Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Supreeme

Newsletter slightly broken

I just got the newsletter e-mail and it seems to be a bit broken.

njT7Ko9.png

It looks like the text color for the descriptions and the titles is wrong (the titles are completely invisible, due to having the same color as the background), and the link to Caldera was also messed up. It's an invalid url:

http://%20http//community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/8342-caldera-eu-playing-with-fire/

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us now!

Thanks for posting about this, Supreeme. I was actually about to start a thread on it myself. 

I also had a problem viewing the email when it hit my Inbox. I went back to check on the original template and it looked fine. Did a quick survey around the office and no one else seems to be having the problem that you and I are. (I've gotten one Support ticket about it, too.) 

Would you mind telling me what email service you use? And, if you tried to view the newsletter in a browser and it was still bjorked, what OS and browser are you using? 

(P.S. I'll rerun the Caldera spotlight next week. Sorry for the bad link.)

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

That screenshot is from Gmail on the latest version of Firefox on Windows 10. I also have similar formatting issues when viewing the mail in the gmail app on my Android phone (titles are now slightly visible, but descriptions are now gone). Other guild members have reported similar issues. Should I ask them to post specs here too?

Edit: it looks fine when I open the mail in Thunderbird. No formatting issues there.

Edited by Supreeme

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us now!

If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who had trouble with it. That will help us know how many were affected and look for any common denominators. 

I knew the newsletter was broken the moment when they didnt put cookies into it and send them per real mail    :o

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Would you mind telling me what email service you use? And, if you tried to view the newsletter in a browser and it was still bjorked, what OS and browser are you using? 

(P.S. I'll rerun the Caldera spotlight next week. Sorry for the bad link.)

The rerun is appreciated, thank you!

Email looks bad for me as well in Gmail and Chrome Version 51.0.2704.84 m (64-bit), Windows 10 64-bit.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Mine doesn't look the same as Supreeme's, but it doesn't look great either. Purple text on black background.

It looks like this for me in Gmail in browser on Chrome on Windows 7. Looks basically the same on Firefox and IE on the same system.

I'm currently sitting at a computer that is shared with others, not sure if someone changed link text color defaults or something.

wj2ohfL.png

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

No issues when opened on my email ap on my iPhone.

Figures. That's the first time I haven't heard a complaint about it being wonky on an iPhone when it's working perfectly well for everyone else on the planet. *laughing through my tears*

It's gotta be an issue on MailChimp's end. I'm drafting up a sternly worded (but polite) email to them now. 

No issues when opened on my email ap on my iPhone.

Figures. That's the first time I haven't heard a complaint about it being wonky on an iPhone when it's working perfectly well for everyone else on the planet. *laughing through my tears*

It's gotta be an issue on MailChimp's end. I'm drafting up a sternly worded (but polite) email to them now.

never fear! messed up on my iOS device! (latest version) - in different ways depending on if i use default mail app or gmail specific app) http://imgur.com/a/Hc18u

also messed up via android (latest version) gmail app

also observed via windows 10 - google chrome, firefox and opera.

all gmail

it was all fine and happy via outlook 2010 however! (because why the hell not......everyone uses that these days! ¬_¬)

fun fun computers

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Looks fine on my end on the iPhone 6 via the default mail app. Can't log into gmail at work, though to see how it looks via computer, though.

In their defense, every email program works differently and it's very hard to get a newsletter to look the same everywhere. And formatting in general is often difficult just by itself. I do emarketing all day myself and this stuff is a nightmare for folks like us. :\

Edited by Leiloni

This is the first time we've had a problem like this. When mistakes were made in the past, it was something I did wrong. Considering how weird this week has been, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case again, but from what we're seeing there is no reason why this email should have been all bjorked up like it was for some users while others could view it just fine. 

I've contacted MailChimp. We'll see what they say. 

Thanks to everyone who's helped us gather information about this issue. 

The reason our people jumped on this so fast is mainly because of our guild spotlight being broken as well. As you understand we were looking forward to see our guild in the newsletter and then it didn't work.  :(

Pann was quick to apologize and offered to fix it next week. So all is good! We're here to help test and the newsletter is just another thing! :lol:

Don't blame yourself too much Pann, newsletters are a major pain to handle.  :mellow:

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Update: I heard back from MailChimp. They said that there was a compatibility issue with the latest version of Chrome (which I just happen to use) and their team is working to fix it. Until they get it resolved, I'll be using IE to do the emails. 

MailChimp said to pass along their thanks to everyone who share info about their operating systems and browsers. It was helpful to the team trying to fix the problem.