Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Durenthal

Where are all the testers?

FPS was piss poor in later SP games kept me away for a while, Tried the druid yesterday was fun but fps in HUNGER DOME was stuck at 30 where as before I had 50ish... Very bad, they need to optimize the game a lot more.

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

I think some points here need additional explanation/discussion.

1) Yes it is ready imo. I think a game can profit greatly of such an open community development approach, if done right, not like in Shroud of the Avatar.

2) Blizzard was with Project Titan totally seperated/closed to the public audience and failed massive. SOE/Daybreak had a very open approach in the beginning, much like Crowfall/ACE, but they got sold out by Sony, so the game was going to fail.

3) If Overwatch got 10 million sign ups, what do you think how many sign ups a new MMO from Blizzard would have gotten?! You know how many people would sign up for that? Even more than 10 million.

4) This is because the big companys have stopped making new MMOs, because its too risky and they dont got ideas or ambition so far. So because the big ones have stopped making MMOs, now much more light shines on smaller Indie MMOs, having crowdfunding avaiiable today,  many people know that right now is the time if they ever want to make an MMO, so many Indie MMOs are popping up or getting recognized much more as an effect of these circumstances.

I agree that its problematic, that there are so many small Indie MMO projects with small budgets and resources, so they most often arent able to make the MMO they are aiming for. I think it could be better if all these small MMO Indie Dev teams would start to collaborate much more, to which degree and way they see fit, but all of them on their own alone trying to achieve great ambitioned goals, is almost bound to fail, if they arent Star Citizen.

1) "if done right" is the key. I have no doubt that some are willing to deal with the process, but overall, I don't believe enough are to keep "communities" a live for a long period of time without something of substance to work with. Which is fine, there doesn't need to be thousands or hundreds on forums/tests, but it seems that over time the numbers continue to decline which doesn't help the situation.

2) Was just pointing out that companies with 15+ years of experience have issues these days and I have no doubt that both projects had a lot of "new" ideas that would of appealed to people. Getting those ideas into a quality product and out the door aren't easy and I question how much smaller companies will do so. Saying they are catering to a niche and therefore can work with a smaller team/budget doesn't make general game development issues/expectations go away. Unless die hard fans ignore faults and just blindly play anything given them.

3) Blizzard is a unique snowflake where pretty much anything they touch is gold, but they didn't have enough confidence in their project to see it through. I can't assume that the market of today didn't play into that. MOBA/FPS/RTS/CCG are HUGE in comparison to MMORPGs of today or any time in the past, both financially and popularity.

Maybe 20-50k or whatever is enough for some of these smaller games to run on, but its hard to imagine 100-200k+ buying into "soft launched" games for extended periods of time either in play time or money spent to keep them going.

4) Albion Online while not exactly crowdfunded, seems like one of the few doing decently. Star Citizen still has issues with its massive budget in comparison to all the others. I still have hope that some of these games will pull it together, but as time goes on, becomes much less hopeful. 

Maybe six months to a year from now we'll have CF in a state that starts pulling people back and new folks taking a look, but until then, I don't see much reason to test or be involved (which this thread was about).

Edited by APE

Don't think I have participated in as single test... Ever. The times are just flat ridiculous. I have more important things to do, work, education, dog schedule/routine, gym/physical fitness/training, vacation, travel, etc.. Life is busy, time is valuable and 6:30pm to 8:00pm, M-F is pretty unreasonable. Start it at 9PM during the week and I don't even know on the weekends. Need to figure out if its the same time every week, that would make it easier to drop it in the routine.

It also didn't help that I was turned off by the typical tryhard forum community that seemed to be developing. Create a PVP game and all the badasses of the world crawl out from their 8am-8pm - take it in the butt from everyone in society - cave holes, only to come here and lay down their trouser snake like they only wish they could in person (reminds me of the Dark Souls community) but worse because people felt entitled and special for being early. Thus I inevitably disagreed with some of the design decisions and the crappy combat (seriously, don't ask me though because I don't remember it's been so long).

The amount of money I spent vs everything listed is irrelevant tbh. More money can be made, more time cannot. If the game sucks at launch, I move on and at least I helped make it happen with a bit of cash flow.

Edited by funpire

1) "if done right" is the key. I have no doubt that some are willing to deal with the process, but overall, I don't believe enough are to keep "communities" a live for a long period of time without something of substance to work with. Which is fine, there doesn't need to be thousands or hundreds on forums/tests, but it seems that over time the numbers continue to decline which doesn't help the situation.

2) Was just pointing out that companies with 15+ years of experience have issues these days and I have no doubt that both projects had a lot of "new" ideas that would of appealed to people. Getting those ideas into a quality product and out the door aren't easy and I question how much smaller companies will do so. Saying they are catering to a niche and therefore can work with a smaller team/budget doesn't make general game development issues/expectations go away. Unless die hard fans ignore faults and just blindly play anything given them.

3) Blizzard is a unique snowflake where pretty much anything they touch is gold, but they didn't have enough confidence in their project to see it through. I can't assume that the market of today didn't play into that. MOBA/FPS/RTS/CCG are HUGE in comparison to MMORPGs of today or any time in the past, both financially and popularity.

Maybe 20-50k or whatever is enough for some of these smaller games to run on, but its hard to imagine 100-200k+ buying into "soft launched" games for extended periods of time either in play time or money spent to keep them going.

4) Albion Online while not exactly crowdfunded, seems like one of the few doing decently. Star Citizen still has issues with its massive budget in comparison to all the others. I still have hope that some of these games will pull it together, but as time goes on, becomes much less hopeful. 

Maybe six months to a year from now we'll have CF in a state that starts pulling people back and new folks taking a look, but until then, I don't see much reason to test or be involved (which this thread was about).

To 3)

I think that it is of course that these other genres (MOBA/Shooter/RTS? - not really huge/TCG - only Hearthstone really) are huge because there simply isnt a longtime appealing MMO out there throughout the whole time after WoW, and WoW is still huge/much bigger in comparison to most or all Shooter and second rate MOBA.

Of course the players who cant find an appealing MMO, dont play an MMO even if they want to, but they go into other genres, or stop gaming fully.

If Project Ttan or EverQuest Next could have delivered they would have been huge/gigantic successes I believe. But they are just much more complicated to produce and maintain than a MOBA or Shooter.

Star Citizen is showing how challenging it is create a modern MMO with all the technology avaiable today, and Star Citizen also shows how many people are wanting a modern MMO and are even willing to take high risks for that theirselves, just to realize this dream of a modern MMO which isnt boring garbage. The MMO and need of a modern interesting MMO is stlll huge, it even has never been more huge than right now, because the MMO genre/landscape is a wasteland, with only uninspired/uncreative boring titles avaiable to customers.

But We have 2016 now, and games/MMOs could be soo sooo much more, and they have to be soo much more in my opinion. But all the major companys are scared chickens and prefer to make small titles, which people played already 15 years ago.

I dont say this is wrong, new titles in an (existing) genre are pretty normal and welcome, but I got the impression they all left the MMO genre scared and not knowing what to do, after delivering only crap titles without any kind of soul or creativity on their own into them.

If there was a game/MMO on the level of Project Titan, EverQuest Next or Star Citizen, it really would take of and be a huge success. And not only that, but also changing the whole industry by setting new standards and pushing the bar higher, showing the world what a game is capable of, capable to be, capable to offer, capable to generate a unique experience only the MMO genre is able to, making people use their imagination and showing amazing endless possibilities to have a unique experience, this is the magic of the MMO genre, which only this genre has.

Look at all the videos out there wanting this new modern MMO exprience, its really great. The people and market need a game inspsiring people, pushing limits, using techznology which is there and waiting to be implemented into games for years already. Its very much time indeed!

To 4)

Albion Online is a crowdfunded game. Players can purchase "Founder's Packs" which grant access to the closed play-tests.

Yes, Star Citizen really has to make some progress indeed. There isnt too much happening people from the outside could perceive. They really got to pull something off. I am not happy with the progress of Star Ctizen,  but I still got hope for it. Its not terrible failing already or so, but they really got to speed up a bit.

Its looking decent with Crowfall at the moment in my opinion. Nothing unexpected or I would really be concerned about happened for me. From a game development cycle its all still in a decent acceptable range. By the end of the year they should have a a game experience which isnt fully fledged already, but is stable and a decent amount of fun to participate in already.

I really appreciate your involvement in the forums, its always nice to discuss things and talk about something you really like or care about. I personally participate in the tests because I like the people of the community and its always so much fun gathering in these tests all together. I really enjoy it. Its the people of Crowfall and the community for me, which are the essential/determinant factors for me to get myself involved with Crowfall.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

It also didn't help that I was turned off by the typical tryhard forum community that seemed to be developing. Create a PVP game and all the badasses of the world crawl out from their 8am-8pm - take it in the butt from everyone in society - cave holes, only to come here and lay down their trouser snake like they only wish they could in person (reminds me of the Dark Souls community) but worse because people felt entitled and special for being early. Thus I inevitably disagreed with some of the design decisions and the crappy combat (seriously, don't ask me though because I don't remember it's been so long).

