Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Usefulness of Tiered Resources

So, we all know there are 8 planned tiers of resources. We can only assume that this tier system will be re-used on more than just ores. Different levels of wood, stone or even body parts might make its way into the game. Currently, each of these resource tiers have a rarity that's based on which campaign difficulty you use. Where in Gods Reach a tier 4 resource might be rare, in the Dregs it will be common.

The question is, with each ore having their own specific statistic, will we see upgraded version of lower tier ores or will each type of ore only show up in 1 tier. In other words, will each tier always be better than the last tier or will it just be different statistics altogether?

This question is important for crafters because of risk management and efficiency. If the armor and weapons your guild prefers to wear is only in tier 2, does it do you any good to go to the harder difficulty campaign worlds? If the gear that sells the best in your EK uses tier 4 materials, would the risk of going to a harder difficulty and possibly leaving with nothing be worth it? Keep in mind that you may be stuck in a campaign for months.

As a crafter, will you be playing only in the Dregs? Do you think the possibility of getting tier 7-8 resources is worth the risk of maybe getting nothing at all?

Weigh in on the resource system and your preference in difficulty below.

1. The plan is for each metal (resource variety) or alloy to have its own attribute/statistic buff. Higher-tiered pure metal quality will raise the size of that

buff. The better pure metals you put into your alloys, the better quality alloys you will make from them.

So yes, inner bands will always be attractive. 

2. The campaign rules shown in the illustration were an example. The quality differences between bands are reasonable and likely to be correct.

The campaign spoils rules are negotiable between campaign worlds (CW), but should tend to be a bit riskier as you go toward the dregs.

I believe it's reasonable to expect seeing a dregs campaign with 80% for winners, 20% for losers, 50% for kneelers.

In fact, some high $ backers will be allowed to tailor a set of rules for one campaign. If it's a popular set, it should be back.

3. Kneeling should be a permanent decision in a campaign, but that's another point for discussion.

4. If you join a guild with a reasonable chance of winning a campaign, the risk of maybe getting zero% from a loss is offset by playing many campaigns.

This means you would be just as successful in the long run after a string of CW, whether you are playing 100/0/(n/a), 80/20/50, or 60/40/50 spoils,

assuming equal competition in each band. Since each band becomes more attractive as you approach the dregs, and guilds are likely to find that

they win more when they concentrate on 1 CW at a time, every guild will find that they will have certain bands and rulesets they prefer. And the

bigger CF gets, the more CW variety we will see.

Edited by BurgundytheRed

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

... will each tier always be better than the last tier or will it just be different statistics altogether?

I expect to see both, but "better" is a pretty tricky idea, given what we know about alloys.  Using the old alloy chart, t5 gold (1.0 str) would certainly be 5x better than t1 copper (0.2 str) from an attribute standpoint, but the statistics granted by gold alloys may not be ideal to you, based on your archetype build and role.  Obviously, there's no way to know for sure with how little information we have (and what we *do* have is a year or two old).

I wouldn't expect to see a one-to-one replacement, where mithril replaces iron in every way, in every alloy, except it gives more strength.  ACE could certainly do that, but it seems like a boring choice.  Everything I've read so far indicates ACE wants to keep even the lowest tier resources useful in some way, and the alloy system is definitely the way they'll accomplish that.  I would prefer to see more complex or effective alloys as opposed to a simple one-to-one tier upgrade.  We could even see tier 7 or 8 ores that have no function on their own, but greatly enhance the effectiveness of lower tier alloys.

I predict (and I hope) that when the system is revealed in its entirety, we'll have a ridiculous number of combinations when you factor in resources and alloys, additives, thralls, and across all pieces of gear.  We'll have to keep guessing until Blair decides to spill the beans. ;)

In other words, will each tier always be better than the last tier or will it just be different statistics altogether?

I don't think so. They already said that they want all resources to be valued across the board. They have an alloy system which I think they will make use of in the "more variety" ethos they seem to have going. Let's say at tier 2 You can make your basic carbon steel. With the alloys available at tier 6, you can make Damascus steel or heat resistant steel. That way you still need old tier 1 iron to mix with the new high tier metals. I think (hope) that they will give us more options and variety rather that the tired, old "tier X is better than tier Y" way of doing things.

From what I remember higher tiers equal higher quality. Thus the highest quality Uber Sword of Awesomeness would require the highest tiered resources.

This wouldn't make lower tiered resources obsolete though. That's because the Uber Sword of Awesomeness is a "big ticket item" for sure but the economy will be needing basic everyday consumables made from lower tiered resources.

So both will be valuable in different ways.

EvE ships used tritanium up the wazoo; trit is the most commone resource in the game.  The higher level ships, the titans, still used a lot of trit, but they also needed special high tier resources.

So we could see a base of 10 iron and 1 special component of whatever alloy to give the stats.  Thus the rarest most awesome sword would still need tier 1 components to make, but the stats come from the higher tiered resources.  Pure speculation, but it's a way they could do it, so the rarer mats are coveted, while making the common mats still viable from a market prospective.

Edited by Mazon