Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First of all, I know this game is meant to be focused on PVP, which I love, and am fully on board with.

I'm curious if there will, however, be any sort of central story arc in PVE, or groupable content outside of the PVP scenarios.

So far in alpha it seems that the PVE is just to kill mobs on your way to engage PVP players. It would be great if there were PVE situations that can be done outside of PVP as well as inside.

Thoughts?

First of all, I know this game is meant to be focused on PVP, which I love, and am fully on board with.

I'm curious if there will, however, be any sort of central story arc in PVE, or groupable content outside of the PVP scenarios.

So far in alpha it seems that the PVE is just to kill mobs on your way to engage PVP players. It would be great if there were PVE situations that can be done outside of PVP as well as inside.

Thoughts?

There is no story at all. Mobs are only there to be killed/kill you. That being said, I think we should start having more put in the game since they said for the next milestone they will be doing "test" campaigns where we explore the world. But to me, a world with just a single keep, hellcats and zombies isn't the most entertaining.

There will be a story in relation to PvE--these are dying worlds and their inhabitants are infected by the Hunger.  Basically, it's a dying zombie planet for us to pillage before it croaks completely.  There will probably be some very difficult mobs that will provide rare resources.  These mobs will likely require groups of players.     

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

There is no story at all. 

There is a story: WE write it, not them.

"The hordes of [GuildName1] are burning everything in sight, we need to find and hire the [GuildName2] to save us, but they want [ResourceName&Quantity] to do it!"

or

"[PlayerName] has assassinated [GuildLeader], and they can't respawn (due to campaign ruleset).  Who will lead our armies to glory?"

You get the idea?

The game has lore, not a story, and it needs to stay like that. There are plenty of single player games or multiplayer games with story, why does this one need to have it too? I'd rather they focus all of their time, effort, and money on making this the best content-rich PVP game that they can because, if you haven't noticed, the selection of PvP focused MMORPGs is kind of bare.

There's absolutely no need to PvE in any shape or form that's not directly tied to PvP in some fashion (like it currently is.) If craziness like dungeons gets added the only way they should be there is to act as loot lodestones to be fought over and within.

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

"i love the idea of this game"

"but here's how I would change it"

I sometimes wonder if there's an epidemic of illiteracy or comprehension.

This makes me laugh. You try to act like some kind of scholar, and then make a grammatical error in your snide, whiny remark. 

It would be an epidemic of illiteracy, or an epidemic of LACK of comprehension. Unless you're actually saying you think that an epidemic of comprehension is a bad thing. 

But to respond directly:  of course you can love something, but have ideas to improve upon it. 

Have you literally never said "man I loved that movie, I just wished they didn't _____"? 

PS. thanks for adding value to the thread bud

Edited by Caino

"i love the idea of this game"

"but here's how I would change it"

I sometimes wonder if there's an epidemic of illiteracy or comprehension.

This is an interesting post because I feel like you have often been guilty of doing this. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Thoughts?

Yes. I would love them add more. But that's because I'm greedy and want everything always.

Like all games though I have to pick my battles and ask myself, "will this have enough in it for me to enjoy?" If the answer is yes then I buy it.

And Crowfall "has enough" for me to put money down on it.

"The hordes of [GuildName1] are burning everything in sight, we need to find and hire the [GuildName2] to save us, but they want [ResourceName&Quantity] to do it!"

or

"[PlayerName] has assassinated [GuildLeader], and they can't respawn (due to campaign ruleset).  Who will lead our armies to glory?"

You get the idea?

MMO Communities could be said to be passionate, energetic, creative, but as never before in the life-cycle of online gaming those talents are turned far too often to things like "gaming the system", cheating, exploiting, making IRL $$ off of in-game artifacts if not selling of accounts, and basically focusing those talents on material gains (through, to, and including outside the game vectors facilitating $$ gain) whilst ostensibly holding that up as game-play.

