Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with building PC

Smetak

Hi guys,
I m going to build a PC this summer and I would like to hear some opinions. I m aiming to play Crowfall on 1900x1080 on something like medium/low setting. I was thinking about I3 6100, Nvidia 950gtx, 8gb RAM. Do you think it will be enough or should I invest more money?

Hi guys,

I m going to build a PC this summer and I would like to hear some opinions. I m aiming to play Crowfall on 1900x1080 on something like medium/low setting. I was thinking about I3 6100, Nvidia 950gtx, 8gb RAM. Do you think it will be enough or should I invest more money?

i'd personally recommend waiting until later in the year if you are able to do so.

performance is poor at the moment irrespective of computer specs so very hard to recommend.

if you can I'd wait until we reach near the beta stage of optimisation and possibly official recommended specs to reflect that.

the GPU and RAM will probably be okay but unsure of that i3 CPU and spec. again don't take anything i'm saying as a recommendation, others might know better.

Edited by Tinnis

p.s. here are the current recommended minimum specs for this stage of testing

[from pann 26th may]

Recommended minimum specs: 

Dual CPU, Intel I-5 3.0 GHz or better processor
8 GB of system RAM
64 bit Microsoft Windows OS, 7.0 or higher
2 GB of dedicated VRAM in a 3D Card that is compatible with Shader 5.0
GForce 600 series or better, AMD Radeon HD 6970 or better
DirectX 11

I know that nobody knows excatly what will be, all I want is opinions. I saw that recommended minimum spec and choose GPU and CPU with them in head but I have no clue how much take them. Are they higher then they will be at release since there will be a lot of optimization or are they lower since there will be more players and stuff on screen?  I will definitely wait two more months at least.

Hi guys,

The answer to this is always, yes! The more detailed question is how much can you or are willing to spend on your PC? Once we have that ball park figure we can help with some recommendations on parts. This is going to be an exciting time. Up grading is always fun! 

The answer to this is always, yes! The more detailed question is how much can you or are willing to spend on your PC? Once we have that ball park figure we can help with some recommendations on parts. This is going to be an exciting time. Up grading is always fun! 

Since I m not sure about different prices in different countries I will use hardware as example. The best equipment for the money i have is probably Intel Core I5-6600 and R9 380 4Giga the downside is that this will drain all of my finances and thats something I probably dont want to do since my only reason to buy desktop is to play Crowfall.

I recommend to wait for the new Polaris videocards from AMD.

The other graphic cards of AMD and Nvidia will get cheaper then.

Also maybe you should wait for the new Zen CPUs from AMD.

They seem to be good, much more closer to Intel again, but with much better price.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

also depends on what you have now and if you might actually get interested in playing other games.

I started playing/testing with an amd apu because it's cheap to create a base system without a discrete card, and I could play most games I'm interested in on it (and others on low qual). It also depends on how important stats etc are to you, amd surely won't score high there. But like others pointed out, waiting a bit longer might proove beneficial, you could either save up a bit more and go for a costier intel system or wait to see what new techs become available.

worst case you can buy an amd system to delay the purchase of a higher end graphics card till later, just don't hold high hopes for crossfire or something of the kind, I got a gforce 750 myself because it's cheap and power efficient. If you go this route, make sure to buy a powerfull (and decent) enough power supply so you have options to upgrade (research amp requirements of the card you envision). Also consider a cheap usb sound card (like a siberia steelseries) as personally I Always get plagued by crackling noises from the onboard.sound cards.

You might also want to save some money for a decent headset if you don't already own one. And possibly a monitor?

And this is a piece of advice others will prob hate me for, but I wouldn't invest to much money with the sole purpose of playing 1 game, which might not even be to your liking or expectations.

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

also depends on what you have now and if you might actually get interested in playing other games.

I started playing/testing with an amd apu because it's cheap to create a base system without a discrete card, and I could play most games I'm interested in on it (and others on low qual). It also depends on how important stats etc are to you, amd surely won't score high there. But like others pointed out, waiting a bit longer might proove beneficial, you could either save up a bit more and go for a costier intel system or wait to see what new techs become available.

worst case you can buy an amd system to delay the purchase of a higher end graphics card till later, just don't hold high hopes for crossfire or something of the kind, I got a gforce 750 myself because it's cheap and power efficient. If you go this route, make sure to buy a powerfull (and decent) enough power supply so you have options to upgrade (research amp requirements of the card you envision). Also consider a cheap usb sound card (like a siberia steelseries) as personally I Always get plagued by crackling noises from the onboard.sound cards.

