Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zolaz

What do y'all consider a griefer?

What do you consider griefing?  Anyone who has played any MMOs know the type of player I am talking about.  Normally a self absorbed person only out looking for their cheap thrills by being mean to other people in the game.  

Eve has its scams and baiting people into 0.0 space.  You can kill people while they are out questing and leveling up in pvp areas.  Some games let you summon the player to a pvp area if you can find them in game.  

I was wondering how hard core the pvp is going to be. 

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Playing the game with the sole intention of exploiting game mechanics to make it unenjoyable for other players.

Almost this... but it needn't be one's sole intention.  Essentially, using the game in unintended ways to attempt to ruin the game for others.  I'd imagine it would be relatively difficult to grief in CF, but if it can be done it will be done. 

EDIT: spelin iz badd

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Many people consider camping to be griefing. Many players are going to be disappointed to know that will happen here.

Very rarely in Shadowbane did you get your backpack items back after being killed, and I would expect that same thing here in the outer CWs, with harsher death consequences in the inner CWs.   With that being said, I saw very little camping in SB, due to the way that death worked.  If you died within your city, then you spawned at a random TOL (tree of life); if you died outside your city, then you died at your bound TOL.  This made it almost impossible to really be camped in the game.  I'm curious how the respawn mechanics will work in CF.

I would agree though that a lot of deaths in or near the last vicinity you died could be common.

lUvvzPy.png

I would agree though that a lot of deaths in or near the last vicinity you died could be common.

That is why you have more than one account.  Go log onto one of your spies and wait an hour or so for the campers to go away.  Your spy needs some time in game any ways.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Griefing honestly varies by game. In some games, you could sabotage a players base, group, etc whether it be from in-game exploits, betrayal or hacks. Griefing can also be someone getting mad and ruining relationships between guilds and the members within, a sower of discord.

Griefing = doing something for the soul purpouse of ruining some one elses play experience

That's what I always thought, too, but considering that some people are most sensitive than others prevents it from being a steadfast definition. Someone can be staying well within the lines of 'legal' gameplay but their behavior is stealing someone else's joy. Is that still griefing?

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Playing the game with the sole intention of exploiting game mechanics to make it unenjoyable for other players.

This. It's when a player is exploiting mechanics to cause others issue that i consider it truely griefing.

An example in crowfall might be players in a faction-based campaign joining a faction to spy on it's players for another faction. Following around the members of their faction and relaying locations to members of another faction. 

Has to be defined within the contexts of a specific game. I never saw any problems in SB, for instance, around camping people's cities or killing them repeatedly - annoying but actually the purpose of the game.  Maybe the closest was swimming to noob island and taking all the mobs while looking for low stat runes?  

No griefing, but plenty of hacking and dupes.  But I do not see cheating == griefing. For Crowfall, nothing should be considered griefing, IMO.  But a lot of attention needs to be paid to cheating & circumventing rules (handshake victories outside of the game mechanics, planned forfeiture, etc.)

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

This. It's when a player is exploiting mechanics to cause others issue that i consider it truely griefing.

An example in crowfall might be players in a faction-based campaign joining a faction to spy on it's players for another faction. Following around the members of their faction and relaying locations to members of another faction. 

That's not griefing, that's just politics ;)

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

That's what I always thought, too, but considering that some people are most sensitive than others prevents it from being a steadfast definition. Someone can be staying well within the lines of 'legal' gameplay but their behavior is stealing someone else's joy. Is that still griefing?

The victim doesnt matter at all. Its the intent of the griefer.

I kill you 100 times and spawn camp you because i get something like xp or gold etc. my main intent wasnt to ruin your game experience, but it happened, too bad. (After i get enough xp/gold what ever i origionally wanted, then it turns into griefing when i stick around and my intent goes from making xp to making you mad)

Im a lvl 1 and you 1 shot me.... But i keep attacking you over and over and over and over and over and over and over just to annoy you, griefing

Imo.

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

That's not griefing, that's just politics ;)

In a guild or free for all setting yes but not in a setting that is supposed to be forcing teams. With no way to effectively remove spies i think it becomes an exploitation of mechanics.

In a guild or free for all setting yes but not in a setting that is supposed to be forcing teams. With no way to effectively remove spies i think it becomes an exploitation of mechanics.

I saw a similar argument on GW2's WvW forum some time ago. People could guest on other servers  for spying, but I don't think it actually became a problem, but I don't WvW, so IDK 

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

for me personally the best example of griefing was the feign death ability of the monk in EQ :

you could pull a train of mobs and then FD next to another player / group with the sole intent of annoying the other party.

Though it wasn't risk free, your FD could fail, depending on your lvl vs the mobs level it could be fatal to yourself. But doing it in low level zones running around creating trains and getting others killed repeatedly is the best definition I can come up with.

As to how an individual experiences it, it doesn't so much depend on your sensitivity level as to the amount of time you have available to play in my opinion.

If you have a lot of time and alts etc, you can simply log to another char if someone annoys you. If you are more of a casual player, constantly getting trained on your 1 toon you play during that 1 hour play time window you have will obviously influence your experience a lot more.

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

Yes, griefing is intentionally ruining someones game experience. But griefing only becomes a punishable offense, in my opinion, if it occurs outside the rules of the game like exploiting a bug or hacking. Yes, I want to ruin your game experience. I want you to lose. I want to take everything you have. But, I also expect you want to do the same to me. And if you end up getting killed over and over by the same unpleasant person cause he finds it funny, well, thats what PvP games are about.

A game with risk includes people who are going to try and knock you down over and over.

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg