Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An Idea / Mechanic For Pistols And Reloading.

IamMe

Little bit of background: I heard a song about Jack Sparrow, a pirate, that reminded me about this scene:

maxresdefault.jpg

I remembered the entire scene where they drew the pistols from a belt on their chest just  to notice that the blackpowder is wet.

All of them being pirates I remember a tabletop figure which a similiar belt:

After a thorough search on the interwebs (about 5 minutes) I couldnt find a single flintlock pistol with a convenient reload mechanic or multiple barrels to shoot from.

Long story short: How about a belt with 2 or 3 on it pistols that you can spend over multiple shot-type skills (scatter, bleed, cripple, aimed, one with a little roll, a knockdown). All of these pistol category skills would use one of those charges i.e. a loaded pistol on your belt. This could be displayed as simple as a little number on each of those skill, or under the resourcebar. But my favorite would be a litteral belt with pistols on it that become greyed out or black when used up (or something similiar).

Those pistols could be reloaded when you can make some time for it (when you burrowed away or under the ground for example)

to use them in the fight again.

The "Pistol belt" could be a secondary item like the bow of the ranger, below that you put the ammo, on the other side of the equipment window the dagger / rapier. That would eliminate the problem where you would have to craft 3 different pistols and equip them. Or, lord behold, you have to hot swap the loaded pistol out of your inventory.

That would create a element of strategy where teamplay is quite helpful, that you need to keep in mind and the opponents can consider in their play. Of course that would mean you couldn't just kite away for 10 minutes on range like the Champion can.

Also this would prevent the very unimmersive onslaught of bullets that you see in some other games.

The promotion class that furthers this aspect could not only just get a rifle (the idea I like currently) but also a gernerally reduced reload time, more shot-type skills and / or more pistols on the belt.

What do you think, fellow Guineceans & Gun masters?

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I hope they change their mind on the duelist pistols and make them small handheld crossbows. Pistol for duelist but nothing else seems really out of place and i dont want gunpoweder or twchnology in ky sword and scorcery game

But im sure what ever they use will have soe cool animations and mechanics

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

I hope they change their mind on the duelist pistols and make them small handheld crossbows. Pistol for duelist but nothing else seems really out of place and i dont want gunpoweder or twchnology in ky sword and scorcery game

the skill training trees indicated the presence of crossbows. one node states 2 handed while the other one didn't ....so you never know....

[also shortbows, recurve bows, longbows, one handed pistols]

https://sites.google.com/site/crowfallresource/game-info/skills/combat/weapon-styles/weapon-styles-ranged

Seems a bit overly complex and unnecessary system when they already have one in game with the ammo system for arrows they will likely use. Just like Rangers and Stalkers will have to keep a stock of arrows on them the Duelist will have to keep bullets stocked on them. Then obv craft or buy more when they run out.

Edited by pang

A clear nope, nope nope on my part. There should be another option besides magic for everything. Magic isnt fantastic anymore if you just use it for everything. Pistols also have a lot more flavor imo then a crossbow. If anything they can remove (small) crossbows. We already have a string weapon shooting arrows.

EDIT: Ok apparently according to the passive skill tree pistols are arcane. Nice compromise then =D

Seems a bit overly complex and unnecessary system when they already have one in game with the ammo system for arrows they will likely use. Just like Rangers and Stalkers will have to keep a stock of arrows on them the Duelist will have to keep bullets stocked on them. Then obv craft or buy more when they run out.

But how do you deal with flintlock pistols only holding one shot then? Without making them reload after every shot which would make balancing near impossible. Flintlock pistols, unlike bows, can't just shoot out 20 projectile in quick succession. They need to put in gunpower, then the bullet, compress it, then fire. Example.

To the ammo system: I would say both is appropriate! I edited the post clarify the involvement of crafting. Just clicking a button where you see a channel / cast bar "Reloading" after you have all pistols loaded again doesnt seem complicated to me, honestly.

