Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

City And World Building -- The Other Part Of The Pvp Scenario

There's been a lot of talk and speculation about PvP, but in a game of territorial conquest, I'd like to hear some details about world building. The devs have implied that players will change the landscape, but that's about all we've gotten.

Shadowbane's city building was impressive in 2003 --- it was a lot of fun to visit player cities. This didn't last because player's studied city building and came up with the most defensible templates within a fairly limited tool and asset set. Furthermore, I don't think the cities ever felt very alive.

I'd like to see:

1. Cities self-populate with NPCs and merchants based on size and region

2. Traveling merchants who visit cities with limited player influence on this. They could sell cosmetic changes.

3. A varied toolset to build assets with a regional art style.

4. Truly impressive monuments that can grow and change. I'm thinking the imperial tower in the capitol in Elder Scrolls Oblivion --- when you saw that thing in the horizon in Oblivion, that was impressive.

5. Far fetched --- but perhaps the ability of players to produce this content through a builder's app. This presents it's own host of issues, but it would be great. If it can't be, I'd like to at least hope for a vast set of monuments and styles ready for the players, and...

6. Certain monuments and buildings are limited in their use per world. As in only 1 city can have a certain monument --- once someone has built it, it's no longer in the toolset for other cities or players.

7. Outposts and sub-city groups that organically sprout around larger player cities. These can be player made, ie subguilds, or triggered NPC reactions once a city reaches a certain set of traits: like a parked caravan of gypsies, or a small fishing village.

Thoughts on world building?

Edited by fuggeroffuggington

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

Fugger of Fuggington - Shadowbane

SkippyBojangle - PS4

Pretty sure this weeks updates are going to be huge on this part of the game ... few more days we should know more!

And I agree on the part cities felt dead and barren for the most part in SB. It never really felt a live and active.

Edited by sarin

Outposts were really something I'd like to have seen be more effective in SB. For example, there were several buildings that would have made outstanding archer platforms, or great mounts for a single siege engine, were you to be able to build a few items beyond the basic city grid. I'd love to see some small outpost/fortress functionality allowed to be built near your town.

CF_Van.png

In general, I'd like cities to really become famous in their own right. It's a huge deal when one of those massive battleships is destroyed in EVE. Id like  certain cities to be such a defining part of each server that it makes it to Kotaku or destructoid when one is actually burnt down. On that same note, a city could reach such beloved status that random people show up to defend it.

We all know there's going to be an epic Khar and/or Sea Dog's Rest on each server.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

SkippyBojangle - PS4

All I can think of now is Carthage and it's fate.  Or the Library of Alexandria.  Imagine if you will cities where multiple guilds/factions can live, even with the strife within them.  Imagine a duke ruling over a city and the 'people' rising up against his or her iron fist and despotic rule.  There are so many ways to PvP that guild vs guild just seems like the starting point.

Also, just +1 in general to all of the OP, because if city building really is a thing, good god I'd love to be a part of that process.  I really do think cities that house more than one guild could be intriguing, especially if the fealty system allows for more formalized mechanics such as city sharing where you can pool your resources and share in the protection of walled defense or the use of foundries for blacksmithing, (and every other crafting specialty).

And what might a cold war look like between guilds that, on the surface, want to keep the benefits of the city they share, but otherwise plot against each other?

.And what might a cold war look like between guilds that, on the surface, want to keep the benefits of the city they share, but otherwise plot against each other?

looks like tuesday to an SBer...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

In general, I'd like cities to really become famous in their own right. It's a huge deal when one of those massive battleships is destroyed in EVE. Id like  certain cities to be such a defining part of each server that it makes it to Kotaku or destructoid when one is actually burnt down. On that same note, a city could reach such beloved status that random people show up to defend it.

We all know there's going to be an epic Khar and/or Sea Dog's Rest on each server.

Great idea.

