Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Durenthal

Where are all the testers?

How many backers have alpha3 or better? 1000? more?

So how is it we are seeing so few people for scheduled tests?  Did hundreds of people back the game to play early rather than to test, and walk away for a while when they discovered that testing involves dealing with incomplete systems, bugs, and crashes?

There's a group of about 50 dedicated testers who show up consistently.  And another 50 or so who show up casually. A peak of 83 concurrent testers in SP is a pretty poor showing on our part as testers.

With ACE performing optimization, they're going to need larger testing groups to show up soon.  I don't think they've ever run more than 2 simultaneous SP instances, and in the last few tests, it's been only 1, and a pretty small one at that.

It would be really nice if more of the testers showed up to test.  If you're having problems with the client, provide that data.  If you find issues that prevent you from playing, or enjoying when you do play, present those.  If you truly find that something is so bad that you can't test, mention it on your way out.  The devs will take note - I'm pretty confident they're not trying to make a game their target audience finds unplayable.  Disappearing without explanation doesn't get the game "back on track" for you.

Iterating changes takes time.  They're a small team.  Blair posted a nice list of things they're working on to make combat flow better and be more fun.  In the meantime they're working on the netcode and performance in the last two tests has been significantly better.  

Ultimately, asking people to do extra work for something they payed for is a hard sell.  I'd say most of the consistent testers just *really* want this to work, and also enjoy it (plus have a lot of time on their hands - I know I haven't played as much lately).

Probably need to see if these times are best, and what they can do about reminding people about the tests and that it does help.  I'm not sure how much reach beyond the people already testing you're going to get on the forums.

To be honest (as much as it pains me) the best way to get a lot of testers per test is to have FEWER tests.

If they only had 1 test per week, or 2 per month. More people would show up. They can also make a big show out of all the changes and new fun things to look forward to in the test.

In the CU alpha there were hardly any people there too (when i triedn the early testing stuff months ago) So I think its pretty common for people to skip tests 

MOkvLlm.png

I imagine many will just hop only to test significant new milestones [new archtypes or modes] and then stop to avoid getting fatigued / burnt out on the the game and waiting

also remember: a lot of the tests are during the day or at key evening hours which won't always work around busy work/life schedules..

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I think if they needed more they would invite more. Think they said before that the current setup of testing is providing just the right the amount of data and feedback they need atm. Found the quote, http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11792-why-is-playtest-times-only-for-15-hours/?p=270809

Edited by pang

I always try to help test when my schedule permits. I think it may really come down to just people's schedules not always able to match up consistently with the testing periods but I can really only speak on my behalf. If the numbers are dwindling, I'm sure ACE will start to add more testers.

I've missed the last few because the prior five or so have been completely unplayable. I figured I can only post, "Intense FPS loss, intense lagg" so many times. It doesn't allow me to do any additional testing either due to the lagg. It's weird, the lagg/fps drop has actually gotten worse compared to previous tests. Without some serious performance improvements I can't play it currently. I decided I would give it a month or so and check back.

Disclaimer, it's not my internet speed (250Mbps) nor my PC.

I also think there are a significant number of people who decided to back financially but not with time.  In other words, they liked the vision and want it to succeed, but they aren't interested in it until it's ready.

I do think fewer tests (maybe one Friday, one during the week) would help @ziz.  Or maybe dedicate all Friday and do morning EU, night US.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I also think there are a significant number of people who decided to back financially but not with time.  In other words, they liked the vision and want it to succeed, but they aren't interested in it until it's ready.

I do think fewer tests (maybe one Friday, one during the week) would help @ziz.  Or maybe dedicate all Friday and do morning EU, night US.

or at least until we hit a broader example of the final vision and systems - the beta etc

its hard to stay hyped about something for a long length of time without getting sick of something - can be better to wait...

i don't know if the mini campaign's persistent server will make this better or worse for concurrent player numbers.

I've missed the last few because the prior five or so have been completely unplayable. I figured I can only post, "Intense FPS loss, intense lagg" so many times. It doesn't allow me to do any additional testing either due to the lagg. It's weird, the lagg/fps drop has actually gotten worse compared to previous tests. Without some serious performance improvements I can't play it currently. I decided I would give it a month or so and check back.

Disclaimer, it's not my internet speed (250Mbps) nor my PC.

also agree - some patches are much more playable and enjoyable than others - both from game performance and game balance...

or at least until we hit a broader example of the final vision and systems - the beta etc

its hard to stay hyped about something for a long length of time without getting sick of something - can be better to wait...

i don't know if the mini campaign's persistent server will make this better or worse for concurrent player numbers.

also agree - some patches are much more playable and enjoyable than others - both from game performance and game balance...

think the mini campaign will be pretty busy, just because it's so new.  And because scheduling small windows in the middle of the day is a nightmare for 25-40 year olds...

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

think the mini campaign will be pretty busy, just because it's so new.  And because scheduling small windows in the middle of the day is a nightmare for 25-40 year olds...

but the flip side of that: 24/7 availability WILL dilute the active player base compared to our fixed 1.5-2 hour window tests.

but the flip side of that: 24/7 availability WILL dilute the active player base compared to our fixed 1.5-2 hour window tests.

Tyrant confirmed in chat there are approx 4-5k testers. If u just add up the Kickstarter packages there are at least 3k alpha2 or above if I recall.

SP population is declining because it's getting very stale and the focus on objectives is not as fun as the pvp focus HD. We're trying to ignore the objectives (kill the catapults,etc.) And just pvp more to increase the fun, but needs druid or the campaign soon....

I bet a ton of folks come back for the first campaign module.

SP population is declining because it's getting very stale and the focus on objectives is not as fun as the pvp focus HD. We're trying to ignore the objectives (kill the catapults,etc.) And just pvp more to increase the fun, but needs druid or the campaign soon....

I wonder (hope not) if us doing that will negatively effect balance? i.e. If we aren't really using the same objectives as the design, will the balance be affected?

Edited by coolwaters

How many backers have alpha3 or better? 1000? more?

So how is it we are seeing so few people for scheduled tests? Did hundreds of people back the game to play early rather than to test, and walk away for a while when they discovered that testing involves dealing with incomplete systems, bugs, and crashes?

There's a group of about 50 dedicated testers who show up consistently. And another 50 or so who show up casually. A peak of 83 concurrent testers in SP is a pretty poor showing on our part as testers.

With ACE performing optimization, they're going to need larger testing groups to show up soon. I don't think they've ever run more than 2 simultaneous SP instances, and in the last few tests, it's been only 1, and a pretty small one at that.

It would be really nice if more of the testers showed up to test. If you're having problems with the client, provide that data. If you find issues that prevent you from playing, or enjoying when you do play, present those. If you truly find that something is so bad that you can't test, mention it on your way out. The devs will take note - I'm pretty confident they're not trying to make a game their target audience finds unplayable. Disappearing without explanation doesn't get the game "back on track" for you.

Iterating changes takes time. They're a small team. Blair posted a nice list of things they're working on to make combat flow better and be more fun. In the meantime they're working on the netcode and performance in the last two tests has been significantly better.

Some wait and some quit all together. I know a few that spent a ridiculous amount and don't test. It's their loss I suppose. Edited by helix

I think it's the performance that keeps people away (speaking for myself and a few others). I've got plenty of games that run at 15 fps that are 24/7 I can play. The hours were also a little off my usual primetime (9pm - 1am PST). If they want to have an optimization blitz, maybe dump more testers in.

Summer is coming. But finals are now. Maybe more pop when school's out.

Edited by headlight

Hopefully they let people with Beta 1 access into the small campaign testing. Otherwise testing wont be possible I guess, meaning there are almost permanently much too less players online to run the test useful or successful.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I'd like to play more myself and having a full time job it is easier to do so when I can log in and test at my leisure instead of the pre planned times. I'd bet many people who bought the alpha 1+2 did so for the features as well. 

I've missed the last few because the prior five or so have been completely unplayable. I figured I can only post, "Intense FPS loss, intense lagg" so many times. It doesn't allow me to do any additional testing either due to the lagg.

Very much this. I'm not sure what changed, but between HD and SP, it's getting harder and harder to give useful feedback that's not related to FPS or latency.

Though the recent netcode change has made a considerable difference.

In regards to people not playing.

You need to keep in mind that some people may be content with just backing the game and waiting for release, or, they may not be interested in early alpha testing.

231e101d88.jpg

Personally I'm missing >50% of the tests this month due to the testing times.  Weekday mid mornings-afternoons are a no go due to work.  Weekends are free EXCEPT Sundays from 9-10 PM where I join several million other folks in watching an HBO show.  They also recently had some US East testing start at 10pm EST, which isn't viable either.  (Again, work in morning)  

I think there's more than a few people in the same boat as me.  

CfWBSig.png