Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

(OOC) How do you plan to RP faction / god allegiance?

Rikutatis

I'm going to cut and paste something I wrote in another thread:

I think the problem at this point is how the whole picture is shaping up to be. On top of racial identity, faction and religious identity also seem to be out of the picture. The lore feels a bit like an after thought without much concrete implications. Although the core of the Crowfall story revolves around the Throne War and how gods created the Crows to champion their cause in this war, you can switch factions and gods every campaign. Your only lasting loyalty seems to be to your guild. And that's perfectly fine and I can understand why they're going this route, to keep the game fresh and try to minimize balance issues in the long run and just make it more fun overall. But it does kind of put the entire lore of the game in the back seat. To me it feels like the lore and the gameplay are somewhat disconnected at this point, like one doesn't support the other. As long as your character concept revolves around some kind of mercenary type with  shifting loyalties, the gameplay will support you. Otherwise, you need to go out of your way to make it work.

So how are you guys planning to RP your character's allegiance to faction and/or the gods? I see many folks describing their characters backstories as strictly loyal to a certain god, how would that affect your gameplay? Would you restrict yourself by only fighting in the name of that one god in all campaigns you take part in? What if your guild decides to fight for another god or even faction in a certain campaign due to political alliances or whatever? Would you stay out of that campaign, or just take it as another opportunity for RP'ing personal conflict?  ^_^

Oh well.....maybe it's an obvious idear, but my character won't fight for or with the gods...rather, she's trying to find her own way, searching for freedom. Rather than following a god, she wll follow her friends and those on the same quest as her.

"The gods made me immortal, but gave me no purpose other than to kill. I've killed and died so many times, I yearn for something more....."

Maybe she's even going to hate them...going to figure that one out on the go :D

That way, I don't have to stay away from any campaigns, or fight for specific gods.....on the down side, maybe some day I'm not going to fight at all - good background story for a crafter/ merchant, I guess...mh....we'll see :3

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

Well, Mithril Warhammers is typically an all-dwarf guild.  In many games, when feasible, this has meant that we only play dwarves; in the games that we stay in longest, it typically also means we have alts of other species/classes (not elves).  For example, in Shadowbane our nation, or top-level guild, was all dwarf and we had an almost ARAC sub-guild.

Although we haven't talked at length about this game (for several reasons, including: a majority of the guild is not invested in the game yet), in part because of the very unknowns you raised, those of us testing have chatted a bit.  Really, I see two options [the second has many sub-options].

(1) If we can play all dwarf without being gimp, we will.  This seems extremely unlikely, however; additionally, if we stick around long enough we will likely blend to...

(2) Dwarf main for everyone with VIP and then two alt archetypes.  If we do this, our god choice will become interesting for RP.  I have been brainstorming at least two interesting possibilities.  First, the lore which suggests Forgemasters are attemping to atone for Kane apparently killing Gaea and therefore our god would be Gaea and we would limit our alts in 'balance' to specific allies of Gaea.  Second, creating our own lore where we reject the common interpretation of the Gods' histories and instead splinter to follow Kane - which would put us in 'chaos' and lead to different god/archetype allies.

I should say, I still think about Lore when it was clearer that there was a 1:1 God:Archetype relationship (at least that is how I read the early releases from ACE). For the vast, vast majority of players I have to imagine God choice will be irrelevant insofar as it is irrelevant to winning.  For us, we try to make holistic choices in the game, so we'll see how it goes.  I still think that ACE should  (and somewhat expect they will) demand a single God choice by account, and that the God choice affects your position in God's Reach (RvRvR) and Infected (God X 12).

I also really hope for Lore driven CWs, which seems like a good possibility given the design motivation for CWs (flexibility and variety).

Edited by mctan

• 3 weeks later...

(2) Dwarf main for everyone with VIP and then two alt archetypes.  If we do this, our god choice will become interesting for RP.  I have been brainstorming at least two interesting possibilities.  First, the lore which suggests Forgemasters are attemping to atone for Kane apparently killing Gaea and therefore our god would be Gaea and we would limit our alts in 'balance' to specific allies of Gaea.  Second, creating our own lore where we reject the common interpretation of the Gods' histories and instead splinter to follow Kane - which would put us in 'chaos' and lead to different god/archetype allies.

I should say, I still think about Lore when it was clearer that there was a 1:1 God:Archetype relationship (at least that is how I read the early releases from ACE). For the vast, vast majority of players I have to imagine God choice will be irrelevant insofar as it is irrelevant to winning.  For us, we try to make holistic choices in the game, so we'll see how it goes.  I still think that ACE should  (and somewhat expect they will) demand a single God choice by account, and that the God choice affects your position in God's Reach (RvRvR) and Infected (God X 12).

I also really hope for Lore driven CWs, which seems like a good possibility given the design motivation for CWs (flexibility and variety).

That interpretation of the lore as Forgemasters following Gaea instead sounds pretty interesting. Lately I've been thinking of something similar, but for a different archetype. Like a Druid that would start following Yaga after Gaea's death to account for the cycle of life reaching its end (reaping). Since Cybele, Gaea and Yaga are generally seen as different embodiments of the same natural cycle. 

As much as I agree with you and would hope for Lore driven CWs and accounts needing to make a single God choice, from what I have read so far, it does not seem like the game is going in that direction. I'm just kinda curious about whether the whole "throne war" concept will actually mean anything in the long term for gameplay or if it's just going to be getting buffs at the end of each campaign depending on which god you chose for that specific campaign. 

As much as I agree with you and would hope for Lore driven CWs and accounts needing to make a single God choice, from what I have read so far, it does not seem like the game is going in that direction. I'm just kinda curious about whether the whole "throne war" concept will actually mean anything in the long term for gameplay or if it's just going to be getting buffs at the end of each campaign depending on which god you chose for that specific campaign. 

It does not, but JTC does keep teasing us with the idea that they have lots of different knobs they can turn to make different kinds of CWs.

It does not, but JTC does keep teasing us with the idea that they have lots of different knobs they can turn to make different kinds of CWs.

You know what would be cool?  A RP CW. 

Make a low import/no export rule-set to keep out the riffraff.  Sure, some griefers would still attend, but you could deal with them through some light policing (as most wouldn't touch it unless they were RPers due to the export in particular).  It would be a lovely sandbox for those who really want to get immersed (could be very old school MUD-like).  I might make a suggestion post about this... 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

You know what would be cool?  A RP CW. 

Make a low import/no export rule-set to keep out the riffraff.  Sure, some griefers would still attend, but you could deal with them through some light policing (as most wouldn't touch it unless they were RPers due to the export in particular).  It would be a lovely sandbox for those who really want to get immersed (could be very old school MUD-like).  I might make a suggestion post about this... 

I'm down.  But, there should still be export...:)

For my character in particular, I'm looking at the god allegiance almost like a political party system. You generally have to pick one, but your views won't align perfectly. My character is opposed to the war of the gods, so he will often be aligned with balance, but he also believes the Hunger is righteous, so he also has some similar views with chaos.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

For my character in particular, I'm looking at the god allegiance almost like a political party system. You generally have to pick one, but your views won't align perfectly. My character is opposed to the war of the gods, so he will often be aligned with balance, but he also believes the Hunger is righteous, so he also has some similar views with chaos.

Sounds tough. But certainly will make for a good conversation ;)

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

And some good sermons too! I plan to start my own church :)

Well, that turned me down pretty fast xD But maybe I'll come and visit you sometimes to discuss and phylosophize ;)

As my character will likely be sort of an atheist, thats going to make a happy couple of hours, don't you think?