I also like the idea of varied NPC hirelings that take up a guard slot but earn a modest income in resources for the city. A farmer, mill-operator, whatever. They would always be vulnerable to attack and looting to drive conflict. It would also offer varied city building if you had to choose between a guard slot and a hireling. Caravans could operate similarly. Your adversary sets their caravan route. You attack their caravan, if you can find it. They come defend. Like a moving mine.

At some point you guys turned me into a PvP enthusiast.  I think it's because I saw a system proposed that I finally started to understand that I'm burdened with a lot of useless information about how MMOs are designed, and I'm just now beginning to see the possibilities when you do things like take away the all-important bullcrap like tiered gear.

Edited by seventhbeacon

Ya, it was a thing in release -year SB. You had thriving trainer/merchant cities where multiple guilds would frequent -- and there was always just so much tension in the air, that the slightest prick to the atmosphere would erupt into full chaos. You had all these players running around, not attacking each other out of fear of being bannished from such a vital city -- but if one person broke the ice, chaos ensued, and there would be forum debate and bannishments to follow, or being put on the KOS list before it became standards to have everyone-but-your-own-nation-is-KOS

Commerce on Chaos Server. I remember training my confessor there, and Andhean Dicrosi of Malice came up and EQd me, and I was just flabbergasted that someone had killed me in the center of Commerce. Clearly, I had to join Malice.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

SkippyBojangle - PS4

A burly and weathered SDR where all shadowbane guilds are welcome, and all else are KOS, would be a sketchy, but awesome place. I imagine a lot of random player killings would happen here.

"I never would have thought of that."

"Clearly you've never been to Singapore."

"I never would have thought of that."

"Clearly you've never been to Singapore."

When I think about a shadowbane city, I think about the token/cliche thieve's guild city in every RPG ever, or the secret entrance off the brick wall in Freeport in Everquest leading into the slums, where evil characters could "safely" enter freeport.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

SkippyBojangle - PS4

When I think about a shadowbane city, I think about the token/cliche thieve's guild city in every RPG ever, or the secret entrance off the brick wall in Freeport in Everquest leading into the slums, where evil characters could "safely" enter freeport.

as long as i get a statue of a huge Pink unicorn, prancing up on his hind legs with a plaque saying "for Blasphemous...the Ultimate Pansy"

we'll call it the Mourning Stone...

FIQw0eP.png

as long as i get a statue of a huge Pink unicorn, prancing up on his hind legs with a plaque saying "for Blasphemous...the Ultimate Pansy"

You're only half kidding. Monuments with plaques that elicit text would be epic. I doubt you'd get pink, but you know a horse, maybe a unicorn, monument would be in there...

I'd like one of a crap ton of people climbing all over each other, like in some kind of struggle, with the text: "CN: Never Forget"

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

SkippyBojangle - PS4

kidding?

nope...i was super cereal...

the Pink deserve a monument as much as the Peerats do/did...

FIQw0eP.png

Ya, it was a thing in release -year SB. You had thriving trainer/merchant cities where multiple guilds would frequent -- and there was always just so much tension in the air, that the slightest prick to the atmosphere would erupt into full chaos. You had all these players running around, not attacking each other out of fear of being bannished from such a vital city -- but if one person broke the ice, chaos ensued, and there would be forum debate and bannishments to follow, or being put on the KOS list before it became standards to have everyone-but-your-own-nation-is-KOS

Commerce on Chaos Server. I remember training my confessor there, and Andhean Dicrosi of Malice came up and EQd me, and I was just flabbergasted that someone had killed me in the center of Commerce. Clearly, I had to join Malice.

It's amazing how much you can miss in just 4 months of a servers life in early SB. I didn't start playing SB until Aug 3rd 2003 on the Chaos server and the game only came out in April of that year but yeah the atmosphere on it was way more tense than lets say Wrath server or even Entropy.

Edited by gauis

do you rub the ...horn...for luck?

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

kidding?

nope...i was super cereal...

the Pink deserve a monument as much as the Peerats do/did...

they both are our bastard children...the undead deserve 2 monuments

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg