Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Murder of Crows Live! Official question thread

Pann

“A Murder of Crows” is our video series spotlighting members of the Crowfall™ team. (Watch MoC episodes about Thomas Blair, Billy Garretsen and MrMike.) During the Crowfall Live! event next Monday, we’ll be doing a live version of “A Murder of Crows” with ArtCraft Co-Founders J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton plus Design Consultant Raph Koster.

Questions do not have to be limited to Crowfall-related topics only. Feel free to ask about past projects, career highs and lows, hobbies, etc. When posting your questions, please remember to begin with the initials of the dev team member the question is for: TC (J. Todd Coleman, Creative Director), GW (Gordon Walton, Executive Producer) or RK (Raph Koster, Design Consultant). 

Don't miss Crowfall Live! 8 am - 8 pm Central, Monday, June 27! 

TC - who is responsible for "damage splitting" and when will they be punished?!?! Seriously though, why damage splitting? In Shadowbane synching up AoE's could really turn the tide of a battle for a smaller coordinated group fighting against a larger, less coordinated, zerg. Why change that in Crowfall? How does the game benefit from damage splitting? 

Edited by blazzen

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Guild

My question for Raph is "How good is the crafting system on a scale of 1-10 and if less than 10 why?"

For what game? Shadowbane? World of Warcraft? Star Wars: The Old Republic? (Not a hit on you, but I imagine Raph has worked on a lot of games that had crafting, so not specifying what game could confuse Raph, I would be confused at least)

JTC- (Unless specified sometime else during the livestream) Are you guys at the liberty of specifying in what order future Archetypes and character creation systems will come online, and if so will you pretty please tell us that order? :D

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I think people are missing the point of MoC. It's biographical. There will be opportunities for Crowfall questions during the livesteam, too, but that's not what we'll be talking about during the MoC Live segment. 

I think people are missing the point of MoC. It's biographical. There will be opportunities for Crowfall questions during the livesteam, too, but that's not what we'll be talking about during the MoC Live segment. 

Oh, if my question is not biographical enough, let me change it.

JTC/GW/RK (All 3): On all the games you all have worked on, which one would you say was the most fun, frustrating, hair-raising, and exciting experience.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Any/All: You guys have collectively built some of the best MMOs ever made - and thank you for that, by the way.

But, given your rather unique viewpoint, where do you see the MMO genera heading over the next 5-10 years? Will VR be a thing? Will we continue to see systems dumbing down? Will the LoL-style preference for 'pre-made' characters become more prevalent?

I guess that's several questions... Feel free to consider the additional ones as prompts. :)

Alright then.

So this is for Mr Raph Koster, what is your grandest triumph and biggest regret regarding your game design career? 

I guess Todd and Tyrant can answer this as well ;)

Edited by Keaggan

As a game master, have there been any players who you just didnt like?  You know, they did something through their in game actions or something that wasnt against ToS but just irked you?  For instance, maybe you had to deal with a player and they gave you the one fingered Ranger salute.  You are upset but the player goes on to explain it is a salutary gesture of respect and then gives it to you again with a big grin.

For all 3: Has there ever been a point when playing an MMO where you've thought "It can't get any better (or worse) than this."

JC: When designing the concepts of these Archetypes, which one turned out to be your personal favorite?

GW: If you plan to play Crowfall, I think the whole community can assume that you wont be on the battlefield much, do you plan to take up Crafting? If so which one most intrigues you?

RK: In terms of Crowfall, what was your greatest challenge thus far?

OS_Sig3.png

to GW and RK

In the past year we were subject to Data Gathering. I'm curious why you asked us which MMOS we compared to other MMOS,, and which MMO we compared closest to Crowfall. Will that data ever be released? and how does that change or not change your design philosophy for this game? 

to TC

In games past did you frequently change or modify  character abilities after release? How do you think those changes were handled by the players as a whole? Using one positive and one negative example.

How do you think the community will end up?

E.g. many trolls / griefers i.e. hostile to newer players like DayZ. Many solo players? Few really big guilds or many small to medium size guilds?

Favorite type of Pizza and why?

Favorite Archtype and why?

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I have some question(s) regarding the procedurally generated worlds. Feel free to shorten the question and break it down in its simplest form and just give an overview of what to expect regarding these four geographical features.

Terrain: Will we have mountains? And when I mean mountains I'm talking about tall mountains that might take 5 to 10 minutes to climb?  Will there be lakes on the map? Can we expect to have islands within those bodies of water? Is there a possibility for vast canyons? (Haven't really seen that pulled off before)

Biomes: This might have been discussed before and they might not be in at launch. But is this something you are looking at in the future? Different biomes might be more rich in particular types of materials. 

Landmarks: Are you planning to put landmarks into the game? Just as an example lets say you have a huge tower that you can see far off into the horizon. It will be randomly placed when the map is generated and players can use those to landmarks to help navigate the vast world

Size: Are there plans to have different sizes of maps? I've played games where smaller maps procedural maps were used to encourage more player vs player interactions. Though some people prefer (me) vast worlds that can takes hours to traverse. Can you give us an idea of the map size we might be seeing to start off with?

BONUS QUESTION: I want a moat, can we have moats? Please circle the available answer I have provided: "Yes" | "Maybe"

Edited by Tark