Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WilliamTell

Ranger Mobile Firing

Should Rangers be able to fire while moving?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rangers be able to fire while moving?

NO

but this statement does not mean that they cannot improve animations locks / animation speed and generally mobility just while not actively firing or casting.

ranger are currently in a bad place in terms of balance and comparative mobility but i do not think this is the solution.

I can stand by ACE's decision to make committing yourself to a power and positioning be important.

i'm sick of a lot of other games with way too floaty kiting combat with constant running, strafing and jumping.

thematically and mechanically LEGOLAS style archers on speed really really bother me.

e.g. this jerky fireworks of a 'ranger' in black desert online. no thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl9l70vL2UI

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I agree with Wiliam and Rikutatis....out of poor egoistic game-feeling. I'm pretty sure I'm spoiled by gw2, nevertheless my first CW test with confessor felt just so slow and jerky. I'm growing accustomed, yeah, but I would still like it if even one or two skills per ranged archetype would be castable while moving....

I mean, yes, tactics are good and all. But when I picture tactically positioned, still standing rangers, it's only while sieging or on a battlefield behind the squads of melee-fighters. But in a squirmish? Or caravan-robbery? After the initial suprise attack, it's damn inconvenient to have to stand still....

Oh but well...as mentioned, I think I'm spoiled xD

Edited by Akineko

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

Rangers don't need more mobility, Champion needs less...

I swear, why are they even handicapping flight if they are going to have giants bouncing around the battle like fleas?

But collision will be irrelevant, look forward to that :'D

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I really hope Ranger can move when trying to charge for an attack it is soo annoying having 3 melee people on me. Like theres no way a ranger can survive close range. His close range attacks aren't as efficient as his Range. There seriously needs to be a change in this - not just range but also melee.

I would like to see tech choices in this realm. How about adding a passive ability that allows the first ability to be cast while moving after swapping stances. This will promote good Rangers to use their full kit instead of just standing in the distance. Even if people just swapped stances to gain the effect, it would severely decrease their potential dos if they weren't striking between stance swaps.

This may not be the best solution but, it does feel like rangers are supposed to fill a medium range dps roll and right now they're just worse than a confessor at all ranges.

What if instead of adding kiting mechanics you have them more interrupts or slows via more trap skills.

custard no. I like that the Ranger has to remain stationary in order to shoot. It makes each shot a weighed and measured choice on the part of the player, rather than an afterthought.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

custard no. I like that the Ranger has to remain stationary in order to shoot. It makes each shot a weighed and measured choice on the part of the player, rather than an afterthought.

I agree, to be a good and useful player, Ranger has to do weighed and measured choice, as any other archetype.

Stationarity does not make "each shot a weighed and measured choice". Take for example  stationary  Machine Gun and moving Tank, who has to do most "weighed and measured choice" to shoot ?

As far as i understand psychology, "weighed and measured choice" mostly comes because of limitations. In Ranger case Charging time is a limitation factor for a shot.

And yes, you are right, position is important as well, but it's important for survivability and not as much as for "each shot " (if in range of course ;) )

Edited by Alarih

[sparrow]

I took part in my first play-test as a Ranger today. I just couldn't get used to (compared to other MMOs) not being able to fire on the move. I wanted to kite targets but had to stop moving and take aim. It seemed to stop the flow of the action.

I will get used to it but it doesn't feel 'quite right' not being able to fire on the move for a ranger.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

"Depth" is not the problem with ranger, they have plenty of that with two ability bars. 

Right now there are two games being played.

The melees are playing a game where they've been granted a lot of movement freedom.

The ranged are playing a game where they're little more than arrow/spell turrets. The ranger fairs worse in this game because it's less forgiving (harder to land projectile attacks, long ranged dash on a ~45s CD). The problem is survival in the game is associated with how well you can avoid/escape from getting death balled. Confessors get immolate and a long ranged dash. Druids get a whole slew of abilities to keep themselves alive. Rangers get a flimsy dodge roll, and an escape (on a 45s cool down, and on the 2nd bar).

I'm not sure what the solution is besides gimping everyone, or changing the way ranger functions (more mobility). I'd rather the latter than the former personally.

i'm sick of a lot of other games with way too floaty kiting combat with constant running, strafing and jumping.

That's called out maneuvering your opponent. I can do without circle strafe jumping (i.e. wow), but there are plenty of games that have high mobility and don't feel floaty, AND require plenty of tactical play and thinking. I think having people stand around like a chess piece and execute attack, not only feels worse, it looks archaic. 

Edited by helix

I voted yes, but I would expect certain attacks to be unavailable if moving . . . . whatever that might mean to ACE.

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Rangers rejoice, T.Blair said because of the root motion being added...

• Ranged is definitely going to need more mobility to keep distance from melee. This might take the form of root motion of their own, in the left right back directions and or even flat out movement control.
  •  

MOkvLlm.png

I agree with Wiliam and Rikutatis....out of poor egoistic game-feeling. I'm pretty sure I'm spoiled by gw2, nevertheless my first CW test with confessor felt just so slow and jerky. I'm growing accustomed, yeah, but I would still like it if even one or two skills per ranged archetype would be castable while moving....

I mean, yes, tactics are good and all. But when I picture tactically positioned, still standing rangers, it's only while sieging or on a battlefield behind the squads of melee-fighters. But in a squirmish? Or caravan-robbery? After the initial suprise attack, it's damn inconvenient to have to stand still....

Oh but well...as mentioned, I think I'm spoiled xD

This is depressing.

It reminds me of wives who grow "accustomed" to domestic abuse and say 'I was just spoiled by my last relationships. I'm getting used to this now. Its fine, really.'

No one should have to grow "accustomed" to sh*tty rooted combat, ranged or otherwise. Being able to move and shoot =/= BDO back-flip 360 no-scope headshots in mid air.  

aka honeybear

ranger need x2 faster casting on LMB but with lower dmg. enough

if he can hit while moving it will be OP (hes melee strong since 2-4k white hits with no weapons)

plus he will get stealth in future

do not create caster/ranger domination in this game!

my vote no. learn to aim and chose better position

Edited by makkon

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550