• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ACE Q&A for June - Official discussion thread

definitely hidden video element for me via chrome on the article

shows as either blank or a broken image link

http://imgur.com/a/XkhUr

the link itself is there and working but invisible / hidden / broken image

They are working on the site and it's causing issues. Pann put a post out on it here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/12137-website-a-little-wonky/

Still hoping for damage splitting to be heavily modified / removed.

I'm with you on this. Though they did mention a Druid power than pulses damage to everyone with no cap and something called chain lightning that apparently has no target limit. I hope these stay in as AoE to counters packed in groups. 

Edited by Keaggan

In the first 30 seconds; mentioning having room on the card for at least 6 more months, and then Todd mentioning making the card last through launch.  Theories ignite!

Archetypes and counter archetypes: interesting.

Sad face for no summoning skill like in SB.  That was a unique element to strategy during banes that I will miss.  Looking forward to other things they put into the game though.

Like hearing that there are ideas for more depth to the EKs.

lUvvzPy.png

definitely hidden video element for me via chrome on the article

shows as either blank or a broken image link

http://imgur.com/a/XkhUr

the link itself is there and working but invisible / hidden / broken image

Apparently, there's some dumb law that requires us to let people on the team have lunch once a day, but I've been assured that once they have finished aforementioned lunch they will fix the website. 

Apparently, there's some dumb law that requires us to let people on the team have lunch once a day, but I've been assured that once they have finished aforementioned lunch they will fix the website. 

Ugh, they have like ALL DAY for lunch on their 1 day off every month. That's like 48 half hour lunches. Plenty.

Summary (paraphrasing):

Is Zerging something ACE wants to encourage or discourage? 

ACE definition of Zerging: A group of people grouping into a big ball, tightly packed with all the AoE heals hitting them, and that achieves to annihilate everything. There are many elements of gameplay in Crowfall that discourage Zerging: physics powers knocking players out of this big ball, some powers like the Aurora Emitter and Chain Lighting that punish players who stay too close from each others, the player colliders that limit the number of characters that can physically stand in a single spot, etc. However, there is an advantage to larger numbers, just like there's an advantage to being skilled. Ballistas, which are about to come online, are specifically made for hitting a targeted group of people and to kill them rapidly, just like the Aurora Emitter that deals damage to all the characters standing nearby.

ACE is working on scaling up the number of combatants. The number of players fighting in a small area is pretty small right now, but very soon this number should dramatically increase.

Can we have more details about the promotions? 

As ACE has been building combat for a while, the promotion classes were put on hold. Recently they've started working on it more and tried to figure out the Archetypes and their counter Archetypes (which ones could defeat the other ones). ACE has been wondering what is the best way of approaching the promotion classes, if there should be a universal rule, for example always have 3 promotions per Archetype. They realized that it wouldn't be the best solution since they wanted variability. What is important for ACE is, first, that each of those promotion classes feel different from the base Archetype and the other classes of this Archetype and second, to give a way for the players to further specialize in their preferred play style. ACE will focus on strong ideas rather than creating 3 promotion classes that may end up feeling weak. What ACE has promised during the Kickstarter is the foundation of the game that may exist for many years to come and more promotion classes can be added after launch.

Did ACE vision on promotions change since the time they were originally announced? 

The promotion classes weren't set in stone at the beginning and generally the details from a system are always going to change. Things that initially seemed very interesting may not work in the end and new ideas also emerge while the team explore certain systems. It's very difficult to design far ahead of the curve because the developers have to be constantly playing and adapting the game to the new information and technical challenges. (e.g. number of animations to make new bodies, discipline slots vs. body, too much animation data, etc.) It's always a question of balance. With a giant animation and character pipeline team, ACE could make everything custom and unique. However ACE doesn't have a budget close to projects that spend $100,000,000 on development. It's not possible to have a similar number and quality of animations with a tenth of the budget. ACE wants to find the balance point between the coolest content, replayability and customization, and the resources and money that they have.

When will the mini campaign begin? 

The first mini campaign will probably not feature seasons. It will have victory conditions and will be played very fast. ACE believes that there may be an additional milestone between now and the first mini campaign because there are several changes coming online soon to make the world bigger, which means more exploration and a longer duration. It's a major technical challenge to transform a 20 minutes long match into a 72 hours long campaign. ACE will announce this intermediary milestone soon when they have figured out some of the details.

