Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThaddisSabbah

Resource Nodes/ Harvesting Possibilities

This topic was sparked in my mind from this video! Credit to the Crowfall Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxjc138jX00

To go along with the physics system, it would be better if they designed it so the vessel used a woodcutter's axe and actually cut down a tree, see it topple over, and then gather the resources from the felled tree-- a horizontal animation for cutting a tree down, and a vertical animation for gathering the resources from the entire fallen log... maybe if you didn't want to just harvest the tree, but to cut it down so it blocks a road, preventing a caravan from passing.

This all sounds a lot easier than it actually is in the code but it makes a ton more sense than essence gathering, and floating resources popping around the resource node. Though this is probably oriented towards the tree nodes specifically, the gathering of items shouldn't be like Minecraft where there's floating stuff everywhere and you just pick it up. I want to be able to cause an 'avalanche', maybe have ropes set up so I can cut it and let loose a bunch of big logs rolling into my enemies at the bottom of the hill. If you stack a bunch of felled logs to block a road, it should be difficult to cut through, but not impossible, as anything can be broken. And if you actually need the wood, be it from a magical tree or just for construction, then be able to cut it up to suit your needs. just two animations for the wood from the trees. Almost limitless possibilities.

And another thing that really bothers me from the latest video...

I know there needs to be a foundation for every aspect of the game before we have anything, but the idea behind 'being godly' and not using the tools that apply to certain resources, like an axe for trees, is rather silly. The 'essence gathering' animation is a cheap way out imo. If WoW has an animation for herb gathering, an an animation for Fishing, and an animation for Mining (all separate), then Crowfall should have a different animation for everything.

I don't mean to seem greedy, but to truly immerse the player, these ideas seem like they'd be applied rather easily to a game that uses voxels.

Edited by Thaddis Sabbah

The 'essence gathering' animation is a cheap way out imo. If WoW has an animation for herb gathering, an an animation for Fishing, and an animation for Mining (all separate), then Crowfall should have a different animation for everything.

The point here isn't to be immersive via an animation that no one will even care about past the first use, the point here is to save money by using only 1 animation. So what if WoW has it, WoW also has untold millions of dollars to work with whereas Crowfall barely boasts 7 Million. We can't be spending money on features just because other games have them.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

The point here isn't to be immersive via an animation that no one will even care about past the first use, the point here is to save money by using only 1 animation. So what if WoW has it, WoW also has untold millions of dollars to work with whereas Crowfall barely boasts 7 Million. We can't be spending money on features just because other games have them.

while i too like the idea of the OP. Im with tragic here. If they had the time and money to do animations for everything i belive they would have done so allready. But they choose this system knowing they are short on time and money. The prio of the dev should be PvP/GvG and the animations around that. All the other stuff should be lower in the prio list.

Tough instat of an axe in the inventory that i dont use how about a rune stone that enchants my gathering ability for that type of res.

Runestones could look the same but with different collors and sysmbols on them. This would make more sense animation wise and should also easyer to implement.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us now!

To go along with the physics system, it would be better if they designed it so the vessel used a woodcutter's axe and actually cut down a tree, see it topple over, and then gather the resources from the felled tree-- a horizontal animation for cutting a tree down, and a vertical animation for gathering the resources from the entire fallen log... maybe if you didn't want to just harvest the tree, but to cut it down so it blocks a road, preventing a caravan from passing.

This all sounds a lot easier than it actually is in the code but it makes a ton more sense than essence gathering, and floating resources popping around the resource node. Though this is probably oriented towards the tree nodes specifically, the gathering of items shouldn't be like Minecraft where there's floating stuff everywhere and you just pick it up. I want to be able to cause an 'avalanche', maybe have ropes set up so I can cut it and let loose a bunch of big logs rolling into my enemies at the bottom of the hill. If you stack a bunch of felled logs to block a road, it should be difficult to cut through, but not impossible, as anything can be broken. 

I love this idea. Being the game is all about pvp, castle defense, and nation take-over, this idea would add so much more subsistence to the game, with very little effort. Yea, Wow Might have deep pockets, but what he is suggesting is not only inexpensive, considering they have most of the physics groundwork covered already, it also wouldn't have to be immediate. I see why they're using this animation now, just so they can implement it already into the game and test it; however, I feel like continuing upon the mechanics in the way OP posted, would do wonders for strategy, tactics, and planning. It would be way more fun than let's say, "Is everyone on for a Guild Pillage? Good, let's swarm." This minute detail, you could really employ strategy a lot more effectively and in a more fun manner. 

Going for a hostile-takeover? Block their roads making it harder for allies to get to them, and for them to get out, or to gather resources where they may need it for the defense of the invasion. A lot of people are confusing this game with just a standard MMO, but as much as RPG is very much related to it's spirit, so is Real-Time-Strategy. They've repeatedly mentioned the likeness between let's say Risk or Game of Thrones, with Crowfall. Adding this feature eventually, would add a ton more flesh to gameplay, and also give invasion/defense strategists, unlimited ideas in how to pursue their goals.

~Thaddis Sabbah, you the man brother.

Going for a hostile-takeover? Block their roads making it harder for allies to get to them, and for them to get out, or to gather resources where they may need it for the defense of the invasion. A lot of people are confusing this game with just a standard MMO, but as much as RPG is very much related to it's spirit, so is Real-Time-Strategy. They've repeatedly mentioned the likeness between let's say Risk or Game of Thrones, with Crowfall. Adding this feature eventually, would add a ton more flesh to gameplay, and also give invasion/defense strategists, unlimited ideas in how to pursue their goals.

I fail to see how an animation changes anything to the tactics...

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

I want to be able to cause an 'avalanche', maybe have ropes set up so I can cut it and let loose a bunch of big logs rolling into my enemies at the bottom of the hill. If you stack a bunch of felled logs to block a road, it should be difficult to cut through, but not impossible, as anything can be broken. And if you actually need the wood, be it from a magical tree or just for construction, then be able to cut it up to suit your needs. just two animations for the wood from the trees. Almost limitless possibilities.

I think the same thing can be done with crafted traps (i mean big traps against caravans, not something to be used against single enemies) for lesser costs (ACE is not Blizzard).

You gather the ressources from trees in a godly manner, choose the right location for the trap, craft it in your inventory or set a blueprint directly in the world so that other players can help you (like in the game "the forrest") and then you use it when the caravan passes. 

That way you avoid having to add lots of new animations (cutting, falling, rolling, crashing into caravan = just keep the last 2) + you keep the tactical options rolling trees and stones can add :)

I think the same thing can be done with crafted traps (i mean big traps against caravans, not something to be used against single enemies) for lesser costs (ACE is not Blizzard).

You gather the ressources from trees in a godly manner, choose the right location for the trap, craft it in your inventory or set a blueprint directly in the world so that other players can help you (like in the game "the forrest") and then you use it when the caravan passes. 

That way you avoid having to add lots of new animations (cutting, falling, rolling, crashing into caravan = just keep the last 2) + you keep the tactical options rolling trees and stones can add :)

As much as I would very much like the option the OP stated, you're right. Would require far less work and would do roughly the same thing. Either option would work wonders. It's just too good of an idea to not implement into a game that seems like it should have.

Sometimes a little bit more 'eye candy' can help immersion but a simple harvesting animation does it for me. There's bigger fish to fry.

Agreed.

Here's a good clip of what I have in mind:

forumbarricadepic1health_zps65381d92.jpg

It would be super dope to see this. Barricades would be able to help in so many epic ways. What if you had a spy in your guild who let the opposing army know of your invasion. You guys stock up the Caravans and way down the road you see this, or, in the entrance of a mountain pass needed to be passed. It's this sorta site that would be epic to see, or... frightening. 

Well this thread is way outdated, especially with the implementation of the new excavation and harvesting rune animations which happened months ago. They're pretty dope though!