Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonso

Mounted combat?

Hello, I just joined this forum today.

I have participated in a few kickstarter/early access games and none of them went well.(Thanks god, I didn't buy EQ next. Too bad, didn't even have a chance to be born)

So I feel I have to ask more questions before pledge anything but still I had to show a little bit of support to be able to ask a question.(hmm......)

Anyway, this is my first question.

Is there a mounted combat system in this game or is that going to be in the game?

I read QnA about mounts and unlike many casual mmorpg these days, a mount have own hp and also can be killed as a character. (+1 on this for sure or more if I could.)

So my guess is that mounted combat is also possible but I wouldn't know.

In many mmorpg, mounts are not really mounts. They are just speed buff item with mounting animation and when you dismount it just disappeared as if it wasn't there at all. In fact, the same speed buff can be achieved without mounting animation and nothing else will be affected since there was no mount as a killable character.

It is just disappoting, at least for me.

I was a fan of UO and SWG as many of you guys here in my guess. I hope this is the game with a good consistancy.

Thanks.

Edited by Alfonso

IIRC, mounted combat is at best a stretch goal.

Mounts, in this game, tend to be of the transportation flavor.  Although you critiqued that as fairly unrealistic or an incomplete vision of mounts, in this game we are also expecting mounts to have the ability to be caravan pullers or pack carriers (pack pigs).

If I'm mis-remembering or inaccurate, hopefully others can pick up my slack.

Edit: There has also been discussion of mounts not being part of the "core" release of the game (although I'm not sure if any dev mentioned mounts specifically), but possibly one of those features that get added in a bit later - so maybe when they do combat will come with them.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Well, but atleast the pack animals will have to be killable, I think. Otherwise (stealth-)crashing caravans wouldn't be any fun, right? And, if I remember correctly, they said that you could tame actual animals from the world your on, using them as pets, mounts or pack animals. I don't think the process of taming them makes them immortal as well.....so, consistancy should be there :)

I could imagine that mounted combat isn't implemented, but perhaps they're going to change that sometimes (stretchgoals are not anything, after the game is released, the can do whatever they - or we? - want!). Until then I'd guess that we get some kind of skill which makes us better riders, influencing how well we stay in the saddle, even if we're attacked meanwhile, or something. Hopefully our mounts will stay and don't dissolve into smoke and dreams after throwing us....

Edited by Akineko

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

"1. Two words.. mounted combat! We already know some mounts will be actively fighting, but will we be able to fight on some of them? Stretch goal.. maybe?  :)

Our feature list is already pretty well packed and this feature is one of those that is rough to sell as necessary to anyone. Either you have to give players completely new powers while on the back of a mount or somehow make their existing archetype powers work with a handful of generic animations. Then whichever model you pick it needs to play nice with the rest of your game. In the MMO space, mounted combat tends to rank about as popular as underwater combat.

So the answer is: probably not.  If mounted combat is something you really want, play a centaur! J"   http://sandboxer.org/crowfall-interview-from-mmorpg-it/#.V0KZGfkrLrd

Yah well, never say never....perhaps o_o

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

They haven't confirmed anything, given that their one permanently mounted unit, the Centaur, was hocked off as a sub-healer, I highly doubt it.

Though Centaur was never intended to be a healer, they'd pretty much have to spearhead any cavalry style gameplay there if it was a part of the game.

Personally, I'd wait til they impress you before "donating", because at this point they want your money before they entertain your interests, than decide afterward whether they'll honor the features they already advertised.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Follow up question! Does centaur have a running speed matched to a mount or at least faster than other biped species?

Ultima Online was my first mmorpg and because of that it became a kind of measument or a standard when I look at other games.

Mounted combat is not a must have feature but I still think that if there is a tamable, mountable and killable character in game, fighting on a mount is also natural.

What I don't like is that "dismount/mount unsummoned back into inventory" became a norm in mmorpg, even though mounted combat was common in the history of wars, and many mmorpg worlds have medival concept, some people worry about mounted combat ruining the game balance. In my opinion, that is only due to the most mmorpg being incapable of handling mounted combat.

Edited by Alfonso

Follow up question! Does centaur have a running speed matched to a mount or at least faster than other biped species?

Yes, from the Mounts FAQ "Can my Centaur character ride on a mount? No, centaurs already have a base movement speed increase and there will be some other mechanic that allows them to travel at mount speed."