ACE considers that it's now the time to build the real game rather than constantly pushing smaller updates for functional testing. There are some big challenges that the studio is facing like supporting a large number of combatants or large worlds with contiguous areas that are dynamically loading and the developers consider that it's better to start working on it as soon as possible. It may have an impact on the order that the players will see things coming. In an upcoming announcement, ACE will explain what are the features that are coming sooner and those coming later. Hunger Dome and Siege Perilous are still available for testing and will continue to receive new additions (e.g. the Druid in Siege Perilous, pieces of siege equipment, balances, etc.)

Will there be any fast movement feature in the Campaigns and Eternal Kingdoms? 

An example of fast movement feature would be the summoning spell in Shadowbane, with which certain classes could summon people across the world. There won't be something similar to that in Crowfall. There will be some teleporters on the maps but they will not be common since ACE wants players to physically travel and carry their resources around the world. One solution discussed by ACE would be to have teleporters that can transport people and their equipment, but not the resources they're carrying. ACE believes that summon spells are always problematic. (e.g. in Shadowbane some players achieved to get to the GM testing island that was far away in the ocean by summoning each others repetitively right before drowning)

Is there room in the backstory to allow for more worlds and modes than what is currently planned? 

Absolutely. Todd has ideas he would like to try in the future. (e.g. trying to bridge the gap between Eternal Kingdoms and Campaigns) However he wants to be careful to not promise new things between now and launch, because ACE promised a lot already and have to deliver on those things first to fulfill their promises. ACE does have a larger grand vision for Crowfall and if the base of the game is fun, with enough monthly customers to support the game, ACE is willing to keep building this game for a very long time. Todd would love to just work on this game for the next ten years.

Edited by courant101

Wonder what this "monthly paying customers" is all about.  I know the game currently is B2P, but I am curious as to what this monthly subscription is about other than VIP.  If that's all it is then cool.  I am still hoping for some sort of cosmetic cash shop thingy.  While I am not huge into the cosmetic stuff, I do like to spiff up my characters sometimes and will drop a few dollars to have that.  But there are some people that love that stuff and drop quite a bit of money.  

About the zerg statement, that should have been "stack busting".  

No summoning is kind of a bummer, but at the same time I understand that you are developing this beautiful world and that is one thing that Shadowbane was lacking unless you were running through a zone.  If you pack the campaign map full of monsters and places to go and paths etc etc, then at least that makes the run back to your group more interesting and sometimes fun.  During battles it will be a hindrance if you get wiped, but that just means you gotta bring your A game.

Regardless, good update, still stoked for live :)!

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Wonder what this "monthly paying customers" is all about.  I know the game currently is B2P, but I am curious as to what this monthly subscription is about other than VIP.  If that's all it is then cool.  I am still hoping for some sort of cosmetic cash shop thingy.  While I am not huge into the cosmetic stuff, I do like to spiff up my characters sometimes and will drop a few dollars to have that.  But there are some people that love that stuff and drop quite a bit of money.  

About the zerg statement, that should have been "stack busting".  

No summoning is kind of a bummer, but at the same time I understand that you are developing this beautiful world and that is one thing that Shadowbane was lacking unless you were running through a zone.  If you pack the campaign map full of monsters and places to go and paths etc etc, then at least that makes the run back to your group more interesting and sometimes fun.  During battles it will be a hindrance if you get wiped, but that just means you gotta bring your A game.

Regardless, good update, still stoked for live :)!

Pretty sure they are referring to VIP when they said that. One VIP token is good for one Month of VIP game time.

Pretty sure they are referring to VIP when they said that. One VIP token is good for one Month of VIP game time.

That's what I thought, but it got me thinking maybe they had something else in mind as well.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

interesting Q and A this month, enjoyed it.

great to remember you have so many things going on in the background and planned - hard to always remember that from week to week playtesting.

re: the card............ever hard of a magic relic called a "pen...cil"?

Edited by Tinnis

A much better (more informative) Q&A than the past few.  Thanks for that.  I think they answered either 1 or 2 of the huge pile of campaign questions I had (the summoning one in particular stands out).  Maybe it's just too soon for them to be talking about that, given there's now another milestone in place before campaigns.

Bigger HD with resources and a more varied environment (ponds, rivers (even if no swimming - bridges would be good choke points)) would be cool.

I am very glad they won't have summoning.  That makes a huge difference in terms of attackers vs defenders in a siege.  If the attackers have to come from a long ways away instead of being summoned right back when they die, sieges become a lot harder for the attackers (and they should be).

I still have dozens and dozens of unanswered questions, but this Q&A made me feel a lot better about the direction they're going with development.