Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Environments: What a wonderful world! - Official discussion thread

Cool to see the technology working. Keep up the great work. I agree with everyone else that the team is making rapid progress.

Here are some real world environments, used in Game of Thrones. Perhaps it could provide some inspiration, as the current environment leaves much to be desired. I personally would prefer to feel like I am traversing epic areas, instead of fighting in the nearby park.

https://iso.500px.com/game-of-thrones-filming-locations/

These screenshots are beautiful, but they don't do the environment any justice, animated it even looked much better! When I saw Jon working on these on the livestream I got even more pumped.

Even with the 3 parcel variety I never got the feeling I already seen parts of the world, it all felt unique to me. We were talking about it in voice chat while watching. I didn't notice the seams either. Even after getting pointing them out to me, I couldn't see them. But maybe I just need glasses. ;-)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Awesome tech! Though the seams were very noticeable to me, personally (extremely picky), I really love the method used to achieve the parcel stitching.

I wonder how you did it, actually (being a Unity dev myself). Did you just create a linearly interpolated blend of the heightmap information on the borders, before applying those heightmaps to the ground plane? And if so, are the heightmaps then applied in realtime, so one could possibly... edit them during play? :D

While it felt that the people who had segments on the live stream didn't have enough time alotted to describe accurately what they were achiveing with each given segment to the depth where we could truly appreciate their talents it helps to remember that these guys have a method. They work a certain way.. It's not easy on the spot to accurately portray what they're doing on a live stream in front of 500 people. It takes years to get good as a youtuber at making content and transitioning between ideas.. Taking something as technical as game design and striving to make it relatable to the lay man so they understand why what you're doing makes sense without editing or a backround in presentation and it can get hairy quick.

I felt they all held it together very well.. Todd did with his 10 shots.. That man has more energy than he knows what to do with :). He's like the ring master.

I would personally like to see these guys get a chance to live stream their content with a little more chance to have video editing and for it to feel like they felt happy portraying the stuff they prepared. I didn't feel like O'neil got his due during the stream and I think the work he's doing is phenomenal.

I feel the same way about Melissa and her castle building.. She obviously also deserved more respect than some of our twitchers asking to buy a date from her 9though she is a quite attractive woman) she deserves respect for her professional skills and that needed to be the focus.

That said this team has a game to make and they only have so much time and resources to devote towards keeping us informed given that they are stretched thin given the monumental amount of work they are pushing out.

Respect given where respect is due.

We're lucky in that ACE is so transparent.. but honestly I feel that they didn't really get their due.. My respect for they team grew tremendously and I enjoyed getting a chance to see them for who they were, in their element. This is a team of very capable people..

2 minutes into testing tonight I was just blown away by the graphics and the creativity of the abilities.. I'm sold man.. This game has a lot of polishing etc but holy crap.. I already feel it's something of true beauty and my excitement just continues to grow.

Edited by Noctonomous

“There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs.” -Jorah Mormont of Bear Island

George R.R. Martin

Questions for the team :

1) as said in the live, you guys are considering implementing debuffs to players depending on the terrain type (swamp = less speed). But are you guys considering doing the same for hills and mountains ? like if you climb, you go slower, if you go down you're faster.

2) same thread of thoughts : would it be possible to improve the sight (distance of display/how far you can see) at the top of mountains ?

3) I guess we will see it in the near future, but how high should we expect mountains to be ?

4) considering these mountains, how can you avoid "skyrim climbing" (no way to the top on your side of the mountain ? just jump continuously and you will eventually reach it)

Looks really good and it's a pretty amazing feat procedurally generating the terrain.

For those asking for mountains I imagine there will be some parcels that include mountains in the MIDDLE of them but I bet each parcel will come back down to near ground height at the edges so it can be stitched together with other parcels. 

I'm really curious to see how they're going to do roads. I know they aren't in for launch but I can't fathom how you could procedurally generate roads and have them line up. Maybe it will be more of a terraforming a "beaten path" where players create the roads between PoI's as time goes on throughout a campaign. Or maybe once PoI's are randomly placed throughout the generated world the roads are overlaid afterwards? I'm no software engineer but I can't even begin to guess how they will accomplish this. 

I'm also curious to see how they will do seasons - this is a feature we haven't seen yet and unlike roads it's one the game will need to ship with. 

For roads, they might have to manually put roads in after generating the campaigns so that they line up, but maybe that GAEA software they're using is smart enough to get them to line up. IDK

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

For roads, they might have to manually put roads in after generating the campaigns so that they line up, but maybe that GAEA software they're using is smart enough to get them to line up. IDK

I have no idea about how they're doing any of this. Software technology is not my strong-suit. However, I imagine that there will be some touch-up on all campaigns before people are allowed in them. Procedurally generate the campaign. Look over map. Make some quick edits to make it seamless. Publish to public. That's just how I imagine it to work, I have no idea if that's how it'll go down. If they somehow get it utterly seamless without a quick look and subtle edits, I will be truly blown away.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Possible silly question incoming:

Does one plan ahead when designing an environment for the possibility of flight or flying mounts?

(I have no idea if this will ever be in the future, I was just curious if that becomes a headache for a designer if they haven't  planned ahead for it)?

OS_Sig3.png

I'd assume that POIs and bases for fort/castle construction will be handled by ACE, but will the Procedural generation system get any ability to place them itself? It could lead to POIs located in all sorts of unexpected and interesting places (that can, of course, be changed by the devs if any are too crazy)

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

Where is my cave fortress?  Elevated, have to come up a narrow pass while you are attacked from above.  Then you get to enter into the cave and fight your way down into the belly of the beast.  Siege engines like the catapult and trebuchet wont help you take down a mountain and there arent any walls to knock down.  I suppose you could build a ramp and give yourself better protection than the mountain pass.

Concept should be like the bear cave in 13th warrior.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

This post just got me wondering, have they been considering destructible environments and digging when making these parcel tools? Remember, one of the goals for the game was the ability to dig tunnels under castles, shoot mountains to create landslides. These parcels just seem to be built using a modded Unity terrain editor and very flat. I'm just wondering because I really want to try to line my city with underground tunnels with wildfire...

This post just got me wondering, have they been considering destructible environments and digging when making these parcel tools? Remember, one of the goals for the game was the ability to dig tunnels under castles, shoot mountains to create landslides. These parcels just seem to be built using a modded Unity terrain editor and very flat. I'm just wondering because I really want to try to line my city with underground tunnels with wildfire...

sadly, fully desctructable/changeable environment is kind of cancelled.

I'm also curious to see how they will do seasons - this is a feature we haven't seen yet and unlike roads it's one the game will need to ship with. 

I know how it could be done, in a very basic way.  Just like we send inputs via our keyboard to the server, and then the server sends back our input to the other clients, it's possible for the server to pass us information either on the fly, or by a date parameter.  Using substances (from Allegorithmic) they can change textures on the fly by passing parameters.  I don't know if we will be able to watch the seasons change per se, but it shouldn't be hard to have seasons change on a daily server downtime.

lUvvzPy.png

I am glad you guys are taking the time to go back through the parcels and polish them manually.  It makes it that much better.  I used to play a game called SpinTires and on the map editor I could paint a whole bunch of environment pieces such as trees and bushes, but to make the trail look like a trail and environment to actually look like a real environment I had to spend hours going through each trail and adding details to make it that much more immersive and it was a lot of work.  I am happy to hear you guys are doing the same, keep up the good work.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito