Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Handies

What should the downtime be between campaigns?

Seems like a pretty easily solved problem. Lets say there are 8 CWs at launch that will last 3 months (may be others of differing length as well, but that's not relevant to this hypothetical). As the 3 month point approaches, they can simply stagger the opening of the new CWs:

CW1 - opens 3 days before the original CWs will end

CW2 - opens 2 days before the original CWs will end

CW3 - opens 1 day before the original CWs will end

CW4+5 - both open same day original CWs end

CW6 - opens 1 day after original CWs end

CW7 - opens 2 days after original CWs end

CW8 - opens 3 days after original CWs end

These are just examples, the days could be tweaked to whatever, but the point is it's not that difficult to give options to those who do and don't want a break between CWs. Then throw in the fact that there will be campaigns with different lengths, some of which you can reasonably expect would overlap with the ending time of other campaigns, and that players will be allowed to participate in more than one campaign at a time.

To me this just doesn't seem like something that will be a problem. I'm sure ACE already has, or will have, ideas about to handle this kind of stuff as well.

I've worked on a game that had a similar issue. Game worlds tended to last between 4 months and a year, so new ones needed to be put out regularly. The difficulty with that was figuring out the correct frequency for releasing new worlds. 100% uptime of fresh worlds was not possible with the player population we were working with, a problem that may occur for Crowfall as well.

The reason for this is that each world needs a minimum viable population at creation. In any game where players collect resources and build empires, time itself is a huge advantage. There are many reasons to think that a guild jumping into a campaign world on day 10 will be painfully behind the curve. Thus, there may be a very narrow window for joining a CW and being competitive within it.

Since you have to make sure there are a few thousand players ready to invest in a new campaign before you open the gates for the shiny new world, the big factors for determining how fast you can roll those worlds out are your active population of regular players, and the turnover rate for existing worlds (both how fast they are completed, and how quickly players on the losing end bail out midway in favor of a fresh start).

A constant barrage of poorly populated worlds isn't going to be fun for most players, so my personal preference is to stagger the releases carefully even if that means a week or two wait between CWs. However, I do think there should be something in place to scratch the itch, so to speak. Perhaps Artcraft could automate an endless cycle of mini-CWs meant to last under a day (with proportionately lower rewards you can reap, of course). No real empire building there, just a few big landmarks to fight over. It would be a good place for guilds to try out new tactics and stay sharp while waiting a reasonably short time for the next 'real' CW, and you still might get a shiny sword out of it too.

I've worked on a game that had a similar issue. Game worlds tended to last between 4 months and a year, so new ones needed to be put out regularly. The difficulty with that was figuring out the correct frequency for releasing new worlds. 100% uptime of fresh worlds was not possible with the player population we were working with, a problem that may occur for Crowfall as well.

The reason for this is that each world needs a minimum viable population at creation. In any game where players collect resources and build empires, time itself is a huge advantage. There are many reasons to think that a guild jumping into a campaign world on day 10 will be painfully behind the curve. Thus, there may be a very narrow window for joining a CW and being competitive within it.

Since you have to make sure there are a few thousand players ready to invest in a new campaign before you open the gates for the shiny new world, the big factors for determining how fast you can roll those worlds out are your active population of regular players, and the turnover rate for existing worlds (both how fast they are completed, and how quickly players on the losing end bail out midway in favor of a fresh start).

A constant barrage of poorly populated worlds isn't going to be fun for most players, so my personal preference is to stagger the releases carefully even if that means a week or two wait between CWs. However, I do think there should be something in place to scratch the itch, so to speak. Perhaps Artcraft could automate an endless cycle of mini-CWs meant to last under a day (with proportionately lower rewards you can reap, of course). No real empire building there, just a few big landmarks to fight over. It would be a good place for guilds to try out new tactics and stay sharp while waiting a reasonably short time for the next 'real' CW, and you still might get a shiny sword out of it too.

Holy custard! Someone actually understands where I am coming from... I already covered the more personal and guild/nation side. He covered the other side...

Edited by Handies