Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Redesigning Power Tray Icons - Official discussion thread

While I agree that some of the new icons can be a little difficult to tell what archetype they're for at first glance, your example of league of legends icons is biased by the fact that you know the game. You know what characters they go to because you memorized the characters ahead of time and you know what abilities they have.

That's what I wrote. "The icon itself doesn't inform me of any of that, it's just an image. But the image makes me remember how I used the ability in the past, what it was about, which key was pressed, etc."

I played Guild Wars 1 and 2 but, not for very long and I wouldn't be able to tell you what any of those abilities do unless they have a specific symbol in them (Like a bow) and even then it would just be a guess based on that symbol. With the flat version of the abilities, I still may be guessing based on a symbol but, now I have a way of knowing what the ability does at a glance. If I see an ability with a bow symbol, I can look at the shape and know it's an aggressive ranged attack or that it's a ranged debuff etc).

Guild Wars 1 had a very effective and intuitive color and symbol system for icons. There was a very large number of skills available per profession though, which could explain why it may have been harder to memorize them.

If LoL were to implement this same design, you might be able to tell which abilities are line nukes or CC's. 

I think that we wouldn't really need it since the purpose of the icon isn't usually to give us detailed information about the ability.

Practicing and reading the tooltip are common ways to learn what an ability is about.

Also, just like in World of Warcraft, once they implement keybindings and ability swapping (and maybe a macro system), they will have the chance to put all of those extra icons back in the game and you can customize your own hotbar.

I doubt that the devs would put the old icons in the game and let us swap between multiple versions of the same icon.

Edited by courant101

I like this new approach. Seems to get the job done quite well - better than before.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

I was wondering, do other games use this kind of icon-shape distinction? In theory, this concept appears to me as that good, that I was wondering why no other games / MMOs came up with this. Or is it just me, only recalling games with square shaped icons for skills / abilities?

i like path of exiles approach - abilities are "skill gems" in that game that you slot into equipment and link together for additional effects

clean color system (green = dex, blue = int, red = str) but also allows for the flavor of the skills to be shown in the gold design elements.

but radically different game style and character/ability system to Crowfall

skills.png

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

new system looks like decent, but again - redesign icon system isnt priority task against the background of fully uncomplete project I think?

{we have no craft, not fixed and uncomplete archetypes, alot of stability and fps issues, bugs, no MMORPG world, no guilds, some animation issues, uncompleted skills system, no general and other skill trees, no druid (murmidon and other 70% of classes + no male/female models for some classes)} = no game

sorry for negative - it is just adequate criticism. with plans to release game in early 2016 I think there will be at your best only closed beta with alot of content locked.

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

new system looks like decent, but again - redesign icon system isnt priority task against the background of fully uncomplete project I think?

{we have no craft, not fixed and uncomplete archetypes, alot of stability and fps issues, bugs, no MMORPG world, no guilds, some animation issues, uncompleted skills system, no general and other skill trees, no druid (murmidon and other 70% of classes + no male/female models for some classes)} = no game

sorry for negative - it is just adequate criticism. with plans to release game in early 2016 I think there will be at your best only closed beta with alot of content locked.

disagree

1) this redesign only requires the attention of their graphic designer(s) or user interface / experience members

2) less work to change something now going forward for consistency and usability

3) the other systems are likely to be dependent on other people in their team at this point e.g. engineers / programmers, animators, design leads / producers etc

disagree

1) this redesign only requires the attention of their graphic designer(s) or user interface / experience members

2) less work to change something now going forward for consistency and usability

3) the other systems are likely to be dependent on other people in their team at this point e.g. engineers / programmers, animators, design leads / producers etc

1) ye I know. but if their graphic designers or user interface members have alot of free time to working on such things - why we have no new better UI (current UI is not customable for example), animation sometimes looks like uncompleted, 1 month ago I saw no textures on some objects.

ofc they understand better in game design and processes, but we (as bakers, free testers and future clients) want to see actual progress not on "paper"

2) agree, but I think ppl love game not for icons. really lowes priority task

3) ye really looks like lack of programmers and spare designers/craftsmans. may be recuit more ppl to sync loading?

2015 year was very bad for MMORPG world. almost no projects (actually no projects) - same for 2016. 2017 have some good project to check out. probably Crowfall also. thats why I negotiate here. And thats why I wine.

Edited by makkon

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

1) ye I know. but if their graphic designers or user interface members have alot of free time to working on such things - why we have no new better UI (current UI is not customable for example), animation sometimes looks like uncompleted, 1 month ago I saw no textures on some objects.

ofc they understand better in game design and processes, but we (as bakers, free testers and future clients) want to see actual progress not on "paper"

2) agree, but I think ppl love game not for icons. really lowes priority task

3) ye really looks like lack of programmers and spare designers/craftsmans. may be recuit more ppl to sync loading?

2015 year was very bad for MMORPG world. almost no projects (actually no projects) - same for 2016. 2017 have some good project to check out. probably Crowfall also. thats why I negotiate here. And thats why I wine.

i did not indicate a lack of their team members or question how they are using their resources beyond what we see

(which they have said many systems being worked on in background)

i don't think you should either

a graphic designer is not an animator

Edited by Tinnis

This was redesigned based on feedback from the testers. The timing is great for several reasons

1) Its part of the combat system which they are also in the process of taking our feedback and adjusting

2) its a few months since the feedback was received on the original design

3) who gives a poorly make sock about crafting its a PVP game :) kk thx.

Right is what is important, who cares about timing.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

This was redesigned based on feedback from the testers. The timing is great for several reasons

1) Its part of the combat system which they are also in the process of taking our feedback and adjusting

2) its a few months since the feedback was received on the original design

Right is what is important, who cares about timing.

This.

Seriously how do we still see complaints like that? There is a TEAM of developers and coders and artists and they all have their own tasks and things they work on. Yes they work on the same game and work on things together but no, one dev doing something and showing his progress isn't going to somehow slow done other devs and their tasks. 

EDIT: disagree with #3 though. Crafting is super important in this game due to that's where the gear comes from and the economy is player run.

Edited by pang

UI/UX and those things you mentioned are entirely different features, being worked on by different individuals / groups. QoL changes like those proposed in this thread are still very welcome; even with those underlining issues you mentioned.

Edited by helix

It's a sandbox game that is centered on PvP.  I don't think that Crowfall will see as many subs if they don't focus on crafting and some PvE.  It's similar to EvE online; CCP needs the PvErs to help pay the bills so they can create/maintain the sandbox for the PvP player base.

I love PvP, but crafting needs to be a good part of the overall design, otherwise the economy suffers and the game is downgraded to an FPS instead of an MMORPG.

The user interface is important though, because it is literally the way we view the game.  Without any UI, we are left with a blank window and players would have no idea what skill did what, or what skill was associated with what button.

Meh, guess I just missed that part where they said it would be trays like GW, etc (didn't play the other one). Billy could've just said that instead of letting it rage on for 2 more pages about one topic. But, he did like that answer, so I guess that's what's going on. Wouldn't think I'd see so many more topics and comments about wanting a similar SB UI if the idea was already DOA.

have you considered applying a similar redesign to the readability and design of BUFF and DEBUFF icons visible on player portraits and models?

e.g. http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11891-more-elaborate-visual-cues-for-debuffs/?p=275901

p.s. got the following response when i asked about this :)

JywQFHd.png

Edited by Tinnis