Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: Harvesting - Official discussion thread

Exactly the kind of trivial, non immersive mechanisms I want from an MMO that has so much emphasis on economy and crafting, yaaaay >.>

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I like it but I'm not a harvester type. Will be interesting to see if they miss the noise of the pick. I feel like I've seen that enough so I'm glad to see something new. I hope harvesters and crafters don't take it the wrong way.

Edited by tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

Exactly the kind of trivial, non immersive mechanisms I want from an MMO that has so much emphasis on economy and crafting, yaaaay >.>

Personally I've always found the harvesting mechanisms to be lackluster.  I really swing a pick-axe exactly 3.5 times at any node (which all look the same) and it works perfectly?  I'm alright with a magical extraction and a magical explanation - in fact, it's more immersive for me.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Maybe a compromise is the animation involves a ghosty glowy harvesting tool and the sound has echoes of more traditional harvesting noises?

I role play a wordsmith.

If less time spent on multiple-tool harvesting animations means more time spent on combat animations, I'm fine with it.  Exploding resources sounds kinda entertaining to me  :)

tiPrpwh.png

On 6/28/2016 at 5:09 PM, coolster50 said:

Landmark, has "piñata" harvesting, but all the resources just float towards you and there is no need for manual pick ups. It wasn't bad, IMO, just different. I also like the "piñata" approach ACE is taking, because that means that I can come in as a Fae and steal all the wood you just spent lumbering >:]

Is this a real thing? A player can steal the materials from whatever node you are harvesting from? Some of mats land far away from the gatherer. Or are the materials locked to the gatherer?

17 minutes ago, Ailios said:

Is this a real thing? A player can steal the materials from whatever node you are harvesting from? Some of mats land far away from the gatherer. Or are the materials locked to the gatherer?

afaik players can pick up dropped materials during your gathering process so yeah, probably.

edit: adding my two cents I do like the piñata harvesting but there are so many issues with it.

1. Can't free look during harvesting
  2. Can't auto loot materials that drop whilst harvesting leaving it open for others
  3. The actual pickup zone is so SMALL
  4. Materials can quite literally end up in Africa.
Edited by Midas

10 minutes ago, Midas said:

afaik

It is definitely the case. And it will stay this way. There are no signs that this might change one day.

As for the other points: there has been some hints that we might get discipline runes in the future which can make a harvesters life more easy by for example (at least partially) circumventing some of the usual restrictions during harvesting.

As far as i know there are no current plans for servers in africa. So the resources literally-landing-in-africa thing, well ... not really (yet).

10 hours ago, Ailios said:

Yeah, it works this way. Usually people harvest in groups, so their other group members who don't have adequate harvesting skills pick up the resources that drop. It's not locked to the harvester, so anyone can pick up the mats- friend, foe, or that annoying guy who's on your faction. :P

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.