Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MMORPGItalia interview with J. Todd Coleman - Official discussion thread

"siege warfare happens at prescribed and agreed upon time periods via the Banewood Tree mechanic"
I have missed it before... anything against avoiding sieges? I'm sure there is something, I'm just interested. Will you have to accept 1 per day/week/month/year/decade or some kind of other limitation? :P

"siege warfare happens at prescribed and agreed upon time periods via the Banewood Tree mechanic"

I have missed it before... anything against avoiding sieges? I'm sure there is something, I'm just interested. Will you have to accept 1 per day/week/month/year/decade or some kind of other limitation? :P

That's what diplomacy is for.

That's what diplomacy is for.

No.

If you can siege a keep ONLY when the mechanic allows it, you MUST have some kind of limitation otherwise once someone got a good resource-keep, they'll just dodge every siege to get "free profit".

No.

If you can siege a keep ONLY when the mechanic allows it, you MUST have some kind of limitation otherwise once someone got a good resource-keep, they'll just dodge every siege to get "free profit".

What makes you think you can dodge a siege at all?

When someone sieges you, you will have a say in when that siege activates. You won't have the option of not "accepting" the siege.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

What makes you think you can dodge a siege at all?

When someone sieges you, you will have a say in when that siege activates. You won't have the option of not "accepting" the siege.

So you can say that it will activate 3.00 a.m. or other "not-so-good" time so the other side will not accept it, dodging any serious siege.

So you can say that it will activate 3.00 a.m. or other "not-so-good" time so the other side will not accept it, dodging any serious siege.

3:00 am somewhere is 5 pm somewhere else ;)

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Good luck with that.

Yea, scheduling defensive banes at times that you think will be inconvenient for the attacker will probably happen, but I doubt it will work in the long term. 

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

If the mechanic is anything like it was in SB, then it is a multi-tiered operation.  Below is a description of the later types of sieges.  Early sieges could last for days.

The attackers had to acquire a bane stone (my memory is fuzzy, were these bought or crafted?), and then they placed the bane stone.  After the bane stone was placed, the defenders had so many hours/days to respond (I believe it was 24-36 hours).  The response of the defenders was based on not only what time they wanted to be attacked, but it had to be within the window of time the attackers also chose.  If the defenders did not choose a time, then it defaulted to what the attackers chose.

There was no escaping being baned, except for spending gold and acquiring a bane stone and baning yourself.

If anyone has anything else to add please do, as it's been a few years since I participated or initiated a bane.

lUvvzPy.png

Who says an EU gulid is sieging you?

Who would play on an EU-server? Those who have less ping there than on other servers, that's more-or-less EU-timezone only. And if you're playing there even with worse ping, is it really fun to play when everyone else is sleeping?

Ofc you can get nightcrew, and they will probably fight each other, but you can't count on it as a solution against dodging sieges.

• Do you think to contain the "night capping" or major "blob", to focus more on guilds, factions or friends management?

JTC: These are more player behaviors that arise from systems that allow capturing structures at any time of day and allow limitless amounts of people to show up for a fight. In Crowfall, siege warfare happens at prescribed and agreed upon time periods via the Banewood Tree mechanic, so there shouldn't be a surprise of logging in to find your base has been taken over in the middle of the night. As to how many people can show up for a fight, our physics based gameplay tends to discourage giant blobs of players.

Physics based gameplay will be most effective to discourage "blobs" if the map has lots of nooks and crannies, choke points, diverse terrain, etc. Large rocks with narrow paths cutting through them to navigate in and around, heavily wooded areas, narrow archways, ruins where smaller teams can take cover and use the terrain to their advantage against bigger groups. I hope the procedurally generated maps will be able to include all that. SP terrain feels a bit too flat outside of the keep, which lowers the opportunities for interesting terrain based tactics. That worries me a bit, but we'll see how the future maps develop. 

I like the idea of agreed upon times for keep/city sieges. I've played other games that used that and it works fine against night capping. I just hope the objective(s) for winning won't be so straight forward to the point that whoever pours more numbers into it will win most of the time. Their idea of the bloodstone campaign sounded very exciting because of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolWGu7xFlw

Basically you could either keep your entire guild/alliance inside the city to defend against the siege, but then you'd win no victory points. Or you could risk taking the bloodstone to the embargo location to win the victory points, but then you're faced with another set of tough choices: either take the whole guild to ensure the safety of the bloodstone's delivery but leave the city undefended, or risk splitting your forces in two. 

I hope game objectives will work like that for the most part. Force people to make those tough choices, give smaller alliances a chance against the behemoth alliances if they play their cards right and excel in the strategy game, and then just lean back and watch the politics, drama and gameplay emerge from that. 

Also I hope smaller POIs like mines and such will be open for conflict over them 24/7 and not just a couple hours each day like in SB. Another way for a smaller forces that cannot hope to win big sieges against massive alliances to earn victory points could be these smaller scale fights in POIs or whatnot. 

Just because the dates and times of sieges are set before hand doesn't necessarily mean can pick any time we want. I think its safe to assume that the times we can pick will have limitations for the sake of fairness.

• What point is the work on Eternal Kingdoms at? When will be playable?
JTC: We are still working on the underlying systems that make world building possible, both for the Eternal Kingdoms and the Campaign Worlds. EKs are more challenging, because the tools that are "player-facing" need to be more polished and robust than the tools that we use internally.

I understand the value of a user friendly interface and that is the ultimate goal. However, in the mean time as tools are being made for it can we gain access to whatever building tools you (the devs) have to start getting used to the structure and layout of EKs? This of course being only AFTER you have those same tools available to you lol

I know for myself personally the earlier I can get into and play with the EK structure/layout/size/scope/etc the better. This is being asked with the understanding that it will still be a while before CW/EK building tools even come online. When the time does come though I'm sure there are more than a couple of us that'd love to dive in and help with this development process to whatever degree we can.

Even in games with secret siege timers, people figure it out. A good example is Star Wars Galaxies, faction bases had secret timers and people would pay informants or infiltrate enemy guilds in order to gain their timers so they could kill him. Also, keep in mind that any time you schedule a siege, you have to provide defense at that time or else 1 guy with a catapult will just solo your based while you're sleeping.

I'm a little sad that political hierarchies are primarily planned for EKs.  I feel like there's a huge opportunity being missed to integrate feudal politics into campaigns.

I am hoping that we also see a bit more integration between EKs and campaigns.  What I like is we have the tech, and hopefully it's just a tweak here and a tweak there to have good interdependence between EK and CW.