Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Redesigning Power Tray Icons - Official discussion thread

As usual I need to play it myself to see how distracting it is. In the past I never felt like skills need to conform to a universal language, maybe they did maybe they don't I never noticed that.

What I remember the most is that each is unique, so I instantly see which skill is on cooldown. I don't need to know where which skill is, this is normaly memorized anyway. With the very streamlined approach I fear that skill look too smiliar and I can't immedietly see which is on cooldown.

TL;DR Neat Idea need to test it

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I think this is really important given we will likely be switching between archetypes and promotions/disciplines pretty often, and I'm glad to see the thought put into it.  Seems much more readable than before.  

Seems like the old ranger style icons might be a good fit on the training screen, though, where you can look for longer at larger icons.

Transform!?!? What's that? :lol:

I must say, this is a HUGE improvement... well done Billy.

My bet is on Templar and maybe the Minotaur, because bull.

I like the consistent icon approach.

I remember being impressed when I first noticed that buff status arrows have arrows up and debuff status effects have arrows down

for example: Z93LYra.png

Transform!?!? What's that? :lol:

I must say, this is a HUGE improvement... well done Billy.

My bet is on Templar and maybe the Minotaur, because bull.

they've already confirmed the names of Werewolf and Werebear as Discpline runestones (and perhaps Vampire will have transform too..)

e.g.

Werewolf

“For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack”
  • Grants limited time Transformation Power - grants Werewolf combat powers while in Werewolf form
  • Grants advantage: Bloodfeud (bonus damage versus Vampyre)
  • Grants advantage: Wolfspeed (increases movement speed)
  • Grants advantage: Heightened Senses (anti-stealth)
Edited by Tinnis

side note:

does any one else think the "version 2" of archetype power tooltip screens is a mess and horrible in comparsion of "version 1"?

(I know it was done so we can reslot and pick powers in the future....but still....)

I think going back to "version 1" style would an improvement e.g. like we see in the video

"version 1 redo":

UkGGw01.png

"version 2/now":

XP5nfSn.png

Edited by Tinnis

Love the new icons. Very intuitive. Thinking from the perspective of someone who joins all of us at launch and never touched an alpha or beta, it should allow them to gain a better understanding of the character quickly.

@Tinnis

My understanding is that version 2 exists in order to later allow us to move our skills around. I am not particularly fond of it. Perhaps we could find something in the middle. The less something takes over my screen, the better.

Edited by Rasabox

I like the consistent icon approach.

I remember being impressed when I first noticed that buff status arrows have arrows up and debuff status effects have arrows down

for example: Z93LYra.png

they've already confirmed the names of Werewolf and Werebear as Discpline runestones (and perhaps Vampire will have transform too..)

e.g.

Werewolf

“For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack”
  • Grants limited time Transformation Power - grants Werewolf combat powers while in Werewolf form
  • Grants advantage: Bloodfeud (bonus damage versus Vampyre)
  • Grants advantage: Wolfspeed (increases movement speed)
  • Grants advantage: Heightened Senses (anti-stealth)

Tad off topic, but SB had Werebear, Werewolf and Wererat (which we have seen as well) with transformations.  The bear transform gave extra hp regen, the wolf had extra stam regen (good dual sword wielding ranger) and the rat gave increased atr speed I believe; these were just a few of the benefits I remember.  A lot of these concepts are not new to this game and for that I'm actually thankful.  I don't need a "new" concept in this game, just bring in all of the great ideas from 20 years past and implement them in a way that gives us a ton of fun.

What I really like about this update is they are thinking about all types of players, in that they are looking at ways to help the visually impaired.

@Billy - you could even go a step further, and allow the players to determine what color schemes they wanted associated with each type of skill.  For instance I would like to have all Positive status effect be blue (not teal) and all misc. non-aggresive be white (not blue).  This could be a simple UI change, that allows us to change those 9 color types within a predesignated pallette.

Edited by Mazon

side note:

does any one else think the "version 2" of archetype power tooltip screens is a mess and horrible in comparsion of "version 1"?

(I know it was done so we can reslot and pick powers in the future....but still....)

I think going back to "version 1" style would an improvement e.g. like we see in the video

"version 1 redo":

UkGGw01.png

"version 2/now":

XP5nfSn.png

Think its safe to assume that it'll be updated to match the new shape and color code scheme that is the new direction of the icons.

Think its safe to assume that it'll be updated to match the new shape and color code scheme that is the new direction of the icons.

Love the new icons. Very intuitive. Thinking from the perspective of someone who joins all of us at launch and never touched an alpha or beta, it should allow them to gain a better understanding of the character quickly.

@Tinnis

My understanding is that version 2 exists in order to later allow us to move our skills around. I am not particularly found of it. Perhaps we could find something in the middle. The less something takes over my screen, the better.

I'm aware of and noted that it was changed for future reslotting.

But the problem is the reduced visibility of combo chains and its generally a pain to correlate the powers in the top section with their positions on the tray at the moment.

why not just version 1 layout with drag and drop of icons from a pool or menu?

@pang, yes there are many places we have to update based on this new direction. We are not locked into a final UI window design and are constantly iterating. Each new character, system and feature is an opportunity to take a step back and identify weak spots. The power grid assumes a wider range of available powers to pick from and slot to your own custom layout. That being said, if we start seeing that the range of options for characters is not that wide, we will likely redesign this screen to resemble the combo tree layout you've seen in the past. We won't find that out for a while, so in the mean time I hope its at least serviceable.

Billy Garretsen - UX Design Lead, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Personal Portfolio]

@pang, yes there are many places we have to update based on this new direction. We are not locked into a final UI window design and are constantly iterating. Each new character, system and feature is an opportunity to take a step back and identify weak spots. The power grid assumes a wider range of available powers to pick from and slot to your own custom layout. That being said, if we start seeing that the range of options for characters is not that wide, we will likely redesign this screen to resemble the combo tree layout you've seen in the past. We won't find that out for a while, so in the mean time I hope its at least serviceable.

thanks for the input.

my general problem with the current UI design is that combo chains are hidden and it can be a challenge to correlate a power in the top right with its current position on the power bar below

(am I wrong that I don't think we can currently mouse over the power abilities along the bottom in this screen at the moment?)