Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
siberain2

Anyone find the combo system Controling/Boring? Miss Freedom?

Like Age of Conan, DC Universe (Both failed games)

Does anyone find your not really playing the game but just following directions as spells " flash" telling you, you've spammed enough with one key and its time to use the next key which unlocks a new spell?

OR

Does anyone miss the combat from shadowbane? Where players chose what spells to use and when making the battlefield unpredictable? It was a sense of freedom allowing you to play how you liked, using spells at will when you wanted.

Just looking for opinions.

I would love to have 30-40 skills available for use; but unfortunately they are syncing skills with the hotbar tray.  We will be limited to 20 skills more than likely, where right now the ranger/druid are using 12 skills.

I did love the freedom of SB.

I would love to have 30-40 skills available for use; but unfortunately they are syncing skills with the hotbar tray.  We will be limited to 20 skills more than likely, where right now the ranger/druid are using 12 skills.

I did love the freedom of SB.

It sounds like Thomas Blair is settling on a very vanilla combat system.

Here's a theory, imagine a battlefield where say its 10vs10 with pretty much the same class make up. So basically everyone's going to be casting the same spell to build up to the same combo and whoever button mashes or has low latency will get the spell out first.

Shouldn't it be more like, 10vs10 and trying to figure out who's going to open with what spell and counter with another spell to offset their strategy so your strategy works?

I'm just saying Thomas Blair's combat system is easily predictable which unfortunately makes for boring game play.

I would have to agree, I would love to be able to open up with what ever spell that I want.

Example I don't want to mash a key X amount of times to get a stun off on someone.  Or having to go 3 deep in a combo to just get a debuff off.

I do miss the shadowbane powers system. While cookie cutters still existed and some people used basically 8 or less powers anyhow, the UI customization was great.

People keep thinking disciplines are going to add to the characters, but where? On another tray? So you can spend your entire battle sifting through trays? Meh.

At least in GW and similar games you could customize your own tray.

I don't know if the Devs do read this but Crowfall just feels rather bland.. the combat system just feels lacking... like others said here... everyone will just be using the same thing for the same result... I'm mean these are the creators of Shadowbane.. you had one of the best combat systems... instead of reinventing the wheel why not just make that combat system better??

For people who want first person mode, make them use the current system and for those who want the traditional system well you have Shadowbane... probably one of the best MMO's of its time and just create something better off that...

power variety, customisation and predictability are a long term concern.

Depends on what promotions and disciplines bring to the mix, but as you say there are limits.

Frankly in this department I look to Camelot unchained.

3 realms with unique non mirrored classes firstly add a nice variety

Then the system:

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/bsc-design-docs/combat/

Players literally craft all their own abilities: nothing except the core components of an ability are premade. Epitome of “choices matter”
Four different categories of components, many with their own customization, yields huge number of possible combinations
Players can create abilities to match their preferred playstyle, not just play the classes that we create for them
System supports hard interrupts, positionals, reactionaries, and other staples of hard-core combat systems

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/bsc-design-docs/magic-system/

Each class builds their own customsed powers
(e.g. the effect and how it is delivered etc)

Powers can then interact with other powers for additional and unpredictable effects

Some examples:
Water + Frost = Ice
Water + Frost + Storm = Ice Storm
Ice Storm + Wind = Amplified Ice Storm
Fire + Wind = Fire Blast
Fire + Water + Wall + Wind = Moving Steam Cloud
Spells + additional power can modify results
Added duration, range, etc.
Spells + additional reagents can also modify the spell
Ice Storm + Diamond Infusion = Increased damage of the spell
Ice Storm + Nightshade = Poison effect added to spell
Spells are modified based on type such as Fire Blast + Water Wall = Steam Cloud
Spell interactions have different outcomes based on ally or enemy use
Wind Blast + Ally Fire Ball = Fire Ball Speed and Damage increase
Wind Blast + Enemy Fire Ball = Deflect Fire Ball

E.g.

Casting too many spells in an area may cause Veilstorms to appear
Major Veilstorms (such as a Malevolence) are rare, but smaller ones are common in areas of intense fighting
Small Veilstorms have varying effects on magic used in the area

External effects

Many outside factors can affect the casting of spells, such as:
Various ley lines throughout the world
Weather
Seasons
Day/night

Edited by Tinnis

power variety, customisation and predictability are a long term concern.

Depends on what promotions and disciplines bring to the mix, but as you say there are limits.

Frankly in this department I look to Camelot unchained.

Then the system:

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/bsc-design-docs/magic-system/

Each class builds their own customsed powers

(e.g. the effect and how it is delivered etc)

Powers can then interact with other powers for additional and unpredictable effects

Some examples:

Water + Frost = Ice

Water + Frost + Storm = Ice Storm

Ice Storm + Wind = Amplified Ice Storm

Fire + Wind = Fire Blast

Fire + Water + Wall + Wind = Moving Steam Cloud

Spells + additional power can modify results

Added duration, range, etc.

Spells + additional reagents can also modify the spell

Ice Storm + Diamond Infusion = Increased damage of the spell

Ice Storm + Nightshade = Poison effect added to spell

Spells are modified based on type such as Fire Blast + Water Wall = Steam Cloud

Spell interactions have different outcomes based on ally or enemy use

Wind Blast + Ally Fire Ball = Fire Ball Speed and Damage increase

Wind Blast + Enemy Fire Ball = Deflect Fire Ball

E.g.

Casting too many spells in an area may cause Veilstorms to appear

Major Veilstorms (such as a Malevolence) are rare, but smaller ones are common in areas of intense fighting

Small Veilstorms have varying effects on magic used in the area

External effects

Many outside factors can affect the casting of spells, such as:

Various ley lines throughout the world

Weather

Seasons

Day/night

That sounds genious!! Almost makes me want to dive into it and try it lol

combo system is nice and all but is this Mortal Kombat? I mean if thats the vision they have... i'll be completely disappointed.... i just dont understand how they had Shadowbane which was so successfull and all they would need to do is making a MMO based off that... but all Crowfall looks like is Darkfall 2.0 which  i might add did not do very well.... I mean all you need to do is take Shadowbane and take World of Warcraft... the two most successfull MMO's ... they were succesfull for variety of reasons...

combo system is nice and all but is this Mortal Kombat? I mean if thats the vision they have... i'll be completely disappointed.... i just dont understand how they had Shadowbane which was so successfull and all they would need to do is making a MMO based off that... but all Crowfall looks like is Darkfall 2.0 which  i might add did not do very well.... I mean all you need to do is take Shadowbane and take World of Warcraft... the two most successfull MMO's ... they were succesfull for variety of reasons...

Shadowbane wasn't really successful :P

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think it would be cool if you could customize your combos to a certain extent, kinda like skill chains in TERA or similar games. 

But I _really_ wouldn't want Crowfall to have the same tab target combat as Shadowbane. Or any tab target combat, period. That's one of the main reasons why I have backed Crowfall and not CU (plus monthly sub). 

Edited by Rikutatis

more detail on this point which i didn't specify how important it is.

you'll never fight an enemy that is the exact same class as you. (e.g. knight vs knight wet noodle fight)

you realm will have unique versions of each 'class type'

e.g. heavy fighter, healer etc with their own pros and cons and gameplay power options and your realm will have unique combinations, synergies and counters.

on top of this: choice of RACE for your classes as well...

see an example of their non mirrored and frankly awesome class design here (warning GIANT IMAGE..):

http://i.imgur.com/JxpQ3ip.jpg

to see realm race/class overviews see here

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/realms/

Edited by Tinnis

What we've seen so far is only a small part of what is planned, and what we have so far isn't final. Promotions and disciplines still need to be added, which will increase the number of abilities, and there will be another system by which powers can be modified/improved. Then there is armor, with enchants that will allow for further customization. Advantages and disadvantages. What we're seeing now is only the tip of the iceberg.

Regarding combos, they are supposed to be predictable. That's the point. You see the ability that comes before the stun and know that the stun is probably coming next, giving you time to do something about it. If the stun wasn't behind another ability, then it would just be a matter of who can stun whom first. With animation locks, there needs to be a window of opportunity to read and react to what the other player is doing. The combo system provides that.

Like Age of Conan, DC Universe (Both failed games)

Does anyone find your not really playing the game but just following directions as spells " flash" telling you, you've spammed enough with one key and its time to use the next key which unlocks a new spell?

OR

Does anyone miss the combat from shadowbane? Where players chose what spells to use and when making the battlefield unpredictable? It was a sense of freedom allowing you to play how you liked, using spells at will when you wanted.

Just looking for opinions.

Yeah I'm sure those games "failed" specifically due to a combo mechanic... :rolleyes:

Anyways its pretty much semantics, IMO. There is no less freedom in a combo system because regardless you're always waiting for cooldowns and status effects to do the next ability.

Besides this game is a more action combat, strategy based game, not a button mashing tabtarget game like OP seems to want so its also a matter of what fits and what doesn't.

In my opinion the most free combat system I ever saw in a mmo was FFXI. This is because the creators could introduce a unlimited amount of spells/abilities with the macro system that they used. However, FFXI was not made as a fast paced game. Most games now use hotbar slots to slot abilities which means as the game matures there can be less and less new abilities implemented, due to the needed space to put all of those abilities.

However, I really love the combo system because it can resolve some of these issues.  Some really cool stuff done with the combo system that they have in the future. One example, is having alternate combo trees, or even building your own combo trees for a specific skill. This means that one tree of combos could have multiple variations and depends on what the player picks for their first, second, and third combo abilities. Doing something like this ensures that they can add any number of abilties without having to worry about hotbars being cluttered etc.  Again, this would depend on how they actually map skills to the system that they have.

I really like the combo system, and glad it is there. Of course, other parts of combo do need some tweaking still.

I actually liked the combo system from age of conan and DCUO. If they went that way combat in general would feel significantly better, and I could justify why there is so much animation lock in the game to other people when trying to convince them to try it out.

Right now the "combo" system exists only to reduce space on the power bar.

Edited by helix