Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Future of MMOs

Keaggan

I've been going through some videos from the YouTube channel Extra Credits and came across a topic from 2012. The topic focused on "The Future of MMOs."

Check out the link below as it had some interesting things in it that made me think "too bad they did't know about Crowfall!" 

Extra Credits: The Future of MMOs

Yes they definitely are making a great job.

They should make a crowdfunding campaign and found their own gaming company to create MMOs theirselves.

That could be really amazing.

But well, today it seems like the big MMO productions of AAA games arent interesting for the gaming industry anymore. It feels or seems like the MMO genre is dying in terms of big productions, there arent any announced or in development anymore. This is really sad, because its the genre with the by far most potential left. But it would be expensive, risky and complex/difficult to make a game like for example EverQuest Next.

But this is definitely what is being needed. I think there is a big market there for the next genereation of MMO gaming. It just waits for brave developers and investors to be awakened/found. But Mobile gaming and VR is definitely not what is the next generation gaming big success.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Been watching them for ages, wish they had more new content, some of them have or are working on games.

And I doubt they'd buy into Crowfall, it's not meeting half of the lessons they share.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

They totally should crowdfund their own game company and make their own games. That could be magnificent!

They have to be independent and be able to make their own thing. Helping out at other game projects is just more or less patchwork.

Lets be honest, the major game companys and developers dont watch their videos, they prefer to produce AAA games that fall short on their promises one after the other and make a ton of money with it by using the marketing hype machine with using game journalists and youtubers/streamers.

They could learn so much from them and improve the games/their work so much by doing it, but they prefer to not doing it, because...

Edited by Urahara

Been watching them for ages, wish they had more new content, some of them have or are working on games.

And I doubt they'd buy into Crowfall, it's not meeting half of the lessons they share.

And this here, Crowfall, is still one of the best game projects I have seen so far in the game industry for the past 10 years.

Talks much for itself, doesnt it?

How terrible the gaming industry has become nowadays.

Edited by Urahara

And this here, Crowfall, is still one of the best game projects I have seen so far in the game industry for the past 10 years.

Indeed, the gaming industry is stuck in a tunnel vision.

btw have you guys heard of the kickstarter Chronicles of Elyria?

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/

Seems we're not completly alone :)

They totally should crowdfund their own game company and make their own games. That could be magnificent!

They have to be independent and be able to make their own thing. Helping out at other game projects is just more or less patchwork.

Lets be honest, the major game companys and developers dont watch their videos, they prefer to produce AAA games that fall short on their promises one after the other and make a ton of money with it by using the marketing hype machine with using game journalists and youtubers/streamers.

They could learn so much from them and improve the games/their work so much by doing it, but they prefer to not doing it, because...

I don't think the producers of extra credit are numerous enough to really tackle a project, part of being good at a craft is making a project work in the existing industry. And it's not like good games don't come out just because things have declined ethically over the years or because they don't master every aspect of development.

The ideal designs they advertise are some of the same retoric ACE used when pitching this game, but actually delivering on those visions are just as difficult for them as anyone else. Being ethical doesn't guarantee success it just drives a better product.

There's always the risk you could make another Okami :(

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Being ethical can help guarantee success in a market flooded with such shady ethics...

First company that has a good idea and stays true to the course with the funding they have is going to do well in the mmorpg scene... but we haven't had one of those companies for a long time.  They always end up buckling or cutting some sort of corner in some way shape or form. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Just as many projects shut down from lack of consumers, lack of advertisement, and lack of investment to achieve desired product.

Who can measure all the ethical projects that didn't even make it far enough to be previewed?

Just as many projects shut down from lack of consumers, lack of advertisement, and lack of investment to achieve desired product.

Who can measure all the ethical projects that didn't even make it far enough to be previewed?

Knowing human nature there are very few truly ethical projects these days in games industry...  Even the ones that really want to make you think they are ethical indie projects end up trying to do shady things here and there.

Truly principled and ethical people are rare.

I don't think the producers of extra credit are numerous enough to really tackle a project, part of being good at a craft is making a project work in the existing industry. And it's not like good games don't come out just because things have declined ethically over the years or because they don't master every aspect of development.

The ideal designs they advertise are some of the same retoric ACE used when pitching this game, but actually delivering on those visions are just as difficult for them as anyone else. Being ethical doesn't guarantee success it just drives a better product.

There's always the risk you could make another Okami :(

Being ethical can help guarantee success in a market flooded with such shady ethics...

First company that has a good idea and stays true to the course with the funding they have is going to do well in the mmorpg scene... but we haven't had one of those companies for a long time.  They always end up buckling or cutting some sort of corner in some way shape or form. 

