Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elements of destruction - Official discussion thread

Looks like there'll be some improvements in wall destruction for the next SP test build.

Some followup questions though:

1)  Have you addressed the framerate stress all those individual blocks put on the clients?

2) Are the parts of the buildings other than the wall sections destructible now?  Will they ever be?

Well great progress. I really like that approach rather than what we saw up to this point in SP. 

However I'm a bit concerned about the performance. I mean at larger sieges it is inevitable to have performance drops (many players, effects, summons, etc.) and yeah... With this the load will increase even more. I mean I know that it isn't final but I just hope it won't break the game down to a diashow. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Are those bricks voxels or you dropped them?

Aside from the performance issues, the rendering has to improve a lot. Both the meteor-projectile and the falling of bricks are stuttering.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Well great progress. I really like that approach rather than what we saw up to this point in SP. 

However I'm a bit concerned about the performance. I mean at larger sieges it is inevitable to have performance drops (many players, effects, summons, etc.) and yeah... With this the load will increase even more. I mean I know that it isn't final but I just hope it won't break the game down to a diashow.

Agreed. Even in that video the wall chuncks were falling at like 10fps.

People are expecting better and better performance. 120+hz monitors are pretty comon now.

I feel like were getting close enough to launch they need to be careful what they show and wait until stuff is closer to launch quality.

MOkvLlm.png

While the destruction is cool and all, I just hope the servers and frames-rates can stay stable with large fights going on in the background. (Perhaps giving destruction low render distance priority could help).

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

Awesome, love the destruction! Two things though:

1. Will wall pieces later have weight or something so that they damage players they fall on top of?
  2. Are you guys going to use this same process for terrain destruction as well, or will there be a different method used?

Can't wait for Siege Perilous 2.1!  

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Some followup questions though:

1) Have you addressed the framerate stress all those individual blocks put on the clients?

The elephant in the room, does ACE have a plan to make their voxel/wall destruction functional on an MMO scale...e.g. no fps drops as your computer (and 50 to 100+ other players) tracks each individual bit of rubble.

I hope that the solution materializes and that the systems contribution to the overall game was worth the investment over using fake physics/static destroyed wall states.

Edited by angelmar

The elephant in the room, does ACE have a plan to make their voxel/wall destruction functional on an MMO scale...e.g. no fps drops as your computer tracks each individual bit of rubble.

I hope that the solution materializes and that the systems contribution to the overall game was worth the investment over using fake physics/static destroyed wall states.

I am also kinda worried about that aspect.

Looks like the jittering of the blocks is just because they aren't applying any smoothing to their position updates from the server. You can see from the knight's idle animation that the actual frame rate is higher (still some hitching though).

We need more tech stuff like this!

Love the small bricks falling from the top of the wall section. Adds a lot of flavor to the destruction.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!