Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Durenthal

Where are all the testers?

also don't forget that summer just started (and ended again here heh), some people have vacations, go out a bit more, might just be otherwise engaged

I'll honestly confess I put in less effort to be present for the tests waiting for the module, mainly because at that point you'll have a bit more freedom,

so announcing said module might have been detrimental to current testing

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

Do you recall where that combat sample was? I'd like to see it. Should still be up I'd imagine.

I believe he refers to the KS video you can still find on the main page (crowfall.com), for some reason.

y9tj8G5.png

TY Fenris.

So here it is:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/description

I honestly didn't notice a single non-rooted attack in that entire video. Did I miss something? It looks extremely consistent with what we're seeing now to me.

Edit: I'm not suggesting I like it, just that what I'm seeing in that video doesn't look inconsistent with what we've seen in game.

Edited by coolwaters

I think just about everybody missed my point about guilds. People want to belong, they want to feel have a vested interest. Building a successful guild takes a lot of time and work. There are a few guilds that have decided to do that while testing, and they will probably reap many rewards early on. But my point is, guilds keep you around, and keep you interested. My guild has a cool cast of characters from many different backgrounds. We sometimes play other games, and we work together to help the guild grow. We just happen to (well, some of us) spend a lot of time testing crowfall as well. These other activities keep me around THIS game, and it keeps me interested and hyped. Keeping the interest of your customer is pretty damned important for a game like this considering they dont have a whole lot of room for error and a small budget.

@syiss You are both right and wrong in your post, and cool was right also. I would agree with you if this was a traditional MMO, with PVE content, questing, and everything else that comes with the genre, that coordinated combat wouldn't be of importance right now. But this game is designed around that very idea, therefore it is important to have some coordination during testing. That doesn't mean everybody that tests needs to coordinate, however I can promise you the power of 15 minds working together will unearth things that a pug will never find. Whether that be bugs, exploits, mechanics etc. 

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this, which is fine.

I will concede though that adding in more social systems, like guilds, would help to keep a larger number of testers interested for longer. Kind of hard to do with the current testing environment though. I suspect we'll see at least a basic version of the guild system in place when the first persistent server comes up (or shortly after).

Schedule. The tests are regional and isolated to specific times, if you do the math, it's obvious that you'd only get a meager fraction of the worldwide access total in each local test.

Interest probably plays a part too, whether it's willingness to participate or attention to test schedule.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

i hope they will, but it just doesn't look like they are currently planning in that direction from the current power foundations.

If they can't figure out a way for abilities to work with elevation in terrain and the such, it would be a huge fail. I have faith that they can fix this (and honestly, they NEED to), cause fighting on flat bland terrain will get real uninteresting and boring fast.

Edited by helix

If they can't figure out a way for abilities to work with elevation in terrain and the such, it would be a huge fail. I have faith that they can fix this (and honestly, they NEED to), cause fighting on flat bland terrain will get real uninteresting and boring fast.

It might look like ass, but could effects  and abilities used at elevation just track (very rapidly) down (or up) vertical walls / incline planes (or decline planes) and resume course when they meet another incline plane (or decline plane - the ground usually)?

I gave them money, time, feedback, I'm waiting for something in return at this point.

Obviously there is a long way to go, but I'm not going to log in for the sake of doing so when I find the current build less than enjoyable and nothing I do/say is going to change that.

Those that want to be unpaid QA/Testers are free to do so, I have other things to do.

Once the build starts to resemble something more fleshed out or whatever, I'll probably hop back in. If it doesn't meet my standards, oh well, some money/time down the drain.

I gave them money, time, feedback, I'm waiting for something in return at this point.

Obviously there is a long way to go, but I'm not going to log in for the sake of doing so when I find the current build less than enjoyable and nothing I do/say is going to change that.

Those that want to be unpaid QA/Testers are free to do so, I have other things to do.

Once the build starts to resemble something more fleshed out or whatever, I'll probably hop back in. If it doesn't meet my standards, oh well, some money/time down the drain.

Reasonable and I completely agree.

To be honest (as much as it pains me) the best way to get a lot of testers per test is to have FEWER tests.

If they only had 1 test per week, or 2 per month. More people would show up. They can also make a big show out of all the changes and new fun things to look forward to in the test.

In the CU alpha there were hardly any people there too (when i triedn the early testing stuff months ago) So I think its pretty common for people to skip tests 

This guy gets it. 

xctwLnf.png

Sadly very busy with real life or I'd love to get some more testing in. Reality is a gripe. Had good fun in the testing thus far, but haven't had time to try SP yet, looking forward to to that when opportunity gives rise.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Personally I think it comes from lack of interest in unfinished games. Game Development, especially early game development, is hell. Players want to play the game as soon as possible, until they get their hands on it and find it underwhelming. That's how I felt with a few games I've kickstarted (Stonehearth, Yogventures: before the development hell, and now Crowfall). The games just weren't interesting or playable enough to justify testing the games and "having fun". If you fail the most fundamental test to see if your game is good (even in its earliest stages) then you need to reevaluate your approach. 

Crowfall always seemed like an interesting concept but lately it has been several mini games that aren't what I payed for. Sure they help with things like combat and stuff but their approach is releasing too little to actually test. When you release 3 archetypes to start off with, what good was that to test combat? I think their system of releasing archetypes one at a time just seems too problematic. You release one, balance it with the other 3, then release another and find out that now you need to rebalance. It's a lot easier to balance everything once they are all there opposed to tampering throughout development. 

The biggest flaw is the fact that Crowfall just isn't the game the backers expected yet. A lot of the key key features aren't there, and it's hardly an mmo at this point. There is a large community dedicated to crafting and trade, neither of which is implemented yet, so you lost them. Another large community likes large scale PvP, which, with maps of about 100 people max currently, is a turn off, so you lost them. Then of course you have the crowd who only plays a finished game, so you lose them. Slap on the people like me that tried it, weren't horribly impressed and had no interest in finding the playtest schedule to give it another shot.

For me it's mostly because of being busy with other things in life right now in terms of participation. But I'm not really all that enthused about testing anything currently.

However, honestly it's not that attractive. Combat is incredibly.. just static and boring right now. It's far, far, far too slow with far, far, far too little movement. It just wasn't what I had expected. I hope it will improve, but honestly, what I consider to be the problems seem like real structural/foundational design decisions; the pace of movement being awfully slow, the lack of movement abilities, the flow of combat, the charge up/animation lock on almost everything being unnecessarily long, etc. If you look on that kickstarter, for example, you see the knight sidestepping and quickly side-attacking, slashing in quick stabs, etc. It moves twice (or more) as fast as what we really have, but also with actual movement alterations. The game feels like you're playing in slowmode most of the time, with little visceral interactions. Few abilities feel fluid, combined with some strange/un-intuitive mechanics such as the dizzy state or managing combat mode.

It's just not visceral or very exciting combat. And that's almost all we have right now (combat); so if what they're showing me isn't really all that fun, I can only give them my 2c so many times before I just stop contributing. It doesn't seem to be changing majorly enough for me to begin having fun in the testing environment rather than just be giving my time for proper testing (which I will do, but only when I can/haven't other things that would be more enjoyable to do).

Edited by taroskin

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

Personally I think it comes from lack of interest in unfinished games. Game Development, especially early game development, is hell. Players want to play the game as soon as possible, until they get their hands on it and find it underwhelming. ...

Yeah, maybe there has been a sea change.  Back in my day, people would walk uphill both ways barefoot in the snow to get into a beta (let alone an alpha) of a MMORPG they were excited about.  Attitudes have changed and I do not think that, especially in this case, is a good thing. 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Could be argued that by continuing to test and give feedback you'd be helping to make that game you are waiting for to come about. Instead of doing nothing and waiting you're pretty much relying on others to make the game for you who may or may not agree with your pov on the direction of the game.

Personally as someone who is also vested in this project I'd rather take a proactive approach.

Edited by pang

Honestly, as soon as I heard Todd's initial vision for the game, early testing access was by far the largest reason I backed at Sapphire. Being part of the process was very important to me. I'll be testing whether I find it fun or not (I do).

Edited by coolwaters

We're lucky we get the testers that we get. If we had 24/7 servers with just a small zone and standing around as we try out abilities instead of the game modes we would be lucky to get 10 people online. It's not some kind of verdict about crowfall, it's the just the nature of the beast with this kind of testing. You can look through testing history from UO pre-alpha to now, unless we have some kind of full working game people just stop showing up.

Making the client download a bit more obvious would be a good step towards having more testers, I bet if devs sent out an email saying 'hey, thanks for backing, the client download is here, the next test is tomorrow', a sticky in the testing forum wouldn't hurt either.