Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: Gaea's Wail - Official discussion thread

How long does it take to make a video like this? Because you could highlight several powers (4-6) of these videos for EACH upcoming archetype and we'd drink up this sweet sweet awesomeness! Hell it could be a regular feature that everyone looks forward too. Fuel the hype train Ace! :D

Most often, it's a matter of having to wait for the work to be completed to a stage that we can film it. You may have seen me say before that we plan web content out about a month in advance; typically, Todd, Blair, Melissa, JGibson and I will meet during last week of the month to plan for the next month. We put each potential update on a PostIt and spread them out on a big wall calendar according to when we think the content will be ready. As each month approaches, we reassess and rearrange the notes accordingly.

To make a video can take a few days, depending on what (and who) is being filmed, how much post-production is needed and so on. JGibson is unbelievably good at his job, though, and usually pulls that rabbit right out of his hat just about the time I start to break out in a nervous "Are we gonna make it?" sweat.

This is all very different from past projects I've worked on that were already much further along in development before we started showing anything publicly. The need to keep our backers in the loop is a game changer. Preferably, we would wait until everything was firmly set and highly polished before we paraded it around. You should always consider nearly everything you see to still be a work in progress. As Greg said at the end of the video, he's still adjusting the FX.   

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

This is all very different from past projects I've worked on that were already much further along in development before we started showing anything publicly. The need to keep our backers in the loop is a game changer.

It's fascinating to see behind-the-scenes details on how an MMO gets made. Thanks to the ACE team for letting us in on the fun :)

tiPrpwh.png

No, I mean it, that was an amazing video.  Seriously, any game developer not watching your development pipeline for inspiration is missing out.  This is inches away from being a pipeline video tutorial.  I hope the guys at Unity are seeing this stuff.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Oh, also, the bear swipe hit effect needs to be 2x bigger.  So do most of the hit effects.  The damage feedback should be much less subtle.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Oh, also, the bear swipe hit effect needs to be 2x bigger.  So do most of the hit effects.  The damage feedback should be much less subtle.

I disagree. It looks cool but when you have 100 people on screen doing effects... it can get out of control and make it terribly unfun

MOkvLlm.png

Exactly, i couldnt find the right words, too busy and add more smokey effects.

I'd like to thank the devs for all the detailed work they have put into making this an awesome Druid attack with swirling smoke and stuff. However I'm thinking the knight needs a hard counter, if he times it just right, a punch to the chest that stops the charging bear right in it's tracks.

I have to agree with this as well. The spinning FX are abut much. Smoke looks great though

I'd like to thank the devs for all the detailed work they have put into making this an awesome Druid attack with swirling smoke and stuff. However I'm thinking the knight needs a hard counter, if he times it just right, a punch to the chest that stops the charging bear right in it's tracks.

Gaea's Wail is a charged projectile attack, which is afaik bounced back to caster if you use your shield, aka Block. So there you have your hard-counter :D

Gaea's Wail is a charged projectile attack, which is afaik bounced back to caster if you use your shield, aka Block. So there you have your hard-counter :D

Good God man, You're right!

If it will work on a ghost bear, it should work on a tiger, all Doggett needs is a trash can lid.

:D