Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My perfect game. Will it ever exist?

Gromschlog

I have a dream, how i would want my perfect mmo to be:

The gameworld has to be an interactive one, so with voxel or similar systems.
And not only the buildings, but also landscape, with abilities to dig holes and tunnels and caves
and it should be even the water which follows those voxels and if you let water flow through something,
it should take things with it which are in the way. If you push a big round stone uphill and stop pushing,
it would roll down again and crush whatever comes in its way, if its less strong than the stone...

The world would be big and filled with NPCs who have scripts like being merchant or landlord or peasant or slave or whatever which determine, what they do the whole time.
These scripts should be good enough to let the NPCs survive without interaction of players, still players should be able to interact both in good and bad ways with them
for example by burning their crops or attacking their village versus helping them with their work or getting payed for fighting off danger.

The basic fighting skills would be the same for each player and one could change which type of fighter one is every now and then with the abilities to be:
tank, healer, sneakysingletargetmeleedamage, meleeaoedamage, rangedphysicaldamage, magician(rangedtacticaldamage)
and something like arcane mage with impulses to fight with voxels and create bubbles/walls etc (optional class as its hard to be balanced)

For fighting, there would be quite simple attributes and fight system would be skill-based without random effects:
Every player would have some Lifepoints, some kind of Energy and thats it.
Energy would be used for stuff like blocking, running, jumping to evade attacks and special attacks.
All other skills would just have cooldowns depending on their power.
Attributes on equipment would be +life, +damage, +mitigation, +armourpenetration, +fightingspeed, +runningspeed, +regeneration
and those would all be multiplicative with each other and all buffs or debuffs
(so +1% damage would always be +1% damage no matter how much you already have and not just +1% base damage)
this is quite easy to do and solves lots of problems by itself (like buffs getting worse with better equipment or players getting immune because of stacking +mitigation or other problems some games have sometimes)
channeled skills would be rooted, all other skills would be useable while moving for full effect, although moving would lead to aiming penalty (like in counterstrike).

Crafting would be similar to what we know about Crowfall. Simple recipes, where the quality of reagents determines the exact result.

High Quality reagents would be available by loot strong enemies, via instances or through gathering in dangerous areas.

Instances would have a relatively simple tier1, where tier1 ingredients drop. there should be lots of tiers, where from each tier to the next all that changes is,
that all enemies get more life, more damage, more mitigation, more speed and more regeneration, where the strength of enemies rises MUCH faster than the increase of strength,
players can achieve by upgrading their equipment with ingredients of tierX gotten in instance of tierX. As long as tier1 is balanced quite well to be doable for the common player, this leads to a hard enough way for high tier reagents
(many players will even say its impossible to beat the highest tiers and if someone still beats them, one can simply add more tiers).

On death, players would respawn naked somewhere and if they want their stuff back, get back to their corpse.
After a certain time (lets just call it 15Min), other players can just loot their corpse (equipment and inventory).
Players would have a vault somehow, where they can store things that can't be stolen.

Players could get money by selling stuff to merchants, working for NPCs, selling stuff to other players or just stealing from (maybe dead) NPCs.
If players behave bad versus NPCs (for example stealing, killing), there would be a bounty on them made by the local sherriff/king,
whatever and other players could hunt them and the money or other values would be taken off those bad players personal vaults or something like that if they get caught.
In addition, if you have a bounty higher than a small amount, players could immediately loot your corpse, and not only after a certain amount of time.

I don't know about the setting, but the 'aim' of the game would be to get famous or be ruler over some landscape etc.

What do you think? How many years will I have to wait for a game like this? Can it even be done within the next 30 years?
Would you like it?

Back when I started playing MMO's (UO and Ryzom) I would have loved a game like this. But nowadays it wouldn't interest me very much, no. Unless it had an extremely rich and interesting lore, setting and atmosphere. Chronicles of Elyria is aiming to have most of the features you described there though, with the exception of the interactive voxel world (honestly that's probably the hardest part to pull off). Whether they manage to pull it off is a different story though, and many people have raised doubts and concerns about their ambitions. 

My almost perfect MMO is Star Citizen.

EverQuest Next was my first almost perfect MMO.

But there are none new big MMOs being made anymore today.

Despite it being the genre with the most potential, but its too much of a risk for the stupid game industry, which only is interested in money.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

In many ways, CF hits on many of the aspects I'd hoped for in an MMORPG.  I used to think I would really like a game where you were deposited with other players in an unknown land that was pure sandbox.  A place where you'd have to work together or die.  CF has a version of this.  I used to think that I'd really like to play an MMO where you played a part in a large battle force, like an RTS though you played a hero unit in an MMO setting.  CF has a version of this, too.  Finally, I really wanted an MMO where the whole experience was the "end game".  Again, CF is trying to deliver here.  

These three things should make many MMORPG enthusiasts very excited for CF.   

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Yea, I would also say that CF is the only MMO under development I'm looking forward to at the moment. PVP sandbox where you can build anywhere and destroy anything, with deep crafting and (hopefully) meaningful objectives that encourage strategy and good coordination, not only showing up with the biggest army. Action combat with collision detection and friendly fire. If they manage to pull it all off (or at least most of it) with good server performance, it'll be amazing. 

Since this thread is about the perfect MMO for me, I suppose to make it "perfect" I would put Dragon's Dogma combat on CF (my favorite hack n' slash combat system) and make the lore and setting darker and more surreal, kinda like Dark Souls 3 or something like that. 

Yea, I would also say that CF is the only MMO under development I'm looking forward to at the moment. PVP sandbox where you can build anywhere and destroy anything, with deep crafting and (hopefully) meaningful objectives that encourage strategy and good coordination, not only showing up with the biggest army. Action combat with collision detection and friendly fire. If they manage to pull it all off (or at least most of it) with good server performance, it'll be amazing. 

Since this thread is about the perfect MMO for me, I suppose to make it "perfect" I would put Dragon's Dogma combat on CF (my favorite hack n' slash combat system) and make the lore and setting darker and more surreal, kinda like Dark Souls 3 or something like that. 

You can't really build anywhere in crowfall.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

CF isn't perfect (at least, for me), but it does more things that I've dreamed about for a MMORPG than I ever thought would actually be found in a game.   I enjoyed WoW, but that style of MMORPG has had its time, and the genre needs a return to some of the old ways that were somehow forgotten (along with new innovation).  CF is doing this, too.  

Speaking of perfect combat--I would still like to see an MMO pull of a Bushido Blade style combat.  Something more historical and realistic, though not bound to either historicity or realism.   

CF isn't perfect (at least, for me), but it does more things that I've dreamed about for a MMORPG than I ever thought would actually be found in a game.   I enjoyed WoW, but that style of MMORPG has had its time, and the genre needs a return to some of the old ways that were somehow forgotten (along with new innovation).  CF is doing this, too.  

Speaking of perfect combat--I would still like to see an MMO pull of a Bushido Blade style combat.  Something more historical and realistic, though not bound to either historicity or realism.   

@ the first paragraph: I couldn't agree more.

You can't really build anywhere in crowfall.

Sorry, I guess "anywhere" was a bit of an exaggeration. But freedom to build in different places as opposed to the preset keeps on most siege MMO's. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really think specific features make a perfect game, just like I enjoy a racing game, and a fighting game, but they don't have to be mixed for a satisfying experience, it's mostly about doing that kind of game well, and developing the features that belong in that game well enough to be enjoyable.

There are plenty of Zelda games that lack a variety of enjoyable features that would expand the gameplay, but they usually meet my expectations without more just on the depth of their quality.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

the perfect MMO will be different for every single player, hence if you want the perfect MMO for you (or the perfect any genre for that matter), you would have to make it yourself pretty much

Other things I'd like to see some day...

1. An Dwarves vs Elves based PvP sandbox with a dark, gritty, historical-esque setting (as low fantasy as a game could be with Dwarves, Elves, trolls, etc.).

2. A dragon based survival/PvP sandbox where you start as a little dragonling but could grow into a tyrannical wyrm if you survive.  You feed to grow, join with or fight against other dragons, eventually raid towns and cities to expand your territory and demand tribute to grow your treasure hoard.  

Edited by Regulus