Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stiviribar

Pve Yes Or No?

PvE is an absolute must, although the game should not be centered around it. You should be able to roam around the area and kill stuff without getting a group together in order to kill a mob.

Lich room in Deceit in UO and swamps in Shadowbane were always PvP hotspots and places fun to hang at.

Edited by rajah

I say sure put PvE in, but make it so there are no "PvE only" areas.

Have dungeons and the such, but:

1) You can be attacked by other players.

2) The mobs are not the usual "stand around and wait to die" spawns. Give them a social/strategic AI governor that directs them to work towards goals, such as either the destruction of all opposing forces in an area to monopolize resources, or under the right conditions, alliance.

Basically, model humanoid mobs to act like players when possible. Same deal on the combat AI- it should look for and exploit weakness whenever possible, like targeting the high DPS enemy who is wearing paper armor instead of rotely attacking the high hp high armor character in their face. Animal type mobs should act as either predator or prey- stalking, fleeing, etc.

But ensure it only decides based on human perceptible information- no psychic AI please (unless the mob in question is supposed to be)!

Edited by Overkilengine

PvE exists to set up a baseline of the world, all those creatures and animals, all the NPCs that help bring the game to life. PvE also provides a goals for players and variety in gameplay. Spending all your time looking for PvP interactions becomes meaningless if it's all you do. Even Eve has PvE, and Eve has a ton of non-PvP content to participate in, most play time is actually non-PvP content.

The game will be far less interesting if it has a total lack of PvE.

Do I want WoW questing? No.

Do I want things to do in the world, things to fight, and things to interact with that aren't other players? Yes.

I say sure put PvE in, but make it so there are no "PvE only" areas.

Have dungeons and the such, but:

1) You can be attacked by other players.

2) The mobs are not the usual "stand around and wait to die" spawns. Give them a social/strategic AI governor that directs them to work towards goals, such as either the destruction of all opposing forces in an area to monopolize resources, or under the right conditions, alliance.

Basically, model humanoid mobs to act like players when possible. Same deal on the combat AI- it should look for and exploit weakness whenever possible, like targeting the high DPS enemy who is wearing paper armor instead of rotely attacking the high hp high armor character in their face. Animal type mobs should act as either predator or prey- stalking, fleeing, etc.

But ensure it only decides based on human perceptible information- no psychic AI please (unless the mob in question is supposed to be)!

But of course...Guess i should have mentioned that.

I support non instanced PVE ! :)

Fighting over bosses. Ugh. just everything about that statement...

I want everything given to me easily is what your post reeks of.

THE CORRUPT FEAR  | THE HONEST SUPPORT  | THE HEROIC JOIN 

I want everything given to me easily is what your post reeks of.

misunderstanding....is what your post reeks of.

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I want a living breathing world, a virtual world true to real as possible. A world only inhabited by humans is not very real. I love pvp. I love other stuff too. If I wanted a game with 24/7 pvp, I wouldn't be looking for a MMO to fit that.

I'd actually like to see some sort of danger, aside from other players in the world.  And even non-dangerous ones too like deer (especially since there are no cars for them to total).  I mean as you're wandering around and exploring I think it would make more sense for there to be interesting sites that you can stumble upon.  Plus hunting (actual stalking) of an animal for a rare resource could be interesting for some players.

I would also really like to see the "environment" fight back too with rockslides, mudslides, flooding, etc. but that may be getting my hopes up I suppose.  One day though, one day.

Between dreams and reality.

Lantern Watch

I don't understand why there is so much hate on having some PvE.  When I played UO and Darkfall, so much of the PvP happened around farming spots.  It created a thrill, watching your back every time you engaged on mobs to make sure no one was hiding and waiting to kill you.  This was also a great way to get some phat loot as some people just didn't realize how long they had been farming.

Even in a PvP centered game you need some PvE.  It doesn't have to have a large focus on it, but it does need to exist.  This creates a way to progress your character, get items / resources, and gives you something else to do.  What would you do with absolutely no PvE?  Build your city and try to siege someone else's?  Pretty sure this isn't going to be Age of Empires through the eyes of a soldier.

Edited by kazatoth

Player vs. Environment does not automatically mean WoW clone or instanced dungeons or gear grinds.   Adding PvE does not take away from PvP - if you don't like it don't do it. 

The way the game is being presented now, the only thing that players absolutely MUST do is PvP.  So if you loathe PvE or can't get your mind around the concept that not all PvE is worthless, then don't PvE.

