Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scree

Small Concerns About The Larger Community

I apologize to the player that wished to contribute to the conversation, but all I noticed was the was I got quoted and they highlighted sections of my posts with bold lettering? I'm not sure. I didn't really read it. It might have been someone who prefers to write their reply inside my own quote as if it's their own content but yet it's my content as well? I don't respond to that style.

Overall they do a fantastic job here. The only criticism I've ever had is some inconsistent enforcement of the rules as written, largely caused by abuse of the report button by backers and an overworked moderation staff.

But in the big picture, ya, they do pretty good.

I concur, in the big picture, they do their job. There is some inconsistency in the enforcement of rules that I have experienced as well.

Deloria, you've used the following terms:

"hugs"

"wild west"

referred to Shadowbane as SB

"toxicity"

"grinds my gears"

You sound reminiscent of a player or subset of players that have posted here before. For whatever reason, you're an alt. This is indicative by your claims to remember the community a year ago yet your account is 2 months old. While I took the time to speak my opinion clear of malice, you took the time to preach against unconstructive posting while unconstructive posting.

You either refer to the time pre-kickstarter in which mass bans occurred for good reason. The irony of your applause for these bans is that some of those accounts were actually unbanned. And the fact that an unruly moderator was fired for going overboard. The other side of irony is that two of the most vocal players on Crowfall were actually banned on alt accounts. Good bans, right? Or what about the most visible and well known ban of a player? That player was banned for actually sending out positivity and good vibes. ACE wanted him to turn around be a positive poster. So he did. They banned him for mockery. Find that one in the Rules of Conduct.

And the irony of that? He claimed to be a few accounts that are no longer active, one of which was actually a positive poster he was emulating that led to his ban.

Edited by headlight

Yeah I get the feeling that Deloria is not as simple as she peretends to be. She claimed being a newcomer to the board some time ago, not knowing whar shadowbane was.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/12523-shadowbane-please-explain-it-to-me-like-im-5/

Yet now she says that she was around here a year ago. Sounds suspicious. Right Oridi ? :D

Edited by rajah

That player was banned for actually sending out positivity and good vibes. ACE wanted him to turn around be a positive poster. So he did. They banned him for mockery. Find that one in the Rules of Conduct.

Do you actually believe this player was sincerely being positive and sending out good vibes?  Because it seems like you are presenting the situation in a disingenuous way.  Especially when you factor in the behavior and actions that followed from said player.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I apologize to the player that wished to contribute to the conversation, but all I noticed was the was I got quoted and they highlighted sections of my posts with bold lettering? I'm not sure. I didn't really read it. It might have been someone who prefers to write their reply inside my own quote as if it's their own content but yet it's my content as well? I don't respond to that style.

I concur, in the big picture, they do their job. There is some inconsistency in the enforcement of rules that I have experienced as well.

Deloria, you've used the following terms:

"hugs"

"wild west"

referred to Shadowbane as SB

"toxicity"

"grinds my gears"

You sound reminiscent of a player or subset of players that have posted here before. For whatever reason, you're an alt. This is indicative by your claims to remember the community a year ago yet your account is 2 months old. While I took the time to speak my opinion clear of malice, you took the time to preach against unconstructive posting while unconstructive posting.

You either refer to the time pre-kickstarter in which mass bans occurred for good reason. The irony of your applause for these bans is that some of those accounts were actually unbanned. And the fact that an unruly moderator was fired for going overboard. The other side of irony is that two of the most vocal players on Crowfall were actually banned on alt accounts. Good bans, right? Or what about the most visible and well known ban of a player? That player was banned for actually sending out positivity and good vibes. ACE wanted him to turn around be a positive poster. So he did. They banned him for mockery. Find that one in the Rules of Conduct.

And the irony of that? He claimed to be a few accounts that are no longer active, one of which was actually a positive poster he was emulating that led to his ban.

I can promise you I'm not an alt. All I did was offer you hugs o.O

all of those terms are pretty evenly used throughout the forums - except the grinding of gears which is a futurama thing..

I didn't get involved in the community until recently cos I wanted to wait for RP to happen. That doesn't mean I didn't visit to see what was going on from time to time. But when I first came here I checked out the dregs and other places. The fallout is verymuch visible from what it used to be.

I'm really sincerely sorry you're not happy here - but it doesnt take a brainiac to see it.

Everything youre typing these days is about how bad the community is.. but sorry for you its not. 

Spin that however you want but you gave up a while ago and I guess you like the disruption more than the conversations.

Someone hanging round a place they're not happy = sad. You don't need to invent conspiracy theories to vent your discontent tho.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Yeah I get the feeling that Deloria is not as simple as she peretends to be. She claimed being a newcomer to the board some time ago, not knowing whar shadowbane was.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/12523-shadowbane-please-explain-it-to-me-like-im-5/

Yet now she says that she was around here a year ago. Sounds suspicious. Right Oridi ? :D

That was nearly 2 months ago. I read every reply o.O Have you read that thread?

Its a history lesson in SB.

Now I know what SB is thanks very much. I love that you're making this about me but..sincerely I dont think you need to go to the trouble. Im not hiding. <.< Im pretty sure if you google you'll find my RP and stuff all over the place. 

And to reiterate.. I've been checking the Crowfall forums for a while before I first posted.

Anyone who knows me knows RP is my interest. Want me to point you to my imvu as well? My second life ? My gmail? my facebook?

I am not Oridni - I am my own person and sincerely have never posted here except with my main Deloria.. I am really feckin proud of my background in online RP and gaming and have never hid behind alts.

Checking Oridni's profile I like she writes RP and is into crafting. We need more players like her frankly - and less who think its more fun to run consipracy thoeries about players when they dont like something that player wrote in an online forum o.O.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Wait, Deloria is Oridi? I am confused. I was wondering what happened to her as I haven't see her posts in a while and I enjoyed reading them.

Wait, Deloria is Oridi? I am confused. I was wondering what happened to her as I haven't see her posts in a while and I enjoyed reading them.

No. Not an alt. This is what happens when you typer something on a forum that ppl dont like :|

www.CrowfallRP.com

This whole conversation is fruitless.

Just let's call both of them Deloridi in the future. I like the thought. And thats that thing settled. ;)

As for the OP's topic, i think i experienced only three major aspects to keep alpha communities alive. Keep them busy. Share with them. And maintain their trust in you.

You do all three -> a lot of work, but a prospering community. You loose one -> You may cause additional problems. You loose two -> You are on your own. You loose three -> better look for a different job.

May sound easy, but it isn't. The consequences will depend very much on the audience you are aiming at. Second to none this is a PvP game. So you have to look for people who love personal contests. But this will make your forum a battlefield. So you have to put the breaks on or other interested customers might be pushed back by the (felt) toxicity. And then again you can't do that in a way that will push back all "contenders" or the whole community (and so the game) will just be boring.

Regarding this, i don't envy Pann. But i would trust her to construct all of this anonymod stuff just to give some people a bogeyman, sawing them off then (as a constructed compromise) and having a better enviroment in the end. Yes, i really do. But hey, what do i know? Nothing. Just saying.

Point is: The forum is much more welcoming than a year ago. It is more boring, too. But not too boring i guess. There is still hope. ;)

However, i think that the truth lies within the middle. And this is not to say that everybody has to be within this middle. Not at all. I mean that both parts are a substantial part of the whole thing. And the conflicts that thrive because of these differences are just as substantial for the game. It doesn't really matter if people understand that. As long as they go on with it. :)

Generally speaking, people who like competition like to be better and like to gain (whatever) and like to get fast results. At least more than those people who don't like personal competitions. Thats one of the problems for fan sites when a game like this still is in development. Development will always be too slow - because the EF-FING-GAME-STILL-DON'T-EX-IST. So "contenders" will get bored soon. And who will stay? The boring people. But what will they achieve? Not much. Because they are boring. There are no goals they will want to push forward fast. They walk slowly. But at least they walk on and will achieve some goals. But too often they forget that there are people laying in the shadows, just waiting for the moment when, again, it will be gainful for them to take action. Beware of the aligators. xD

I am confident that Crowfall will be an extraordinarily interesting game. If only because of this interesting differences within the player base. And i'm also confident that it doesn't really matter if there are stable fan sites out there at this very moment. Those who (still) exist are (dare me) mostly bound to be "fluffy-bunny" sites. Thats ok. They will achieve some kind of a stable community that will help them to survive/presever longer later once the game is released. Those players/groups who thrive for contest won't care anyway. When the time has come, they will be there. And they won't have forgotten.

Some people may not like the one or the other side. But i say: this is the magic of crowfall. The magic between chaos and order and balance. And we are part of it, no matter what we do or seem to do. So go for it. xD

tl;dr

Nothing of this matters in the end.  But hey, nice to talk about it. Go on. xD

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Deloria is not oridi, they have completely different perspectives on actual in-game play.  Deloria has shown an understanding of what it takes to succeed in games that only comes with actual success in games. 

They both may enjoy RP, but I'd wager deloria is a bit more competitive in nature. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think you guys are applauding the "victory over trolls" a little too much and attributing victory where there isn't.

First of all, the single greatest loss off unconstructive posters actually came from the paywall being implemented. And those were people creating real threads that were click bait with actual suggestions and discussions we still see posted today. The difference is knowing where they came from. Back then, we knew that most of them came from goons.

Next, let's discuss moderation. Which is hilarious in itself because if we weren't in the "Great Hall", I would get warned for even talking about it. The forum rules actually had to be re-written from a few paragraphs to a few pages because ACE actually didn't want to see us all banned. Other than spam bots, only a handful of people are actually banned. I digress. Moderation here is passive. Someone posts something against the Rules of Conduct or something that gets you triggered. You click the report button. Back then, a bunch of moderators discussed whether or not it was against the Rules of Conduct. Pann had the final say and if you made Gordon mad, he had the final say.

This sounds effective, but the moderators were all players. And with players come vendettas. There have been warning points issued because of a vendetta and nothing else. I won't go into specific examples lest my entire post get removed. In the end, it was player leaks from player moderators proving misconduct that led to the eradication of player moderators.

So, this is taking out the trash right? Not exactly. With some of these leaks, we saw the players that were reporting other players constantly. For all the "towel popping" ACE wants to squash because other players don't want to see it, there were a lot of players reporting players simply because they didn't like what they had to say. Moderation at that point in time wasn't fair and it wasn't consistent. In all actuality, the players who thought they were being anti-troll actually became the troll themselves. They actually became more annoying to the moderation team than the people they were supposed to be there to moderate.

Now, back to the timeline. After the leaks and firing of player moderators, Pann and a group of unknowns took over moderation. But by this point, community interest had plummeted. There were days when Pann had the top number of posts with 4, making up 15% of the posts. Courant will tell ya when he comes back. Because Pang and other players like to pretend this never happened. But that's exactly what happened. This was the down time between Hunger Domes and the hype train was at a crawl.

During this time, there wasn't much of a use for moderators. When the interest died down, it was basically just me to report. I can show you a screenshot of my warning points, it was a quiet period then, too. In reality, there isn't enough moderation to be done currently because Pann can handle all of the reports by herself. Is it because "omgz the trolls are gone, we won because we crushed them with sunshine and good vibes!"? No. It's because when the herd thins, the predators thin as well. The same people who always argued with me are silent as well.

Am I saying the community is dead? Nah. But I don't think you can attribute the lack of unconstructive posters solely to ACE's good moderation.

Nope never did anything of the sort. Only thing I've said and have been consistent with is that rising and falling activity level is a part of the natural ebb and flow of a pre-launch MMO community. Not some harbinger of doom and grand conspiracy to infringe upon our rights like you like to wave the banner of and constantly remind us of.

Bottom like ACE wanted these forums to be about making the game and hearing from actual backers, not for "stuff" posting, political guild drama, personal attacks and harassment campaigns against certain posters and guilds.

Edited by pang

Too right, ACE had no intentions for this game to result in campaigns against players and guilds.

:rolleyes: yes I was clearly talking about in game mechanics and design not internet forum bullying and harassment. ACE has made a clear distinction between the purpose of the forums right now and expectations of behavior in the actual game.

Edited by pang

I have 31 warning points and am still not banned. Sounds like horrible moderation to me.

#freeprimal

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I find the people who create most of the hype surrounding games are usually the ones that drift from game to game. I stick with a game for 2 or 3 years usually while casually playing other things, just not as often. Obviously it would be a blanket statement to say that all podcasts and fanclubs/sites are just hype train passengers, but I think a lot of them tend to be. I've been following Crowfall for a long time and eventually decided to back it as more information that peaked my interest came out, rather than becoming ridiculously hyped Day 1 and having my excitement fizzle over time.

I find the people who create most of the hype surrounding games are usually the ones that drift from game to game. I stick with a game for 2 or 3 years usually while casually playing other things, just not as often. Obviously it would be a blanket statement to say that all podcasts and fanclubs/sites are just hype train passengers, but I think a lot of them tend to be. I've been following Crowfall for a long time and eventually decided to back it as more information that peaked my interest came out, rather than becoming ridiculously hyped Day 1 and having my excitement fizzle over time.

So you would say you're more into hype-edging?

I realize now there was a lot of drama going on before I posted in here, I honestly didn't read the previous posts so I just posted based on the OP's thread. Unfamiliar with all the dramabits you guys are talking about and I think I'm gonna keep it that way. Peace be with you guys, cheers.

I lead a podcast for CamelotUnchained which did 20 episodes and they continued on after I lost interest in the game. Its not technically hard. Its just finding a good group that gel really well, who can make every episode, and dont lose interest before launch. CF will be much easier since they do weekly updates and its going to launch in the next year :)

Haha oh snap! I'm subbed to you on YT Ziz, didn't realize you were getting into CF! Cool stuff man glad to see content creators coming to the community.