You might also want to save some money for a decent headset if you don't already own one. And possibly a monitor?

And this is a piece of advice others will prob hate me for, but I wouldn't invest to much money with the sole purpose of playing 1 game, which might not even be to your liking or expectations.

I have headphones and monitor. Mayby I expressd myself badly. I m playing other games but all of them i can play on my laptop so I m buying a desktop so I can play them more comfortably, but since all of them are older games (CS GO, DayZ) I m pretty sure that i can handle them with I3 6100 and even with something like gtx 750ti with no problem.

There is no upcoming title that I m interested in except of Crowfall so thats why I m here and trying to get informations about how much more should I invest to my PC so I can play this game and how much should I save for this during the summer.

As I said earlier I dont mind playing on low details since I m used to it. I will definitely wait till the Polaris card come out as Raven advised.

And sorry for my english it got kind of rusty from not using written form since high school. 

Edited by Smetak

no need for apologies, just trying to help out.

I checked some things meanwhile, meant to post earlier an edit but the site seemed down. I noticed amd has an a10 cpu for 75 bucks (X4 something). Add a gtx750 to it and you have a desktop that will run quite a lot of games, be power efficient (and cheaper) then a more high end pc.

My experience playing CF so far, graphic quality doesn't impact performance so much as reducing the resolution does (something that amazed me to) at this stage of testing, so you understand why we all feel it's dangerous to give any advice at this stage... Then I watched some streams and noticed not many get better performance then me so far (yes I know streaming eats up power to)

So if I were you and I really wanted a desktop this summer I'd go for a cheap amd cpu with some gfx card that isn't a complete power hog, put in an ssd for operating system and games, and ride that wave untill the next budget cpu / gpu combo comes out. And unless you want to play some very demanding fps games, it should be enough, though you won't play all games on high quality. But to me, the extra money to achieve that just isn't worth it.

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

I have headphones and monitor. Mayby I expressd myself badly. I m playing other games but all of them i can play on my laptop so I m buying a desktop so I can play them more comfortably, but since all of them are older games (CS GO, DayZ) I m pretty sure that i can handle them with I3 6100 and even with something like gtx 750ti with no problem.

There is no upcoming title that I m interested in except of Crowfall so thats why I m here and trying to get informations about how much more should I invest to my PC so I can play this game and how much should I save for this during the summer.

As I said earlier I dont mind playing on low details since I m used to it. I will definitely wait till the Polaris card come out as Raven advised.

And sorry for my english it got kind of rusty from not using written form since high school. 

It's all good! 

If the primary reason to upgrade is for an MMO than a beefy CPU is where I'd push more money towards. Graphics make things pretty but you'll run into slow downs from CPU/RAM mainly.  So taking the current minimum specs to test as a starting point:

Recommended minimum specs: 

• Dual CPU, Intel I-5 3.0 GHz or better processor
  • 8 GB of system RAM
  • 64 bit Microsoft Windows OS, 7.0 or higher
  • 2 GB of dedicated VRAM in a 3D Card that is compatible with Shader 5.0
  • GForce 600 series or better, AMD Radeon HD 6970 or better
  • DirectX 11

That i5 3GHz+ is where I would recommend you try to get the best you can afford. Along with that get a quality MB with pipelines that are fast enough to take full advantage of your RAM. 

Also when doing your research remember higher price does not equal better performance. I know of more than a few people that just bought the most expensive things they could find and over paid by like double!

Ok thanks a lot for your advices! So lets say I would give more money to CPU. In that case how much we are talking about? Like the minimum specs for testing is for 2 cores but if i go for 4 cores how strong it should be? I5 6400,I5 6500, i5 6600 (this one is little bit more then i want to pay) are viable option i could buy.

How much are you wanting to spend in what country? We can put together builds from there

Around 16 000 Kč in Czech Republic.

Yea I plan on waiting until the game is closer to release before I build a new rig. There's no point in starting the hardware depreciation cycle until the servers are up most of the time and we're actually playing something close to what the game is supposed to be.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered some new parts for my next build.

i5 6400 cpu

960 gtx turbo

8 gigs of ram

I will probably be upgrading the gpu once the 1080 goes down in price. Of course there will more than likely be a newer card by then