Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Durenthal

Crowfall SurveyMonkey Survey June 7th

Nice to see the Survey.   Hope the responses are useful to you, and that you get more responses than a typical post on the forums, and from different points of view.  I tried to be pretty detailed in the limited space I was afforded :)

It's really good that you're soliciting the answers to the questions you asked, but my feelings about the survey are the same as my feelings about ACE's forum communications - too superficial, not deep enough.  I would have liked the questions to have been more specific and to have dug deeper into the issues you brought up.

I love filling out surveys

What did everyone say about speed/pace related stuff?

too slow(forget the exact phrase), slow, just right, too fast? I said slow

Edited by oberon

I can't say everyone should have got it but some people should be getting a survey in their email

Oh that one!  I was looking around the website for a survey but didn't check my email.

IhhQKY6.gif

I said slow.  Painfully slow was an option, and I wavered....

I think that if they speed things up and allow more movement for melee they will have to loosen the targeting significantly on single-target ranged attacks or really increase projectile speed, so that people aren't sidestepping ranged attacks.

I don't necessarily need faster combat, but I want more responsive combat.  And I don't like the combo system as it's currently implemented.  Combo up to a big damage smash attack? Great!  Hide necessary CC / utility powers behind combo buildup moves?  Crappy.

Well,  I put the combat speed (pace) "Just right" then elaborated at the bottom saying that it's just about right.

I added that I would like to see more mobility from the turret ranged classes.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

too slow(forget the exact phrase), slow, just right, too fast? I said slow

I was torn on how to respond to that. When I am trying to escape people it feels fast. When I am trying to catch people it feels slow. I guess the various dashes/leaps are more effective at avoiding than they are at catching.

IhhQKY6.gif

Well,  I put the combat speed (pace) "Just right" then elaborated at the bottom saying that it's just about right.

I added that I would like to see more mobility from the turret ranged classes.

Guess we answered that question the same, haha.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I was torn on how to respond to that. When I am trying to escape people it feels fast. When I am trying to catch people it feels slow. I guess the various dashes/leaps are more effective at avoiding than they are at catching.

Agreed on all fronts

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

Agree with Duren, questions need to be more specific. In terms of the speed of gameplay I responded painfully slow but I made a note that the actual problem was that is was incredibly clunky. Animation lock, fine, longer than usual casting time, why not, but this stop to cast everything on any of the ranged classes thing sucks. Probably the single most anoyying mechanic in this game work around as a ranged archetype player.

HECIfKy.jpg

Sugoi - Student Council President

Agree with Duren, questions need to be more specific. In terms of the speed of gameplay I responded painfully slow but I made a note that the actual problem was that is was incredibly clunky. Animation lock, fine, longer than usual casting time, why not, but this stop to cast everything on any of the ranged classes thing sucks. Probably the single most anoyying mechanic in this game work around as a ranged archetype player.

What if they allowed ranged to move and cast at regular speed at two or three times the resource cost?  For example, if the Confessor holds down "Alt" when she presses 1, it's move and fire but drains resources much more quickly.  If that is too powerful still, maybe they could add the same daze mechanic to it as getting hit outside of combat stance while moving and attacking.  Dunno, just thinking out loud...

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

What if they allowed ranged to move and cast at regular speed at two or three times the resource cost?  For example, if the Confessor holds down "Alt" when she presses 1, it's move and fire but drains resources much more quickly.  If that is too powerful still, maybe they could add the same daze mechanic to it as getting hit outside of combat stance while moving and attacking.  Dunno, just thinking out loud...

Not a bad idea but lets not complicate things here. The issue at hand is that combat isnt fun because of the clunkiness. If it were a simple power issue its not that hard to nerf or buff abilities to adjust then. Theres alot of problems with gameplay but lets fix it 1 at a time. Next ima go after the stupid damage splitting mechanic.

HECIfKy.jpg

Sugoi - Student Council President

Not a bad idea but lets not complicate things here. The issue at hand is that combat isnt fun because of the clunkiness. If it were a simple power issue its not that hard to nerf or buff abilities to adjust then. Theres alot of problems with gameplay but lets fix it 1 at a time. Next ima go after the stupid damage splitting mechanic.

Perhaps, though I think it could be fun to choose if it is better to move and fight or stand and fight.  It may add a bit to strategy and allow for that movement that a lot of ranged players seem to really want.  However, clunkiness first (I agree). 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

In reference to the speed of combat the question asked was entirely too vague. When one person hears speed they think movement speed, another would imagine how "fast" the druid blight balls explode, and yet another would think of long casting times, another of animation locks. Each player's prejudice will cause them to interpret the question differently, if that's what the devs were looking for then it shouldn't be a multiple choice, or at least give us enough characters to elaborate on our answers.

In short I agree with Duren that the questions just aren't explicit enough to generate useful and thoughtful answers.

Hg0LXwa.png

I made the additional comments section weep.

The main points I brought up because I don't think they get enough airtime:

(1) The game beyond combat.  I understand the focus from devs and community, but I find it hilarious when people are like "that game had great combat, but it sucked and I quit because of all the other problems" but seem to have a dogmatic focus on combat in this game.  Combat obviously matters, and bad combat will ruin the game, but so will bad a lot of things, and we need to keep our focus on lots of things (combat, crafting, characters development, guilds, zergs, sieges, building, EKs, resources, PoIs, etc.).  I know a lot of it is coming, still, but that's what I wrote about.

(2) Character differentiability.  I spoke a bit about my hopes for promotion classes and disciplines, but I mostly focused on the passive training system.  I suggested that they consider making it an alternatives-based system (not just time-based).  My example was champions training both 2h axe and 2h hammer.  I'd rather be forced to make a choice.  I prefer the choice not be rigid (axe or hammer) and be distributive, instead; in the sense that I could go 10/0, 8.5/1.5, 5/5, etc.  I think the more ways they make within-archetype differentiation, the better. Edit: I also mentioned ordered-pair comboing instead of (or maybe in addition to) branched combos.

(3) Out-of-combat and recovery.  I suggested faster out-of-combat speed, with a damage penalty (2-3x) and no recovery, along with a recovery stance with no speed (sitting) and a damage penalty (3-4x).  No more dizzy/knockdown OOC, IMO.  Push dizzy/knockdown into status effect on powers.  Maybe spread them between archetypes so knights dizzy and champions knockdown dizzy players, I don't know.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I said slow.  Painfully slow was an option, and I wavered....

I think that if they speed things up and allow more movement for melee they will have to loosen the targeting significantly on single-target ranged attacks or really increase projectile speed, so that people aren't sidestepping ranged attacks.

I don't necessarily need faster combat, but I want more responsive combat.  And I don't like the combo system as it's currently implemented.  Combo up to a big damage smash attack? Great!  Hide necessary CC / utility powers behind combo buildup moves?  Crappy.

Yea hiding CC and support behind other powers irks me. I can kind of understand why they did it with CC (because they wanted to give people more time to react), but that really goes out the window the more people you add to the screen.While I think combat has improved for melees, I personally think they need to re-evaluate their stance on having all the ranged archetypes being just positional turrets. This game play does not inspire me in the least.

Strategy is not exclusively associated with "having to stand still".

Edited by helix