Abrasive behaviors are probably more frequent on the forum of a game catering to the PvP crowd and I agree that it can get frustrating at times. That coupled with the freedom of expression we are generally given by ACE surely can lead to situations where some users are turned off. I still prefer the way it's done here vs. tyrannic environment where our posts are mysteriously disappearing, excessive user bans and general feeling of unfairness. Here we're free to criticize ACE, to talk poorly made socks (moderately), post images, opinions, go off-topic (reasonably) and we're not treated like we're in a Kindergarten. It's the 2 sides of the freedom coin I believe. :P  

Well currently I don't really have that much time to spend on gaming and since the tests are usually at the later evening when I'm mostly going out or simpy recovering from work, etc. Once we see longer testing periods I guess we see more people. 

Next is the fact that currently there are no Archetypes which are interesting to me. I usually play Knight which is fun but my focus is on the Templar and Frostweaver. I may try out other Archetypes when you can spend more time on them to get into them. 

Lastly - I didn't get to play that much SP matches (infact only 3 with 2 being ruined by fps issues) so well... once SP comes up again (or the Throne War Module) I guess it is going better. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Abrasive behaviors are probably more frequent on the forum of a game catering to the PvP crowd and I agree that it can get frustrating at times. That coupled with the freedom of expression we are generally given by ACE surely can lead to situations where some users are turned off. I still prefer the way it's done here vs. tyrannic environment where our posts are mysteriously disappearing, excessive user bans and general feeling of unfairness. Here we're free to criticize ACE, to talk poorly made socks (moderately), post images, opinions, go off-topic (reasonably) and we're not treated like we're in a Kindergarten. It's the 2 sides of the freedom coin I believe. :P  

I agree. Why I will be more active closer to launch though. Coupled of course with my other reasons.

I took a small break, partially work and family, partially weird test scheduling times, and partially waiting for better optimization/smooth combat. I found the combat more than anything frustrating, landing combos felt like a chore. I felt certain classes could hop or zip around the field way to frequently to make combo's meaningful, the constant lag didn't help matters either. Lastly SP was becoming overly repetitive.

Everything is still in testing so rather than becoming more frustrated I felt taking a break and revisiting after some time would be a goods option, hopefully some of the issues will or have been addressed. Also I don't see a point in burning out before the game launches.

Edited by Apok

Also, ACE said they'd be bringing HD back for Druid testing, so there's that.

I'll be there :D

To All:

I think many of us early backers/testers are busy with work and family these days. It's summer, the kids are out of school, vacations are happening, and it's just hard to carve out time for testing. It's especially difficult with the test schedule. I agree with previous posters' suggestions that less frequent tests scheduled during evening and weekend afternoons and evenings, maybe twice a month, would be more time-friendly for the professional set. Heck, I'm sort of off for the summer, but I can't manage to find time to sit down and read a book or play a game. Life, it's an endurance contest with the universe. 

I tried to play Hearthstone, Don't Judge!, and I just didn't have the time. I want to play Overwatch, but I don't have time, I want to play DOOM, I want to farm a certain Rat in the Spiral, but I don't have time.

I will, however, MAKE time for my Druid healer.  Oh yes. 

I seriously need to catch up with updates. 

Cheers,

Iri~

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Very sporadic, seems most of the testing happens around the 2pm EST time frame which is pretty early for anyone in NA not to mention those of us that are not EST. It would be better imo if they had more between the 6-10 om EST throughout the week instead of Fridays/Saturdays, this is (at least for me and the people I know) when I like to venture out into that place known as the Real World and do something with family and/or friends.

I think that it is of course that these other genres (MOBA/Shooter/RTS? - not really huge/TCG - only Hearthstone really) are huge because there simply isnt a longtime appealing MMO out there throughout the whole time after WoW, and WoW is still huge/much bigger in comparison to most or all Shooter and second rate MOBA.

Of course the players who cant find an appealing MMO, dont play an MMO even if they want to, but they go into other genres, or stop gaming fully.

If Project Ttan or EverQuest Next could have delivered they would have been huge/gigantic successes I believe. But they are just much more complicated to produce and maintain than a MOBA or Shooter.

