Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raphael

Will this just be mass PVP slaughter = no fun?

Most people have already answered, organized groups will always have the advantage vs. pugs, numbers will typically have the advantage (I say typically because a good skill group may be able to tackle that task). Also as other have stated, what you are seeing is testing footage, there will be campaigns available that are more casual or pug friendly, but Dregs and Shadow campaigns will be pretty rough on anyone without an organized group. 

Welcome btw.

that's why the campaigns are designed to accommodate different players.  In addition to that campaigns are designed around making sure players know when the action is happening.  The bloodstone rules for example mean that only at certain times will the campaign objectives be available so you don't need to worry about the other side getting together in off hours and rushing you by surprise.

Hopefully the skill-ceiling is high enough to where you can just utterly dominate groups of mediocre players and then occasionally bump into a truly great player and then dominate him individually in a not-mass slaughter kinda way.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Though I remain excited about Crowfall, the videos, Twitch streams, and some of the interview answers I've seen make the game look like:

you join a team

you all go fight another team

the other team is bigger or made up of awesome players

your team gets wiped out quickly and easily

your team gets mad and blames each other

your team disbands and doesn't want to play together again

....repeat.

What am I missing here? I never looked at this game like just another PVP arena-style game, and saw depth and real gamesmanship in some of the lead-up. Would love your perspectives.

These are all possible scenarios. I think suffice to say, that if you don't enjoy large scale pvp you're NOT going to enjoy crowfall.  If you can't stand getting bested by opponents that are far superior in "skill" (and I use that term loosely) you're also likely not to enjoy crowfall.  If you don't enjoy high-risk pvp (the possibility of losing your equipment and territory) crowfall might not be the game for you.

Edited by helix

I am a little surprised by the misunderstandings of the newer pledgers. More than once I've seen new players log in to hunger dome for the first time believing this is "the game"

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

I am a little surprised by the misunderstandings of the newer pledgers. More than once I've seen new players log in to hunger dome for the first time believing this is "the game"

i blame the mentality of "early access" steam games that are basically just sold as alpha games for 2-3 years / forever........and then dont change

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Crowfall isn't the easiest game concept to understand because it hasn't been done before. Couple that with the fact that the testing modules don't look much like what the final game will be about (other than maybe sieges in siege perilous) and I could see how people get confused. At the same time you should do your research before you buy into something like this. 

Edited by blazzen

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

I think that might answer the quesion quickly: This (Hunger Dome & Siege Perilous) is not the game. 

They will add:

-crafting

-player driven economy

-more Archetypes

-A world just as big as WoW that resets every couple of months

-persistent characters

-persistent training on account level

-diciple runestones

-vassel system

-advantages and disadvantages

-Etenal Kingdoms

Hunger Dome is just a controlled test enviroment and does not resemble Crowfall in anything beside combat. Siege Perilous is a bigger combat test for further test of performance, which does not resemble Crowfall either (besides Combat).

If that doesnt bring it across I don't know what will.

Hope I could help =)

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

zerg problem will grow up in this game for sure
but at least you can skip unwanted/failed for you campaign (I hope developers will decrease reward for unbalanced/solo campaign manually or make some autosystem)

also, since I play mostly with randoms (almost every round, 1 druid died from self inflition before battle began on mobs), so I tested and some tactics works very well even versus 5+ low organized ppl with duo. use aoe, mass cc and narrow spaces

Edited by makkon

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

Most people have already answered, organized groups will always have the advantage vs. pugs, numbers will typically have the advantage (I say typically because a good skill group may be able to tackle that task). Also as other have stated, what you are seeing is testing footage, there will be campaigns available that are more casual or pug friendly, but Dregs and Shadow campaigns will be pretty rough on anyone without an organized group. 

Welcome btw.

Several have mentioned stuff I haven't read about, like Dregs, Shadow, etc. I must be missing a good content outlet. Can you point me to some of these more in-depth developments? Thank you.

These are all possible scenarios. I think suffice to say, that if you don't enjoy large scale pvp you're NOT going to enjoy crowfall.  If you can't stand getting bested by opponents that are far superior in "skill" (and I use that term loosely) you're also likely not to enjoy crowfall.  If you don't enjoy high-risk pvp (the possibility of losing your equipment and territory) crowfall might not be the game for you.

Interesting, Helix. I sure hope the game is not just as you describe. I get the impression from others there will be plenty of other dimensions to enjoy.

Crowfall isn't the easiest game concept to understand because it hasn't been done before. Couple that with the fact that the testing modules don't look much like what the final game will be about (other than maybe sieges in siege perilous) and I could see how people get confused. At the same time you should do your research before you buy into something like this. 

