Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Overkillengine

Account Creation Restrictions Are Important

Too many games have been eaten alive from the inside by locust swarms of botters spam creating accounts once they beat any sort of captcha or other "are you human?" validation measures you put in.

They will always beat them.

By all means, still include those  measures to slow them down. But to ward off the bot locusts, you need to hit them where it hurts- their profits.

Which is why I propose this measure: Any active account MUST have a valid payment method on file, be it a credit card, debit card, or Paypal account. Allow prepaid version of these as well. Perform validation like how Paypal does with processing a small charge and immediately crediting it back.

Accounts that get banned also get the associated payment method banned. It cannot be reinstated/reused without human management review.

Legitimate users whom are worried about being scammed or account security can register a prepaid card with only enough balance to pass the validation.

Botters can do this too, but the costs add up very fast given that botters make their profits via using multiple accounts.

So attach an opportunity cost to that and you go a long way towards combatting the botter problem.

Edited by Overkilengine

yeah...free to play encourages bots and farmers...put in a sub fee and most of that goes away..

it also does away with the insane "entitlement" you find among free to play people

hey, i can Dream...can't i?

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

P2P Ftw. In a game where GvG will most likely be the focus, a monthly payment means people playing fewer characters, becoming better players, and using less bots.

No costumes plz thnx.

Ugh I can't abide entitled F2P people in TOR.  "Why can't we have this extra stuff?!"   Umm... because you're not paying the monthly sub fee?  gtfo

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

One account for one credit / debit card / PayPal etc. Then add in sub-fees and a box fee. 

So if I have an account and my wife has an account, it has to be on separate cards?  I don't think any idea that inconveniences legitimate players is a good one.

So if I have an account and my wife has an account, it has to be on separate cards?  I don't think any idea that inconveniences legitimate players is a good one.

By that logic you should be pretty much in favor any measure that impairs bots since the greatest inconvenience to a legit player is a game that gets swarmed by locust plagues of botters and dies.

Yep, I agree with all of that.

Trial accounts should also either not exist or be very limited (can't talk in any sort of public or global chat, restricted from certain areas, etc.).