Star Citizen is showing how challenging it is create a modern MMO with all the technology avaiable today, and Star Citizen also shows how many people are wanting a modern MMO and are even willing to take high risks for that theirselves, just to realize this dream of a modern MMO which isnt boring garbage. The MMO and need of a modern interesting MMO is stlll huge, it even has never been more huge than right now, because the MMO genre/landscape is a wasteland, with only uninspired/uncreative boring titles avaiable to customers.

But We have 2016 now, and games/MMOs could be soo sooo much more, and they have to be soo much more in my opinion. But all the major companys are scared chickens and prefer to make small titles, which people played already 15 years ago.

I dont say this is wrong, new titles in an (existing) genre are pretty normal and welcome, but I got the impression they all left the MMO genre scared and not knowing what to do, after delivering only crap titles without any kind of soul or creativity on their own into them.

Blizzard's success is tied entirely to the fact that they realized they had a strong foothold in the casual market, and I don't mean "casual" in a derogative way. All their games are intended to be entry points and that's why their numbers are so high. Read the dozen of articles out about their stuff, though I'm sure most of us have already experienced learning that someone you'd never expect played one of Blizzard's game.

For a lot of people WoW is their first (and usually only) MMORPG, and that's the key. Blizzard's numbers are high because they drew in a huge amount of players that really don't play the genre. A lot of Overwatch players don't even play FPS games, but the game is really easy to get into and to feel good playing.

Ultimates are all easy to use, require no thought, and have a high potential for destruction. Sniper classes get a load of assistance with aiming in addition to headshot hit boxes so large you can literally still hit someone fully behind cover. There's no KDA and you can't see how well someone else is doing, you simply get awarded for personal contribution and get bonus xp for winning and nothing else. I play the game, but it's easy to see that it's designed for people outside the genre.

There are a lot of similar examples in all their other current games. Heroes of the Storm made MOBAS easily accessible and is considered the most casual friendly and easy to play MOBA at the moment. Hearthstone proved TCGs didn't have to be complex, trading the deep gameplay loved by veteran genre fans and diluting the game so the base elements of a TCG can be more easily enjoyed by a far wider range of people. Like, pretty much anyone I know who plays Hearthstone never ever played another TCG. Half of them have never heard of Magic the Gathering.

The list goes on, the point being Blizzard decided they wanted to be genre gatekeepers and scoop up all the people who would otherwise never play the genre. I can't fault them for that despite it meaning that Blizzard rarely ever caters to players like me. It's just damn good business.

That's why these games are huge and why other companies try to mimic them, because they want to cast a wide net. That's also why, in response, the only market left are the niche ones. That's what's letting games like Crowfall, Camelot, and Star Citizen exist. Big Boy companies fear it's too narrow to be economical while companies like Artcraft attempt to appeal to the niche's fanbase because, so long as they don't have a lot of competition dividing them up, they add up to a substantial amount.

Edited by Cerulean Shaman

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

I think Star Citizen got the potential to become bigger than WoW ever was.

They keyword is potential, but like I just finished saying it also depends on how complex Star Citizen is and how much time/effort it requires. Blizzard's big numbers and the profits from it come from all the non genre players. If Star Citizen continues to cater to the space sim niche (who are all eager to throw money at their screen it seems) then they'll probably be popular and sustainable but not big.

Considering how frustrating stuff in the game is now like people blowing up your idle ship while you explore on foot and then just flying away, I can't imagine more casual prone players enjoying the game and they are the vast majority of the market now.

We'll see, game has to freaking release first for us to find out, meh.

I think Star Citizen got the potential to become bigger than WoW ever was.

The inherent problem with Star Citizen (also kickstarted that and spent quite a bit of money), is what exactly is it trying to do? I don't think it knows. It hates its own pvp fanbase and alienates them on a daily basis (at least, from a pirate perspective), it's not a player run sandbox because NPC's control everything, best I can speculate it's Barbie & Ken meets space ships in Tabula Rasa.

Idk, I know a whole other topic, sorry lol.

They keyword is potential, but like I just finished saying it also depends on how complex Star Citizen is and how much time/effort it requires. Blizzard's big numbers and the profits from it come from all the non genre players. If Star Citizen continues to cater to the space sim niche (who are all eager to throw money at their screen it seems) then they'll probably be popular and sustainable but not big.

Considering how frustrating stuff in the game is now like people blowing up your idle ship while you explore on foot and then just flying away, I can't imagine more casual prone players enjoying the game and they are the vast majority of the market now.

We'll see, game has to freaking release first for us to find out, meh.

I think you are looking at the world too much through the blizzard perspective. Star Citizen got the people giving them money and cheering for them, because they are wanting to see the magic of a big MMO, not primarily a space sim game. They give them money because they are enthusiastic and because the devs are enthusiastic as well. People are dreaming of a huge dynamic online world which they can influence and change and have impact and all of that, thats what people war dreaming of and waiting for, many people, they wanna feel the magic only real MMOs can deliver. Thats what makes Star Citizen successful.

Blizzards financial success is based on WoW, and WoW was successful because people wanted to experience this magic of a vast open online world in the first place, and second place because it was appealing and not too difficult to enter. And Blizzard failed massively with their second MMO Project Titan. Why? Lack of ideas, inspiration, creativity, responsibility, competence and generally knowing what you are doing yourself. They were basically not able to make an MMO and then told you that its impossible to make a good MMO today or that they arent capable of that or willing to try to do that anymore. Which is sad or a joke.

Star Citizen on the other hand is ambitious, they really wanna create something, they got ambition and desire. They really wanna make this ambitious game. Blizzard not, they only want money. And because Star Citizen is ambitious, its complex of course, but in a good productive way. Not complex in getting into the game or playing the game, its complex in a very good sense, in enabling the game to offer the player a unique very appealing game experience, which only thiy one game is capable of. Its not a plain simple, dumb game which isnt capable of anything and where you just run around on a map and hit other players with your tap targetting spells and thats all this game got to offer and will ever have to offer to you. Star Citizen is sapable of much much muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more. And this is a MUST for every MMO nowadays. People and the person myself are sick of these stupid, dump, simple games, which all are basically the same and got nothing to offer basically, because we all played them already, because they are all the same. And they are all static and boring. Star Citizen is not, and EverQuest Next was/is so popular because they knew exactly this. That exactly this is the fail for all the MMOs out there, they knew what they had to change and how, and why.

Lets escape this MMO clone wasteland and find a new world somewhere, dont be afraid, it is defintely out there somewhere, we just have to be brave and stand up and go out there to find it! Lets escape!

Eeeehh, ok, where was I again?! What was my original intention with that again?

Ah yes.

Star Citizen is in Alpha right now, so of course they game is far faaaar from being complete, and people an blew up ships and ships are respawning again right after that and all, thats Alpha! But I hope thre will be risk for the players in the release version, like it is planned with Crowfall too. So of course if you blow up the ship it wont be easy for you to fly around in UEE space anymore, but not impossible to do so either, you will get a wanted level and if you continue to do so, you will be a pirate and so on. There will be safe space and different levels of unsafe space, with dangers from Aliens, Pirates and cosmic/planetary events (asteroid fields, electric storms, acid atmosphere of planets, Black hole, Super-Nova, Civil war). So of course if you go into unsafe territory you have to go there prepared. Thats easy to understand, but thats also what all the MMO games are missing and why the survival genre got so enormous successful out of sudden. And this also implicates that player interaction is needed, another important feature/aspect many MMOs are missing nowadays.

So yes, I can imagine casual players enjoying Star Citizen like no other game before, literally loving the game, for this unique awesome experience it is capable of offering them. There is so much you can do and just so much possibilities, there is something for everyone to enjoy, very much big chunk of something to have very very much fun and joy with.

I am not so much into space sims for example usually and got late to Star Citizen because of that, and Star Citizen is so much more than just a space sim, which i had to learn when I was looking at the game myself. I am not hardcore MMO player or anything like that, I am running around in Guild Wars 2 still with equipment I got quick, and which really isnt hard to get, because I am just playing games for having fun, I dont know if this is a casual like perspective for playing a game or so, but thats how I am playing games. I dont wanna be the most powerful or so in Crowfall too, like all these hardcore PvP players/guilds rambling around in forums and so. For me its about fun and joy, having a great, fun, interesting game experience and fun together with other players/people.

So with EverQuest Next gone sadly, lets hope for Crowfall and Star Citizen!

The inherent problem with Star Citizen (also kickstarted that and spent quite a bit of money), is what exactly is it trying to do? I don't think it knows. It hates its own pvp fanbase and alienates them on a daily basis (at least, from a pirate perspective), it's not a player run sandbox because NPC's control everything, best I can speculate it's Barbie & Ken meets space ships in Tabula Rasa.

Idk, I know a whole other topic, sorry lol.

Star Citizen doesnt hate their PvP fanbase, nor do they do they alienate players who wanna beome pirates.

Pirates are a fundamental component of the Star Citizen universe.

There are planets planned especially for pirates, space ships especially for pirates, in the last update even a whole space station was implemented especially for pirates. Pirates are very important for Star Citizen. The whole game gets build around people attending the laws and people who are not. There will be so many opportunities for illegal business in Star Ctizen, its really immense.

Star Citizen isnt an only player run sandbox because for one reason, they are financing this project through selling ships, and that would be a no go if the game was an only player run sandbox, because it would be pay to win.

But this doesnt say that the game can not totally change 2-3 years after launch into a whole other direction, maybe more of like a players run sandbox. The UEE could be breaking apart into 3-4 factions or so throughout an ongoing living story, or some minor parts could seperate themselves from the UEE. Or 1-2 new alien races could show up/be discovered, which players can align with. Or pirates could find a new solar system.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Star Citizen

I'm proud to admit I have spent $0 on spaceships.jpg.

I thought the most recent Thursday playtest seemed fine, population wise.  I think the standard 9-5 work schedule conflicting with recent test times is the primary culprit here.  

CfWBSig.png

Blizzards financial success is based on WoW, and WoW was successful because people wanted to experience this magic of a vast open online world in the first place, and second place because it was appealing and not too difficult to enter. And Blizzard failed massively with their second MMO Project Titan. Why? Lack of ideas, inspiration, creativity, responsibility, competence and generally knowing what you are doing yourself. They were basically not able to make an MMO and then told you that its impossible to make a good MMO today or that they arent capable of that or willing to try to do that anymore. Which is sad or a joke.

Star Citizen on the other hand is ambitious, they really wanna create something, they got ambition and desire. They really wanna make this ambitious game. Blizzard not, they only want money. And because Star Citizen is ambitious, its complex of course, but in a good productive way. Not complex in getting into the game or playing the game, its complex in a very good sense, in enabling the game to offer the player a unique very appealing game experience, which only thiy one game is capable of. Its not a plain simple, dumb game which isnt capable of anything and where you just run around on a map and hit other players with your tap targetting spells and thats all this game got to offer and will ever have to offer to you. Star Citizen is sapable of much much muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more. And this is a MUST for every MMO nowadays. People and the person myself are sick of these stupid, dump, simple games, which all are basically the same and got nothing to offer basically, because we all played them already, because they are all the same. And they are all static and boring. Star Citizen is not, and EverQuest Next was/is so popular because they knew exactly this. That exactly this is the fail for all the MMOs out there, they knew what they had to change and how, and why.

Lets escape this MMO clone wasteland and find a new world somewhere, dont be afraid, it is defintely out there somewhere, we just have to be brave and stand up and go out there to find it! Lets escape!

Firstly, Blizzard was financially successful before World of Warcraft. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. World of Warcraft made them the juggernaut every gamer knows of today, but they were a pretty big boy before that. I don't disagree with your assessment of WoW, but when it first released out it wasn't even that popular, it caught fire and blew up over time as it became more accessible. They did a lot of things that were new at the time and it worked. Project Titan didn't fail, Blizzard simply said what they believed and so far proved: MMORPGs are too risky profit-wise, so why do it when other genres can steal concepts from MMORPGs but are cheaper and safer? So they made other multiplayer games, MOBAS, Arena Shooters, and ARPG... and it's making them big bucks while WoW is still a fat cash cow.

Since then Blizzard has applied what they learned in WoW-cater to the casuals-in all their other games.

Star Citizen is indeed ambitious. They promised a lot of stuff that simply isn't out there yet. As they gained steam and realized people wanted another true space sim, they started promising more. We'll see when it finally releases... Elite Dangerous made a lot of promises too... and now it's a Buy to Play MMORPG that really isn't that great and is repetitive as all hell. They changed directions a lot during development. It happens.

I'm not saying Star Citizen won't deliver and I'm as excited about it as anyone else, but in my humble opinion what it's trying to become will probably scare away the casuals. There's nothing wrong with that. My whole argument is advocating realistic expectations.

Most of us are here for the reason anyway. We're tired of the same old crap and want something fresh, something different. That's why I'm here, anyways. Crowfall is sharing a lot of the current same problems as Star Citizen though... a lot of the promises are still promises. That will change slowly over time, but I reign back on testing Crowfall for the same reason I reign back on testing Star Citizen.

Edited by Cerulean Shaman