Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Look: Harvesting - Official discussion thread

Pann

If we're going to be exploding the resource with the single animation rather than having unique animations for various actions, why is there an item associated with the harvesting?  Why do we need a wood axe if we're telling the tree to explode and dump the resources on the ground?

I did find the harvesting animation a bit weird but understand why you're doing a single animation instead of several. Is this animation a placeholder and will it eventually be replaced by more traditional axe/pick swinging type animations once you have time to put them in?

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Guild

I'm on board that it seems strange for resources to explode AND require a tool for them to be harvested.

I understand that budget is tight and animations cost quite a lot, but it questions the requirement of tool from a player perspective regarding design.

Just let me at it!

Maybe add a model of the harvesting tool used in the harvesting FX whacking away at the node?

Either way, i don't care... just give me something to harvest in down time...

Function > Form

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

If we're going to be exploding the resource with the single animation rather than having unique animations for various actions, why is there an item associated with the harvesting?  Why do we need a wood axe if we're telling the tree to explode and dump the resources on the ground?

Why do we need weapons for the druid if we never hit anyone with them?  I feel like the harvesting tool slots are there so we can have varying degrees of time it takes to harvest materials, like seen in Pathfinder.  Or it could be different harvesting tools are needed for higher tiers, like in minecraft.

I'm willing to wait for specific animations, but if they never come, I'm fine with the current implementation.

lUvvzPy.png

Didn't they say those discipline tools were just to give other players around you an idea of what you're "capable of" or something along those lines? You see the archetype, you see the tools he's carrying and you have a basic idea of what kind of opponent he's going to be. They even gave a funny example of seeing a necromancer with a cleaver and knowing you're loosing your organs if you're defeated. But I guess it becomes more important for the combat discipline tools. Would be interesting if different tools (like more specialized picks) could give you bonus or modifiers in the harvesting though. 

Why do we need weapons for the druid if we never hit anyone with them?  I feel like the harvesting tool slots are there so we can have varying degrees of time it takes to harvest materials, like seen in Pathfinder.  Or it could be different harvesting tools are needed for higher tiers, like in minecraft.

I'm willing to wait for specific animations, but if they never come, I'm fine with the current implementation.

The druid's staff provides modifiers for her attacks, same as the confessor's book.  They serve a purpose.

If we're exploding a tree with a gesture, the wood axe serves no purpose except to take up inventory space.

Tools are symbolic or if you want to be literal they're probably items imbued with magical properties that enhance your god powers. The animations don't bother me at all and the reasoning you give makes perfect sense. I do have a question about the way that harvesting and disciplines interact though. They have several listed disciplines which increase overall skill, so does that mean having a harvesting discipline on top of training will increase your effectiveness/speed/quality chance/rare spawn chance?

Also, if the environmental trees are meant to be actual harvesting nodes, how do you plan on preventing players from clear cutting the entire map and are respawns dynamic or static?

Also as a crafting related question do you plan on artificially controlling resource scarcity or will resources and tiers of resources be generated randomly based on skill?

If we're exploding a tree with a gesture, the wood axe serves no purpose except to take up inventory space.

I disagree. While separate animations would be a good thing, it is hardly the only reason to have tools in game.

The need for different tools creates the need to make those tools. This drives further harvesting, crafting, and economy depth.

I'm sure ACE would love to have fancy animations for everything, but animations cost money, and they need to decide which animations are the most important to implement.

IhhQKY6.gif

To start with the negative: I imagine the reason we still need tools for the godsplosion is because the animation is a generic placeholder that saves manpower. Hopefully, post launch they have the resources to update the animations to more physical harvesting animations with better feedback.

Seeing the way loot explodes out of the nodes instantly brought one thing to mind: http://forums.nurfed.com/hearthstone/

You might immediately think that the extra dev time to make the resources explode out of a node and be ground objects you have to run over is wasted time. Literally every other harvesting system I've played is simpler: hit node, receive resources directly in inventory.

The choice to do it this way is nothing short of genius. The trouble that you can get into while harvesting is often extremely fun (a lot of my memorable Darkfall 1v1 encounters began at resource nodes), the stuff that you can do with the harvested materials is fun, but the actual act of harvesting will never be fun for the vast majority of people.

Instead of fighting a losing uphill battle to make harvesting fun like with an extensive minigame, the developers have chosen to make it addictive.

The way the materials explode out like a hearthstone pack in terms of rarity, combined with the actual need to physically run over them (reminiscent of picking up rupees, coins, bananas, fruits in classic games) is a 2 hit combo of savvy monkey brain manipulation that I have immense appreciation for.

A+

Edited by Effeh

I don't mind the animation, I enjoy it as it's fresh given other MMO's you have to look at your guy chopping or mining away for resources.

I'm very interested to see the different kinds of resources, especially if there can be differences within the same types of woods, such as Oak imbued with Fire, or Tough Oak, and so forth. Will make crafting and material gathering more fun, I think.

Instead of having pick-axes and other harvesting equipment - what about magical bracelets which advance your skill in extracting magically?

my exact thought.... maybe not bracelets but something magicial which let you grab the essence... well technically bracelets, gauntlets, etc. 

Personally I don't really care about the animation. I mean for the beginning it is more than enough, though they probably won't come back later on just to introduce some un-necessary animations. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

The druid's staff provides modifiers for her attacks, same as the confessor's book.  They serve a purpose.

The axe will be on the paper doll taking up no space, and my point was that maybe a harvesting axe would have modifiers as well, like how long it takes to harvest, or an increase to resource amounts.  All of those things are possibilities.

lUvvzPy.png

who says it has to be tools specifically, sticking with the global animation, harvesting could be a rune you have to craft and equip, and different runes have different benefits, problem solved.

edit : or yeah bracelets would do to... sigh hadn't read all

Edited by Overdhose

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

I noticed from the image captures of the 12hr stream that the exploration discipline Miner is related to stone, and Prospector is related to metals.  This struck me as a bit odd as mining is typically more inclusive than just stone.  I would recommend considering a rename from MINER to QUARRYMAN which would be historically more appropriate, and specifically related to the "quarry" resource node.

rSHxVEY.gif