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I couldn't agree more. The whole pistol thing can be removed, I hate it with a fiery passion. I hate the Guinecean Duelist just because of this. It feels and seems so out of place to have in Crowfall.

Small crossbow are a nice replacement, but I rather see them with a pee-shooter. ;)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

A clear nope, nope nope on my part. There should be another option besides magic for everything. Magic isnt fantastic anymore if you just use it for everything. Pistols also have a lot more flavor imo then a crossbow. If anything they can remove (small) crossbows. We already have a string weapon shooting arrows.

EDIT: Ok apparently according to the passive skill tree pistols are arcane. Nice compromise then =D

But how do you deal with flintlock pistols only holding one shot then? Without making them reload after every shot which would make balancing near impossible. Flintlock pistols, unlike bows, can't just shoot out 20 projectile in quick succession. They need to put in gunpower, then the bullet, compress it, then fire. Example.

To the ammo system: I would say both is appropriate! I edited the post clarify the involvement of crafting. Just clicking a button where you see a channel / cast bar "Reloading" after you have all pistols loaded again doesnt seem complicated to me, honestly.

First agree with the notion that pistols and gunpowder fit right in with magic. Thinking about fantasy RPG games I've played over the years having a harder time remembering fantasy games that didn't use both to varying degrees. Some do have a hard line sure but by no means is it the norm and out of the realm of possibility for them to coexist.

But then that goes right into my main point of the ammo system being adequate for the purposes here. Its a bit much to claim being 100% ok with magic but then in the next breath maintain pistols and gunpowder need to be realistic to irl. If you are ok with archers being able to get as many shots off in rapid succession that they do then is realistically possible then pistols doing the same isn't a stretch at all.

and yeah as you edited, magic pistols. or a Wizard did it lol.

First agree with the notion that pistols and gunpowder fit right in with magic. Thinking about fantasy RPG games I've played over the years having a harder time remembering fantasy games that didn't use both to varying degrees. Some do have a hard line sure but by no means is it the norm and out of the realm of possibility for them to coexist.

But then that goes right into my main point of the ammo system being adequate for the purposes here. Its a bit much to claim being 100% ok with magic but then in the next breath maintain pistols and gunpowder need to be realistic to irl. If you are ok with archers being able to get as many shots off in rapid succession that they do then is realistically possible then pistols doing the same isn't a stretch at all.

and yeah as you edited, magic pistols. or a Wizard did it lol.

Thank you for exaplaining that to me! Didnt come to my mind, to have magic pistols. For me gunpower or tech in general was always the weapon against magic. You don't need to be student of an expensive academy with special superpowers (fluff).

It just sprung into my mind the other day and I thought I'd put it out there =P but from that point of view I am also fine with a rapid fire flintlock pistol. Would like the flavor approach more though. It also brings in some fresh mechanics that I havnt seen like this before.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I do like those little creatures gun-bearing. But well, everyone got their own tastes. Perhaps there will be the option to choose. Would support that: you're going to visit the Druids of Woodcutters Horror? Than you'd better not go there carrying those fire-blasting little monsters. Make it old-style.

Ups, away with you, RP'ler, shush!

I think they won't bring in a new mechanic, minimal costs and all. But if they did, I would give my vote for the gunbelt-shaped ressourcebar (little numbers are...little.....and thus....nope). As for the Confessor with his mana-gathering skill, floating in midair, there could than be a skill for the Guineceans: ducking down, reloading pistols. Equaly time consuming, equaly vulnerable.

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

• 3 weeks later...

I like it, an intelligent species who chose Mind without gifts for Might or Magic. But to everyone their own, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

No gnomes/goblins of Warcraft, thanks.  Pistols are in, however.  I like the idea of having one shot, crafted pistols.  However, having to sit and reload all your pistols for maximum power would be unfun ("Wait guys, I have 3 more pistols to load...).  So, I think they should just put the skill on a slow timer, make it short ranged and high damage.  Also, ammo in the bag, just like arrows. 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus