have maken WoW 2. Extremely similiar to WoW Vanilla in every way but Graphics and Engine. Better networking, better graphics, better sounds and whatnot. But very similiar gameplay.

Had i been in charge of blizzard, i would have maken WoW 2. Extremely similiar to WoW Vanilla in every way but Graphics and Engine. Better networking, better graphics, better sounds and whatnot. But very similiar gameplay.

Not sure Blizzard could even afford it, given how high expectations would be.

Old news about it, it would indeed be interesting to see blizzard get WoW vanilla again.

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Nostalgia is a funny thing. As much as I loved vanilla WoW and enjoyed it and think it was the games and debatably the MMO genres pinnacle PvE raiding experience not sure if I'd be very motivated to play on a vanilla server again and try to relive that. Sometimes its just best to have the memories and move on.

Edited by pang

Nostalgia is a funny thing. As much as I loved vanilla WoW and enjoyed it and think it was the games and debatably the MMO genres pinnacle PvE raiding experience not sure if I'd be very motivated to play on a vanilla server again and try to relive that. Sometimes its just best to have the memories and move on.

It's true. Sometimes I wish I could keep the memories. But then someone comes up with an emulator and you get sucked in again. Those memories will never be recreated, but  you keep thinking they will. Must be a mental disorder....

Sucks that Blizzard has to muscle around emulators.

I think blizzard's main problem with nostalrius is that it was making WoW live look bad... Usually if a private server is small they don't really care unless the people are profiting from it.

Nostalrius was hugely popular and had much higher server caps than WoW ever did... it was a completely different ball game.

Really depends where it is hosted... playing WoW with high ping is no bueno.

This is true.  Having it hosted somewhere that can't be DCMA'ed is a good thing though.