Yeah, I'm thinking the next Module (3.0) will help with these discussions, since it gives more comparison against HD and SP.  Persistent, big, logging in and out (rather than countdown timers), possibly early crafting, etc.

The reality is that unless you've either (1) followed CF and its updates from the beginning or (2) taken the time to read before posting, it's a unique NDA pre-alpha situation that is tough to know about until someone tells you.

As far as the OP goes, if they are not talking about the testing modules seeming like arena, but instead the proposed final game (CWs) - I think duration will matter a great deal (up to 3-6 month worlds), certainly size of the world, many more people, not to mention so many features that make it not like arena games (looting, PoIs, crafting, harvesting, city building, sieging).  And to wrap it all up, that CWs end does not in itself make Crowfall any different than typical MMOs, only a handful of which have original servers still running.

tl;dr Crowfall is a full-fledged MMO (in fact, more so than many recent release because it's less themepark-y).  GLHF

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Several have mentioned stuff I haven't read about, like Dregs, Shadow, etc. I must be missing a good content outlet. Can you point me to some of these more in-depth developments? Thank you.

I would suggest reading the FAQs.

IhhQKY6.gif

http://crowfall.com/en/faq/ that will give you a basic run down of what they have planned and what you can hopefully expect.

That will be an annoying part of sieges, going into a battle knowing you will die. Siege Perilous is pretty forgiving since you spawn at a war camp and can regear up and head back into battle, but if you die in the actual battlefield in a campaign, you'll likely be dropped in a random location naked, so the great "battles" might be shorter than expected.

That will be an annoying part of sieges, going into a battle knowing you will die. Siege Perilous is pretty forgiving since you spawn at a war camp and can regear up and head back into battle, but if you die in the actual battlefield in a campaign, you'll likely be dropped in a random location naked, so the great "battles" might be shorter than expected.

I guess people will just have to be more organized and aware and more skilled so they don't die.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Yeah, good thought Pang. I know these guys are smart and will make it fun for all players. I just hadn't seen it yet, and was being asked questions by a gamer friend last night who was concerned mostly about guilds and invites and those mechanics. I've played a zillion games, and they often get nasty, or just don't work at all. My initial question may be overstating my concern.

Fun is relative in PvP as it has the "emotional" factor of loss...   In DAoC and Shadowbane we learned to become numb to death.  "It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door..."   There will be campaign worlds where the faction system may even pit players within a guild against one another because of God or faction alignments if they choose to enter that CW...   Certain CW rulesets will be attractive specifically to GvG play while others will cater to other faction splits or solo LFG PuG play.  How "locked" into a CW at the account level will be a key factor in the CW choices we make.  In reality if you have never faced Oran Thul, PRX, CN, or other major "zerg" alliances in PvP and looked at beating them as a challenge to build a zerg busting crew and ally up with other solidly lead small to medium sized guilds then Crowfall may not be your best choice...  however the effort is there to find a spot for the less than hard-core PvP element even though most of us will be lurking for the gank the second you step out your door, just be ready to die a LOT, over and over until you are numb to the emotions attached to pixels, then you will be fine.  I think our community may finally be up for self regulating the zerg mentality, or we learn to get there by supporting quality over quantity in recruitment activities.   To me, major props go out to those who stay lean and mean and utilize short term alliances to bust zerg mentality.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

That will be an annoying part of sieges, going into a battle knowing you will die. Siege Perilous is pretty forgiving since you spawn at a war camp and can regear up and head back into battle, but if you die in the actual battlefield in a campaign, you'll likely be dropped in a random location naked, so the great "battles" might be shorter than expected.

That is not how death and respawn has been outlined.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I DIE IN A CAMPAIGN?

The crow leaves the vessel and can’t do much (or see much) until they find a new vessel to possess. In a graveyard, they can:

Scavenge a new body to create a new avatar

Possess a vessel from your import embargo (if you have one), or

In some Campaigns, use an altar to pray to the gods to return your fallen vessel (and some number of the item(s) that were lost)

Note: This last option is campaign specific!

Faction-based rulesets (i.e. God’s Reach, Infected) will allow you to retrieve your vessel and items after a brief period of time (with some decay).

The more difficult rulesets will require you to find and retrieve your vessel and items manually, assuming they haven’t been looted by other players.

13. DOES THIS MEAN THAT VESSELS CAN BE LOOTED?

In the Dregs, yes. There is a countdown timer that applies to the fallen vessel and if it isn’t retrieved quickly enough, other players can take not only your items but also your vessel.