Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Environments: What a wonderful world! - Official discussion thread

Is the process of height mapping, procedural generation, review pass what is being done for each Parcel?

How many unique parcels is the team creating?

To what degree are parcels the same with a different skin?

Do the artist complete a review pass for each season?

When it comes to stitching parcels together for the CW, will a similar process be followed?  How will the process change?

@jonnycab

Once the environment is looking nice, what steps or procedures do you use to make it functional?  In a war game, we expect to be able to use natural terrain features strategically; things like canyons or fords as choke points, cliffs for height and range advantage, and chasms and lakes as natural barriers when maneuvering your enemies.  You'll be on the look out for nooks and crannies to hide your force in wait for an ambush.

Are you consciously designing these spaces to encourage this sort of thing, or will you prefer the random element of procedural generation?  I've always envisioned some "300"-esque scenarios happening in Crowfall, with the way character collisions work.  I wonder if procedural generation alone can make the terrain "interesting" enough for these kinds of interactions to occur while in the open field.

I really liked the new environments. Not only did it look beautiful, but the terrain was a bit more rugged, with bigger rock formations which will make for more interesting fights (LoS, kiting, etc). I hope to see more of that like Hyriol said! Ruins, narrow passages, etc. 

I like.

I give you guys a hard time and god knows there are decisions I disagree with (I'm right, btw :P), but I'm impressed with what you've gotten done in the past few months. Things seem to really be picking up.

I'm not counting my chickens tickers (boo!) before they hatch, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by coolwaters

Looking so good! Seems like the system is really coming together, the explorer part of me is  :D.

How many unique parcels is the team creating?

That was my question too. How many unique parcels are needed to generate interesting and distinct CWs?

tiPrpwh.png

Looking so good! Seems like the system is really coming together, the explorer part of me is :D.

That was my question too. How many unique parcels are needed to generate interesting and distinct CWs?

During the live stream they said they had 3 for the demo, and plan on having like 70-100 in for launch Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

looks like vast space with no place to hide...

there should be much more bushes, high grass or whatever. one just should not be able to see every player in a mile around.

or just trees having leaves in the lower 3 meters, too.

Edited by Gromschlog

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Now we just need :

• Desert Parcels
  • Swampland Parcels
  • Mountain Parcels
  • Savannah (tall grass) Parcels
  • Valley Parcels
  • Hill Parcels
  • Jungle/Rain Forest Parcels
  • And Beach Parcels
You know, gotta make it unique.

Now get back to work! *Cracks Whip

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

• Desert Parcels
  • Swampland Parcels
  • Mountain Parcels
  • Valley Parcels
  • Hill Parcels
  • And Beach Parcels

Lol I'm looking forward to that level of variety as well. I doubt it'll be available at launch, but I'm sure it'll get into the game eventually! That makes me all kinds of happy, especially when it comes to resources. Once more variety of parcels make it, will some have exclusive types of resources? Will some types of wood ONLY be found in jungles, savannas and so on? How exactly will the variety affect gameplay? Will God's Reach only have basic, mostly similar parcels, whereas the Dregs have a ridiculous amount of variety and, therefore, a variety of rare mats? Will a campaign be made of multiple types each, or will they be made up of specific ones, affecting how you play the game? They said the campaign worlds are as big as a typical MMO continent EACH, so I can't imagine them being constricted to only 2-3 various parcel types.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

• Desert Parcels
  • Swampland Parcels
  • Mountain Parcels
  • Valley Parcels
  • Hill Parcels
  • And Beach Parcels

Dat beachfront property doe.

Edited by yamix

I can't really come up with a good question, so I'll ask a bad question.

Do you have any plans to allow parcels to change throughout the course of a Campaign.  For example, Parcel A's Tree #52 has been cut down, can trees be cut down, or will trees remain erect when players "pull" resources out of them?  Will we be able to change the landscape in any permanent way besides placing buildings?

Any chance of terraforming at a small scale being included at any point after the game has launched?  I feel so helpless being completely unable to destroy trees.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

I can't really come up with a good question, so I'll ask a bad question.

Do you have any plans to allow parcels to change throughout the course of a Campaign. For example, Parcel A's Tree #52 has been cut down, can trees be cut down, or will trees remain erect when players "pull" resources out of them? Will we be able to change the landscape in any permanent way besides placing buildings?

Any chance of terraforming at a small scale being included at any point after the game has launched? I feel so helpless being completely unable to destroy trees.

Sounds like from what they've talked about on the harvesting video and the stream that they intend to let you destroy the resources (as in, the tree that was there is gone, forever). I imagine that helps make things scarce as the campaign winds down and we hit winter.

Edit:

Should also make where people choose to be and where they headquarter interesting as well. Assuming all resources except maybe wild life is more or less gone forever once harvested, large zergs may eventually be forced to distribute as they devour their resources, eventually spreading out into smaller outposts. Assuming there isn't a large empty part of the map to migrate to, they may not even be able to keep their keeps within a reasonable distance, and lose their numbers advantage at any given keep, pushing them back into a blob with little to no resource as smaller groups take/retake the land. At which point in fighting or simply starvation or lack of reasonable equipment may lose them the day.

May be interesting to see how this plays out, especially if at all how I imagine it.

Edited by yamix