In short: Most people have the imagination of a Turnip, but nearly everyone will hop onto opportunities for grabbing cookies if they can. Gimme the cookie, gimme. (sort of like the short attention span of the Dobermans looking at those steaks).This means the capacity for actually creating any kind of repeatable, meaningful "content" is beyond the grasp of most because they are consumed with chasing shinies, one after another, while making a lot of noise in the process.

We can reasonably see dealing with people making a nuisance of themselves, for instance, as part of our gaming experience of course. This is reasonable. That doesn't in my mind make it "content". The same with "Drama". You are going to have it, it's part of the experience.

Terminology that gets people side-tracked WAY down side-paths and back roads to the point they don't know where they are at anymore in a discussion. IMO: Story Arcs, PvE, PvE Content.

"Story Arcs" are good things. They can support PvP if implemented accordingly.

"PvE" Content ia very good things If it is designed and implemented with the clear direction, and function, of supporting PvP. I believe Cerulean Shaman made the relevant point.

"PvE" . . . the Environment of the virtual worlds . . . is nothing but a palette of possibilities that is NOT in conflict with the idea of PvP. If we assume it's designed to serve the target requirement: PvP related.

Design it wrong . . . and you get wrong results. Design it right, get the correct and desired results. Meaning I'm not in agreement with blanket statements "No PvE at all, that sucksorz! This is a PvP game-zors!"

No PvE content in the sense of dungeons, etc. makes sense to me.

Plenty of PvE content that is tied to CWs, findings there, establishing motivation and need to participate in the CWs, etc., Crafting also tied to CW available resources, etc., as Cerulean implied.

What some of us have to realize is that some of us who "like PvE content" are actually part of the choir. We want things to fit properly for the game.

PvE isn't arbitrarily something in conflict with PvP.

It's just design elements that have to be deployed correctly.

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

or

You get the idea?

Well my point still stands, there is no story. It's more or less a simulator than a traditional game. It just has gameplay elements. 

Well my point still stands, there is no story. It's more or less a simulator than a traditional game. It just has gameplay elements. 

What about the story about the All Father and the Hunger? The Dragon Throne? The eternal War of the Gods and their chosen Immortal Crows? The struggle between Order, Balance, and Chaos? Is that not story?

IhhQKY6.gif

Get this friendo...you and your buddies are writing Crowfall's story with your daily actions. You're going to be participating in events that people remember for YEARS to come. A campaign isn't some scripted, on rails, raid experience which everyone experiences in exactly the same way, it's a battle for supremacy where anything could happen.

Remember in that one fantasy series everyone likes, where a particular King is betrayed by some of his bannermen because of his haughty, arrogant attitude? I've seen that play out in Shadowbane before, and the same possibilities abound in Crowfall. Hell, someone will act as a "chronicler", aggregating all the weekly events in a campaign like some sort of news service.

Try to look at the bigger picture.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I wouldn't be bothered if ACE put in some "quests", if you will, that had the purpose of expanding on Crowfall's Universe and expanding on racial lore.

Or Todd could write articles akin to Wildstar's Loremageddon serious.

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I wouldn't be bothered if ACE put in some "quests", if you will, that had the purpose of expanding on Crowfall's Universe and expanding on racial lore.

Or Todd could write articles akin to Wildstar's Loremageddon serious.

I have no doubt that we'll be getting more Lore, just not until closer to launch.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

What about the story about the All Father and the Hunger? The Dragon Throne? The eternal War of the Gods and their chosen Immortal Crows? The struggle between Order, Balance, and Chaos? Is that not story?

That's Lore and background fluff. Think the response was more towards the OP wanting actual story based content. Meaning quest chains and group based PvE content. Of which we've known for a while there will be none.

That's Lore and background fluff. Think the response was more towards the OP wanting actual story based content. Meaning quest chains and group based PvE content. Of which we've known for a while there will be none.

I don't see the merit of inventing your own definition of "story" and then declaring there isn't any story. The "lore and background" is part of the Crowfall story. Saying Crowfall has no story is pure nonsense.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif