Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FLA Town Crier: Voting Power!

council_of_elrond_-_fotr.png

FLA TOWN CRIER

So, yes I did miss a couple Town Criers. Now we're back and ready to drop a big one on everyone. While trying to explain what the FLA is and how we are setup we get lot's of question on "who's in charge?" The short answer is, everyone. The long answer is The Free Lands of Azure are a collaboration between all of it's members. The Small Council (EK Architect, Master of Ceremonies, Community Overseer, Head Hunter, and Lore Master) handle organizing basic FLA functions. We work along side guild leaders and Nobles to establish goals, run events, and the general direction our EK will go. Beyond some foundation laws (RP in the RP zone, PvP in the PvP zone) each group is responsible for maintaining order in their own territory.

With having all this in mind I'd like to pose a question to everyone: 

"Should voting power be based on how much land someone has?"

**EXAMPLE ONLY** 

• Land Owned - Votes Counted
  • Cottage - 1
  • Villa - 2
  • Manner - 3
  • Small Fort - 5
  • Medium Fort - 7
  • Large Fort - 10
  • Small Keep - 15
  • Medium Keep - 20
  • Large Keep - 25
  • Small Castle - 50
  • Medium Castle - 75
  • Large Castle - 100

Before I get into some reasons why this may be a good idea (and a terrible one at the same time) I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. 

Edited by Keaggan

I don't think this is a good idea. This system gives priority to people with the most money to spend. In my opinion, if you're holding a vote, it should simply be a popular vote. 1 citizen gets 1 vote. Guild affiliation shouldn't be taken into account (because not all guild members will want to vote the same way).

I understand that a heavier weight on decisions have to be granted to players/citizens which give more support to the community. 

However in my opinion different voting power is not the best way to accomplish this goal.

I'd rather imagine a vote is given only on matters in which a player is an active part.

A  few examples:

• All citizens get one vote to decide if increasing the land dedicated to pvp or rpg.  
  • Only owners of a keep (or larger building) can vote on decisions about removing a keep from the Land,
  • Each guild get one vote for expelling a guild.

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

I can definitely see this question as a touchy subject. Which is why Keaggan is bringing it to light prior to too many guilds and/or people get registered. It's much better to establish a system and have people join, knowing HOW things work. Than to revisit this with 30 individuals and 12 different guilds.

The "Investment Voting" that Keaggan brought up as an example offers more than just a voice. It's prestige. It's a thank you and a nod from the Small Council for helping the community grow, and so they have more of a say. However, that can be intimidating to those new to FLA or even to those considering joining. It can also lead to bullying/overpowering the voters to essentially muscle their way into something that they want.

The traditional voting as IdeaMatrix stated is pretty standard, and is one of those "Tried and True" methods. Every player involved has a choice. On the other hand, giving voice to trolls is what ruins things.  

The sort of "Bill of Votes" that RikForFun is suggesting targets voters that are directly impacted by the outcome. This helps compartmentalize issues and keeps things more compact and organized. This could simplify things, but I have a sneaky suspicion that people outside the reason of the vote will find a way to make it affect them. 

When developing a system, especially such an important system, it's vital to keep focus on the goals. We have to remember that regardless if there is turmoil between guilds, or folks who only log on once a week, everyone needs a voice. 

My suggestions would be instead of a numeric vote, I'd offer up a forum. Numbers are secondary to reasoning in my opinion.

OS_Sig3.png

• 3 weeks later...

(This is the American Political Model XD)

Not every kingdom is going to be made up of friends, all in for the betterment of the group. In fact, the downfall of Kingdoms will be able to occur by internal political intrigue more readily in this model. An individual with a great deal of sway financially will be able to guide the course of the kingdom more easily. I would think that a micro currency should be introduced which behaves in the following ways:

• Players in a Kingdom have categorical stats (XP for a given time period) which result in 'Voting Credits'
  • Voting is broken up by Topic.
  • A crafter in the Kingdom earns 'Crafting Voting Credits' based on contributing to the the crafting health of the Kingdom during a given window. (The same for a Combat, and a Community [Or whatever it happens to be])

This way, no matter the size of the Kingdom, the people VOTING are the people who care about the systems they're partaking in. If a player wishes to weigh in on a vote for a particular system, they have but to invest their time in earning those voting credits for that period. In this way, the leadership in the kingdom can also help to point the activities of the group as a whole.

6nraKf.png

(This is the American Political Model XD)

Not every kingdom is going to be made up of friends, all in for the betterment of the group. In fact, the downfall of Kingdoms will be able to occur by internal political intrigue more readily in this model. An individual with a great deal of sway financially will be able to guide the course of the kingdom more easily. I would think that a micro currency should be introduced which behaves in the following ways:

• Players in a Kingdom have categorical stats (XP for a given time period) which result in 'Voting Credits'
  • Voting is broken up by Topic.
  • A crafter in the Kingdom earns 'Crafting Voting Credits' based on contributing to the the crafting health of the Kingdom during a given window. (The same for a Combat, and a Community [Or whatever it happens to be])

This way, no matter the size of the Kingdom, the people VOTING are the people who care about the systems they're partaking in. If a player wishes to weigh in on a vote for a particular system, they have but to invest their time in earning those voting credits for that period. In this way, the leadership in the kingdom can also help to point the activities of the group as a whole.

I like that idea. But it would simply be impossible to keep track of. We aren't talking about any/all EKs. This is exclusively to the FLA EK. That said, it would require a large team and no small amount of honor to keep this system in check.

OS_Sig3.png

• 2 months later...

I don't think this is a good idea. This system gives priority to people with the most money to spend. In my opinion, if you're holding a vote, it should simply be a popular vote. 1 citizen gets 1 vote. Guild affiliation shouldn't be taken into account (because not all guild members will want to vote the same way).

Works great in a Utopia, but the truth is that some players will have more skin in the game and should have a bigger say in the matter otherwise the people with all the big shiny stuff will pack up and take their goods elsewhere. 1 vote per citizen minimum and maximum vote per citizen is set to the number of parcels they own/manage. This at least allows everyone to have a voice without putting too much power in the hands of those who have larger properties. All of this is subject to EK demographics, but do what you want, as a non-citizen I have 0 votes.

Edited by Verot