The reason I see for adding some PvE into the game is that it expands the options for creating a solid player base dramatically.  After seeing what happened to Wildstar, I very much hope that this game does not roll merrily down the same "niche game that screws it up because they don't get the numbers they want and try to fix it at the last minute thereby making it horrific" road that Wildstar went down.

Player versus Environment can be as simple as creatures that attack players.  It can mean exploration gives a reward.  Or storylines that explain the lore of the game.  Without PvE how do you actually learn the lore?  Read signs in towns or talk to a lore NPC that boasts a +5 puts you to sleep skill?  Some may not see the need for lore but for others wandering around all day killing other people for land may not make the game much fun in the long run without a framework to put the experience in.

PvE is entertaining and fun for some people like PvP is entertaining and fun for other people.  Some folks find both grand.  It's a much smarter course to let some PvE into the game and expand the player base so that the game has a better chance for success.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

yap agree with the necessity of encounters (PvE content) outhere with bosses that give (only way possible) THE rarest item to pump up Ur equip, and the possibility for two different guilds/groups to fight during that time to get the right to kill the boss.

same i desire th possibility to loot the rarest item just secs after the drop (smarter rouges don't fight with boss 'till alive but after, when enemies are week or deadh).

also i desire only element drops in all the world, not refined items U can wear right away...U need to craft it or go to a good well known crafter!

besically like in the real world, if U want a tiger skin carpet U need to kill a tiger and work it out, or buy it from someone that has worked it out after buying it from the original killer....U don't rop a tiger skin carpet from a tiger!!!

yes my firend, i will kill you, and i enjoy it ^^

I don't understand why there is so much hate on having some PvE.  When I played UO and Darkfall, so much of the PvP happened around farming spots.  It created a thrill, watching your back every time you engaged on mobs to make sure no one was hiding and waiting to kill you.  This was also a great way to get some phat loot as some people just didn't realize how long they had been farming.

Even in a PvP centered game you need some PvE.  It doesn't have to have a large focus on it, but it does need to exist.  This creates a way to progress your character, get items / resources, and gives you something else to do.  What would you do with absolutely no PvE?  Build your city and try to siege someone else's?  Pretty sure this isn't going to be Age of Empires through the eyes of a soldier.

From reading many other posts about this subject, I can tell you the veteran players are concerned with bot farmers setting up macros and ruining the game economy farming in one spot, and selling the gold for real life cash.

I know you've crafted in games with weak economies and little respect for crafters. If you want crafters to get respect near what the warriors get, you will want the economy to keep players hungry for gold. static PvE sites are another resource site that can potentially ruin the game economy for you.

Try to have some faith in their experience and the developers vision.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Fighting over bosses. Ugh. just everything about that statement...

I love open world bosses and events because they are hot spots for PvP.

Edited by noobzilla_youtube

I want a living breathing world, a virtual world true to real as possible. A world only inhabited by humans is not very real. I love pvp. I love other stuff too. If I wanted a game with 24/7 pvp, I wouldn't be looking for a MMO to fit that.

Exactly!   An MMO with no pve...LOL.  It would almost be fun to watch such a train wreck.  But hopefully not this game, since I want to play it.

Exactly!   An MMO with no pve...LOL.  It would almost be fun to watch such a train wreck.  But hopefully not this game, since I want to play it.

That is the route that Camelot Unchained is taking. While I am known for being a PvPer, I do think that PvE has a place as well.

yap agree with the necessity of encounters (PvE content) outhere with bosses that give (only way possible) THE rarest item to pump up Ur equip, and the possibility for two different guilds/groups to fight during that time to get the right to kill the boss.

same i desire th possibility to loot the rarest item just secs after the drop (smarter rouges don't fight with boss 'till alive but after, when enemies are week or deadh).

also i desire only element drops in all the world, not refined items U can wear right away...U need to craft it or go to a good well known crafter!

besically like in the real world, if U want a tiger skin carpet U need to kill a tiger and work it out, or buy it from someone that has worked it out after buying it from the original killer....U don't rop a tiger skin carpet from a tiger!!!

There are multiple ways to do almost anything.

"Since we (really the developers) are making this up anyway, let's make it something cool."

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

It's a much smarter course to let some PvE into the game and expand the player base so that the game has a better chance for success.

Pretty sure the devs are not aiming for this "success" you're talking about.

It has been said they're doing something different. Not for everyone.

Also they warned us many people will get disapointed when the countdown reaches zero. Pretty sure they're aiming for a specific public.

So any "expand the player base"  type of argument is invalid here.

Don't catch me wrong. I think PvE is a must. But I also think this game is not for me.