Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

building a harvesting node kingdom?

jasta85

So, for players that are uninterested in building a sprawling castle I wonder if it would be possible to still benefit from having an EK by building a kingdom full of creature and resource nodes.  You then make your kingdom public and allow other players to come in and harvest whatever resources they want, while paying a tax or something on any resources they collect.  Since resource spawns don't require any upkeep this lets you generate a small but steady stream of income that you can use to pay off other players for whatever you need.  Alternatively you could farm all your own resources yourself and just sell them off at one of the major player markets.

Think this is feasible for players not interested in city building?

everybody is able to build his own little kingdom, why would they pay taxes to visit yours?

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

they get free resources, and when I say taxes I mean like they get to harvest all the resources they want but say 30% of what they gather goes to me.  That way I can be away campaigning while still getting steady flow of resources in the bank.

I don't know how taxes will work, considering that even currency is produced by players it would be odd to demand tax in gold if you have one player that only has a ton of iron and copper.

I see the vibe your going for - your kingdom as a wild untamed jungle that you sell to other players safari style or farm yourself.

From a personal style / roleplaying perspective i'm sure this might be possible, but I doubt it would be profitable. 

Frankly though we know very little about EKs and their economic role versus campaign worlds and the import and exporting systems.

FAQ heavily on focuses on buildings themselves as progression and seems to suggest your plan would not work economically.

FAQ doesn't talk about monster spawners.

Lower tier resources can be found in low quantity in the kingdoms, and higher tier (and higher quantities of) resources are only found in the campaign worlds.

Kingdoms start with raw land filled with wilderness. We call an empty cell “wild”; it’s basically untamed (and unusable) forest. You cannot build assets on land that is wild – and, without buildings, the land has very little utility/function.

To develop one or more “wild” cells into useable land, you buy parcels

Parcels are just containers, though. A kingdom filled with parcels (and no buildings) would look cool, but have no game effect.

More developed kingdoms have more parcels. More parcels means more buildings. More buildings allow for more vassals and tenants, higher online player population caps (i.e. how many players can be on this world at any time) and better visibility when other players are browsing the kingdom list for new markets (or kingdoms). All of this also means more commerce, which can generate more revenue from other players; however, note that all of these are indirect benefits – the social and economic gains that you get from dealing with other players.

Still, the campaign worlds all have import rules that severely limit the number of items that can be brought into the world. Having a larger, more developed kingdom will not directly impact the game balance within the campaigns.
Edited by Tinnis

Here's the thing, ACE has stated that resource nodes will be restricted by a maximum amount of node slots per terrain piece and also by geography. The nodes themselves will most likely be extremely expensive to make and will only pay out minimally over time. Players that belonged to your kingdom would be fighting over very limited, low-tier resources for the sake of not entering a campaign world?

Sorry but, it's not a viable money making strategy. My suggestion to you is that you use the nodes for yourself to generate money for your parcel taxes.

As a related follow up, I suggest if you have a plan to make money that you think is unique that you keep it a close guarded secret and not ask people from the forums their opinion on it. Imagine if you were the first person to think of farming resource nodes and you just created competition by posting about it. Just food for thought.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

As a related follow up, I suggest if you have a plan to make money that you think is unique that you keep it a close guarded secret and not ask people from the forums their opinion on it. Imagine if you were the first person to think of farming resource nodes and you just created competition by posting about it. Just food for thought.

Most ideas will be not be unique, and the best way to handle non-unique ideas is to be the best at what you want to do.

lUvvzPy.png

Eveything in the EK will cost resources to build and maintain. If there is a 100 resouce node limit to an EK that doesnt mean we all have 100 nodes to start with. Additionally like ideamatrix said you'll need to craft/buy parcels to "tame the wild" and make it usable land. Thus to have more nodes you'll need more resouces.

I don't see the problem that everyone has with this. They have stated that only the basic resources will be available in your EK and that you will need to go into deeper campaigns to get the better resources. If we assume this, it seems possible, and not game breaking in the slightest, to have the basic materials available. I imagine that you will be able to farm the basic resources to build small huts and houses from your EK as well ass enough resources to pay your upkeeps. If campaigns are months long and we are only getting resources at the end of the month(s), then we are going to need a steady stream of resources to last us until this point. I see the development team having two options here. They will either need to provide us with the ability to do exactly as the OP stated, or they will need to make the embargo exports to happen in very small amounts weekly/daily; with the huge export happening at the end of the campaign. I also don't see why they can't do both if our EK's only have the basic resource nodes. I mean if I am locked into a 6 month long campaign and I can only export at the end, how am I suppose to pay upkeep costs on decaying structures until that 6 months is over?

Resource nodes will probably be very expensive. I think, this strategy will be possible, but only for guilds, which will be making one Kingdom for the whole guild and other guild members' Kingdoms they can turn into such resource farms, including this kind of their usage.

I don't think resource nodes will neccessarily be expensive.  They do have timers on how often they spawn materials so you can't just grind them all day, and they only spawn low level materials.  Remember that new players to the game after launch will not be starting with fortresses, keeps and castles, they'll be starting from the ground up.  I see resource nodes as a way for them to gather low level materials easily and get a start in their kingdom without having to wait a month or so for the end of their first campaign.

I don't think resource nodes will neccessarily be expensive.  They do have timers on how often they spawn materials so you can't just grind them all day, and they only spawn low level materials.  Remember that new players to the game after launch will not be starting with fortresses, keeps and castles, they'll be starting from the ground up.  I see resource nodes as a way for them to gather low level materials easily and get a start in their kingdom without having to wait a month or so for the end of their first campaign.

We also don't know what resources, type or tier, will be required to build forts, castles, or citadels.  Without knowing if building basic building materials will suffice, we can't say (yet) whether or not EK resource nodes will be enough, or if they will need to enter into the inner band CWs.  Why I say the inner band, is because one of the resource tables shows the EKs being able to provide the same materials that can be found in the outer band CWs; meaning the only reason a person would have to go into a CW is if the buildings require nodes that can only be found in the inner CWs.

Also, I hope that the harder CWs are longer than a few months; I want to see 6 months to 1 year shadow and dregs CWs. 

lUvvzPy.png

keep in mind that the campaigns are purposely short (a few months) so as to not drag things out and to let players enjoy their rewards in a timely manner.  With destructable environments, a year into a campaign there world will be a barren, charred wasteland with nothing on it.  in fact players will probably starve to death before the year is up due to strip mining all the resources early on in the campaign.  There is also the fact that you only get rewards at the end of a campaign, so for players wanting to develop their EK's and get rare materials for that purpose from the harder CW's, having to wait a year for that will be punishing.

• 1 month later...

I don't see the problem that everyone has with this. They have stated that only the basic resources will be available in your EK and that you will need to go into deeper campaigns to get the better resources. If we assume this, it seems possible, and not game breaking in the slightest, to have the basic materials available. I imagine that you will be able to farm the basic resources to build small huts and houses from your EK as well ass enough resources to pay your upkeeps. If campaigns are months long and we are only getting resources at the end of the month(s), then we are going to need a steady stream of resources to last us until this point. I see the development team having two options here. They will either need to provide us with the ability to do exactly as the OP stated, or they will need to make the embargo exports to happen in very small amounts weekly/daily; with the huge export happening at the end of the campaign. I also don't see why they can't do both if our EK's only have the basic resource nodes. I mean if I am locked into a 6 month long campaign and I can only export at the end, how am I suppose to pay upkeep costs on decaying structures until that 6 months is over?

they have said they are considering the idea of being able to embargo out as each campaign changes seasons. which seems reasonable to me, the best stuff won't be around until autumn and winter anyway.

The first 6 months will feel very differencompared to the next 6 years. Because Crowfall is a player driven economy most of the "good stuff" won't trickle out till most of the campaigns are done.

This will really shape he the EKs feel while we are still waiting for everyone to settle in.

Lastly we can't think of this fame as a single player experience. Solo farming a massive personal shard. If everyone could easily fill up a their EK with resources then the market would be flooded with them. Supply and demand would dictate their value thus making them so extremely common most would find the payoff not worth any attention at all. Only the most dedicated would find an ever so slight reason to continue to harvest them.

Remember that if everyone had millions of dollars than being a million wouldn't mean you're rich anymore...you'd be ordinary.