Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Founders' Update: Shifting gears - Official discussion thread

I'm happy to test on whatever schedule works best for getting the game done. 

The idea of 8 weeks without any test makes me sad though, that will feel like we don't get to see what is being worked on and what progess is being made. I've enjoyed testing out all the incremental improvements in the game itself (some of the communication updates are more PR type intangibles than details on development progress).

tiPrpwh.png

IThe idea of 8 weeks without any test makes me sad though, that will feel like we don't get to see what is being worked on and what progess is being made.

Maybe they'll dust off that Crowfall twitch channel a few times a month to keep us up to date?  Show us new developments? Have a bit of a chat?

Maybe they'll dust off that Crowfall twitch channel a few times a month to keep us up to date?  Show us new developments? Have a bit of a chat?

I think letting developers spend their time actually you know, developing things, is probably a better idea.

I think letting developers spend their time actually you know, developing things, is probably a better idea.

Developers wouldn't be the ones putting on and running the streams though. Pann and the community team would. It could be basically a live and longer version of the Monthly Q&A's they do now.

Eight weeks between tests is a worst case scenario. There's a good chance that there will be spot tests sprinkled around here and there. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Developers wouldn't be the ones putting on and running the streams though. Pann and the community team would. It could be basically a live and longer version of the Monthly Q&A's they do now.

Alternatively, put some of those new interns to work.

I like your idea, they could use it to stream while they are testing mid-build too.  Could be a nice way to connect with people without duplicating too much work.  Although I enjoyed the production of the druid bear power, it doesn't always have to be a nicely edited video, if they have something nice to test/show and just want to stream it (maybe crafting interface stuff, etc.).

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Does this mean your target for the soft launch is by the end of the year or early next year? The purpose of the soft launch was to get all essential systems in place and then let us start playing the game persistently without wipes from what I recall in the last update. Based on this information above one could deduce that the soft launch target date is currently end of 2016 / early 2017.

Can I get a wink or a nod? 

I think it's a good plan. Testing the same stuff over and over was getting stale if I'm being honest. 

This is also scary at the same time.

End of 2016 is 7 months away and weve been testing for at least that long and still cant manage 100 people in an area without crippling the game.

I don't see how they can launch at the end of 2016 when we still cant get reasonable frames right now with anything over about 50-60 people.

Not trying to be a downer but ACE is a small team and if there was a magic fix for latency issues we would have seen it I would think as its as important as fun combat is for this game to be playable and fun.

Rage Quit

Sad to see there will be less tests, but I am excited that you are taking that time to really work hard on the game.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

I'm not going to rehash my complaints from the original delay announcement. Needless to say the focus does NOT seem on combat. It seems its "piecing together" the components remaining to make Crowfall a minimally viable product. 

So in essence, the game was delayed to make combat better, but the focus is still not on combat; "The show must go on".

This concerns me. The frequency of tests was a conclusion I came to at first glance. Fewer more focused tests would enable the developers to highlight the significant changes between builds. The current system ... it sort of glosses over those changes because the notes are buried in a subforum somewhere where only the hyperactive testing base bothers to go and read. The downside to this, combined with the above information is that we no longer have a consistent picture of where combat is.

This effectively leaves us in a place of our own crafting; Combat was the supposed focus a week ago, but now we will have fewer and farther apart opportunities to see this progress (if any is made on Combat).

Its a real socksyword to be a developer here, because I can totally see the damned if you do, damned if you don't razor thin blade you are treading upon. I'm more bothered by the language referencing that work is continuing on the game as a whole (Combat is just a component of said "whole" and not really a focus as per last weeks news).

P.S: Using language like "we’re shifting into to high gear" is also a questionable choice. What gear were you guys in before this exactly? Neutral?

P.S.S: I am sorry that I seem to be the only one nitpicking everything you guys do or say, but I am playing the devils advocate for the community that can't be bothered to post anymore. Lots of yes-men and white-knights trolloping around these parts. 

Edited by scree

I'm not going to rehash my complaints from the original delay announcement. Needless to say the focus does NOT seem on combat. It seems its "piecing together" the components remaining to make Crowfall a minimally viable product. 

So in essence, the game was delayed to make combat better, but the focus is still not on combat; "The show must go on".

They delayed Siege Perilous from mid-February to April to focus on the combat and we've been testing primarily the combat system for almost 9 months now. I wonder how you can conclude that the focus does not seem on combat.

They delayed Siege Perilous from mid-February to April to focus on the combat and we've been testing primarily the combat system for almost 9 months now. I wonder how you can conclude that the focus does not seem on combat.

Shh careful with those facts might get accused of being a White Knight :rolleyes:

But yeah with how transparent and open ACE has been one has to be trying on purpose to be that clueless as to their intentions. 

Edited by pang

I think some people simply do not like the direction combat is going and therefore they won't see progress being made.  I am not saying Scree is saying this, but I have the distinct impression some desire a very different system, and the realization has not fully set in that they are not going to get it.  So, anyone that is satisfied with the direction combat is taking (NOT that it has reached its destination) is perhaps classified as a "yes-man and white knight."  I feel for those dissatisfied backers and can empathize because I was/am unhappy about the Crows and Vessels system.  However, there is still so much more here to enjoy that I remain optimistic, test whenever I can and offer feedback and criticisms (usually constructive, I think).   

I hope ACE takes all the time they need to make a great MMORPG. 

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

I expected a year until release just pledged, MMOs customers are brutal the game can't be released to soon in buggy/poor condition.   That nearly sunk ESO, its a solid games now but they will never have they numbers they could of if the released game was not in such a bad state.  Hard to come back from bad early impressions like that.  Wahammer was another case of almost but not ready for release if they waited a few months that game would of had a longer life.

Anyway chill folks there are plenty of games to kill time with.

Edited by Xomox