Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caenth

Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord

I will not comment on the gameplay/combat (Okay, I will: I think it sucks), but looking at the siege equipment and castle layout and structure I think it has some nice ideas that I would like to see in Crowfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObwq1WaxQ8

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I actually think the sword fighting and archery are the most lame things in this video. It looks so boring and slow.

ZCcquVD.png

Real life is boring and slow, and Mount and Blade is trying to have realistic combat. We must blame the IRL ^^

Hate to burst your bubble, but combat and sieges weren't even close to this back in the Dark Ages. What we view as realistic is just another fantasy really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1EHbWTbFU

ZCcquVD.png

Oh look, real life physics is actually good in a videogame? Who would have guessed.....

There's a difference between arguing they don't work in a game and arguing they don't fit in a particular game.

Just a question, did they lay ladders right outside of the keep?... It's like "yup, i'm just gonna lay some ladders here, you can use them and try to climb up if you get close enough muahahaha"

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

There's a difference between arguing they don't work in a game and arguing they don't fit in a particular game.

Bullet drop, friendly fire and whatever else fit perfectly in this game (crowfall).

It's either them pussying out or them being unable to pull it off.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Bullet drop, friendly fire and whatever else fit perfectly in this game (crowfall).

It's either them pussying out or them being unable to pull it off.

I can understand them not having bullet drop on ranged classes. Not only would you have to account for the drop, but you would also need to take into account the travel time of the arrow, which would cause 90% of arrows to miss unless you were fighting a turret or were in melee, defeating the purpose of being at range

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I can understand them not having bullet drop on ranged classes. Not only would you have to account for the drop, but you would also need to take into account the travel time of the arrow, which would cause 90% of arrows to miss unless you were fighting a turret or were in melee, defeating the purpose of being at range

From 0 to 40 meters, the drop wouldn't impact gameplay much and at +40 m it can't be worse than what we got now (100% miss).

Edited by courant101

If this is like all the other M&B games it's a cool indie platform with an amazing mod community....the combat will be very clunky (Crowfall 1.0 clunky) and the multilayer will be instanced maxed for 32 to 64 players with a handful of 100+ (such as for M&B: Napoleonic Wars).

Pulling off physics is a single player or small multilayer game is nothing new...doing in a MMO is novel. Whether ACE made a good decision is really for another thread.

Edited by angelmar

I have never found the combat in M&B to be clunky. Challenging perhaps but with good latency it was always quite good in my opinion.

My dream MMO has always been a combination of Shadowbane and Mount and Blade. I am not entirely feeling Crowfall's art style, have always preferred a more realistic look, and M&B is very good when it comes to how it looks. I don't know how it would work with 500 people in a battle but at the 64-126 level it's not bad.

Bannerlord is going to be amazing, and if the mod aspect is as good as it has been for M&B thus far, an SB-style persistent world where politics, territory control and large-scale strategy is entirely possible and extremely exciting. We shall see.

What i like most about M&B series is that they fully rely on dynamic AI system with right tone of randominazation, making it a fully living world, where each commander acts by their own intelligence and makes mostly logical decisions. Although beginning of the game is usually same, it  gets really interesting after 20 hours where betrayals / faction chances happen and maps initial formation starts chancing. The game has incredibly long playability , and its only bound to increase with Bannerlord with brand new tech.

I like this type of combat.  Sure, it isn't flashy, it doesn't have a lot of options and you don't feel like a superhero (I really don't want to play a superhero in every game)--but, because it mimics a level of realism (it is not realistic, as some have stated) it can be very immersive.  Positioning and timing become very important as oppose to shooter twitch and rotation.  Being a MMO guy, I only hope that GV, which has copied this type of combat, will get it all worked out.

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Real life is boring and slow, and Mount and Blade is trying to have realistic combat. We must blame the IRL ^^

I think the problem with realistic games feeling slow and mundane are mostly caused by trying to make gameplay impractically manual. It's not necessary to make a player choose his swing and block angle like For Honor, or fire with a cross hair.

By creating approximations which appear real but operate fundamental stuff automatically, you can increase the number of exotic behaviors.

You wouldn't make a player press two different keys alternately to take steps with the right and left leg, and you wouldn't create a three key sequence to govern the rotation of your body during a sword swing, if certain features were adapted, you could get flashier looking mounted archery and jousts, or realistically deep sword play.

The shortcoming lies in trying to tie complex controls to basic behaviors. Just because the gameplay looks realistic, doesn't mean the controllers need to be barren.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P