Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scree

Small Concerns About The Larger Community

As part of my job both currently and previous contracts I have had to wrestle with the same issues.  How do you grow a community, maintain momentum and keep people coming back.

The first part is the easy bit really. Establishing a community and growing it can be done through many different avenues, forums such as this, Blogs, Social Media Campaigns, live streams of dev games etc.  All of these things get the game out there regardless of its current state.

The previous game I worked on, my task was to build the community from scratch. It was a simple level runner on steam but we quickly built a following and generate interest, im not saying we got everything right as it was the companies first real attempt at social media and community management.  With a strong team and good guidance we did acheive our goals even if the game was cancled by the company.

So regarding content:  Do you have a game that is playable, even if it is in a basic state?  If the answer is yes then there are plenty of things that can be done to generate both content and interest. 

Daily screenshots from the game on social media.

Daily interaction with community on social media IE someone there to answer any questions (preferably within a very short time of being posted)

Daily Content, such as "here is our latest artwork/image/char etc" what do you thing.  Ask leading questions that will illicit a response.

Weekly Twitch/youtube live sessions by the devs explaining a small aspect of the game or something they have just completed.

Weekly Blog post from the team introducing themselves, their interest, what they do on the game etc

Weekly update on progress

The key is to keep posting content on facebook (daily) and twitter (atleast twice daily using good hashtags to gain a following) but you should not repeat content...

In the forums it should be easy to maintain content with ask the community type posts, updates on patchs and changes, interaction with players and above all a robust feeback loop. (IE players raise a question, issue or feedback and someone from the dev/game team either responds in person or themods/CM posts on their behalf)  All communitys need good communication with the game team as it makes them feel valued and justifys their time/commitment to the game.

When it comes to maintaining a community communication is key.  Keep posting updates, request for feedback and importantly respond.  You need a commited community manager and forum team to maintain the forum and keep discussions such as this going. 

Edited by Mhudson324

my thought is the game just isn't pushing out enough content for the fansites to have material to necessitate them.

I have the opposite opinion. I think they put out to much meaningless fluff

2-3 updates a week and they've all been a let down for months. With the exception of one or two. If they had one awesome update every other week or per month, websites can write an article around that, utubers have something meaningful to discuss.

A 1hr stream showing half a kneeling animation that may not even make it in game isn't something that will make waves in the gaming community.

Also, most people see how terrible combat is and write it off as vaporware. Hard to build excitement when people laugh at it.

MOkvLlm.png

Also, most people see how terrible combat is and write it off as vaporware. Hard to build excitement when people laugh at it.

Eh, its always good to see design up close, even if it is just fluff.

And to those people who write off the game, I just say "See you in Beta"

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Reminder: The purpose of the Great Hall is to discuss general policy. The guidelines for this forum state: [You] may not discuss specific cases. Moderation and disciplinary actions related to specific individuals will only be discussed with the individual(s) directly involved via email at support@artcraftent.com. 

I've cleaned out some OT posts here that break that rule and some others that were in response to those posts. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

All I noticed was posters discussing off-site community management, albeit still the same management team here as over there considering Twitch allows you to control your own Twitch feed as it should. If the purpose is to discuss general policy including the policy of off-site community management, why shut down discussion?

In my opinion, discussing specific cases leads to an overall discussion. If one person wants to continually rant by banging their head against a wall, sure. Shut em down. But it's just an odd feeling when posts are deleted and discussion is shut down.

I guess the transparency is only on the dev side.

I was thinking of posting every thread in the Great Hall that started discussion on General policy, but considering there's so many examples I'm not going to make a post full of links. There are several threads discussing policy, many of which are locked yet still available to be read. I'm just a fan of transparency I guess.

I'll stick with Crowfall videos for that.