Knowing human nature there are very few truly ethical projects these days in games industry...  Even the ones that really want to make you think they are ethical indie projects end up trying to do shady things here and there.

Truly principled and ethical people are rare.

Well, but this is part of the core of what has lead to the situation we are in right now.

There arent any AAA games in development anymore (in the MMO genre, but in general there arent any real AAA games in development too, besides GTA 6).

Many people say or got the impression, that the MMO genre is dead or dying.

The MMO genre has been one of the most popular genres until recently, and it still is popular from my point of view, also because its the genre with the most potential left.

Due to the enormous importance and potential of this genre, it is very dangerous for the gaming industry to let this genre totally slide at the moment, because investments would be risky, because developing an MMO is difficult and complex, and success is not guaranteed.

It is one of the major mistakes of the gaming industry not to be willing or able to invest in the most important genre, if not the major mistake of all.

This is showing perfectly how the gaming industry is funtioning, and what is wrong with the industry.

Its not about innovation or quality or customers, its all about profit only. They only care for the money.

With things going on like they are at the moment, it will take much time until we see another AAA MMO.

The game industry has produced some amazing games recently for example witcher 3, dark souls 3, firewatch, x com 2, the walking dead line of games, pillars of eternity, banner saga. I could go on but you get the idea. 

Well, but this is part of the core of what has lead to the situation we are in right now.

There arent any AAA games in development anymore (in the MMO genre, but in general there arent any real AAA games in development too, besides GTA 6).

Many people say or got the impression, that the MMO genre is dead or dying.

The MMO genre has been one of the most popular genres until recently, and it still is popular from my point of view, also because its the genre with the most potential left.

Due to the enormous importance and potential of this genre, it is very dangerous for the gaming industry to let this genre totally slide at the moment, because investments would be risky, because developing an MMO is difficult and complex, and success is not guaranteed.

It is one of the major mistakes of the gaming industry not to be willing or able to invest in the most important genre, if not the major mistake of all.

This is showing perfectly how the gaming industry is funtioning, and what is wrong with the industry.

Its not about innovation or quality or customers, its all about profit only. They only care for the money.

With things going on like they are at the moment, it will take much time until we see another AAA MMO.

What counts as a "real" AAA, u got final fantasy XV, Battlefield 1, Mass effect Andromeda, cyberpunk 2077 and dishonored 2 coming out soon or in development. Just seems like the mmo genre is slowing down a bit and a lot of good indie/kickstarter mmos are taking its place, u tried star citizen yet? Its pretty damn good. Gloria victis is good for pre-alpha and could turn into something great. If anything games are looking better than ever imo.

Edited by JonatheOrange

The game industry has produced some amazing games recently for example witcher 3, dark souls 3, firewatch, x com 2, the walking dead line of games, pillars of eternity, banner saga. I could go on but you get the idea. 

What counts as a "real" AAA, u got final fantasy XV, Battlefield 1, Mass effect Andromeda, cyberpunk 2077 and dishonored 2 coming out soon or in development. Just seems like the mmo genre is slowing down a bit and a lot of good indie/kickstarter mmos are taking its place, u tried star citizen yet? Its pretty damn good. Gloria victis is good for pre-alpha and could turn into something great. If anything games are looking better than ever imo.

The witcher 3, dark souls 3, firewatch, x com 2, pillars of eternity, banner saga arent products of the gaming industry. They are products of small or midsized indepenent manufacturers. These people are game developers and this is how their company works, it is refelcted in their companys, they are making great games they like to play theirselves. Dont tell me people who are working in the gaming industry as developers or even managers are playing their own games, they dont. Especially The Witcher, The Banner saga or Pillars of eternity are kind of the opposite of what the gaming industry has become or is doing.

There was a time not too far ago where there almost werent any independent game developers left, giving birth to a new phenomen, called the Indie Scene.

Due to the availability of crowdfunding today for independent developers/companys and customers, most of these games you were mentioning have only become possible this way. These games wouldnt have been realised if crowdfunding didnt exist. So you cant say that the game industry is any good or got anything to do with it, because an industry isnt reliant on crowdfunding, they got all the resources necessary available to them.

The AAA games you are mentioning are just franchise games, they are just a hopefully good recreation of what is already approved to be working, but there is no innovation or rethinking contained in them.

Star Citizen is the last and only big hope for gaming.

The witcher 3, dark souls 3, firewatch, x com 2, pillars of eternity, banner saga arent products of the gaming industry. They are products of small or midsized indepenent manufacturers. These people are game developers and this is how their company works, it is refelcted in their companys, they are making great games they like to play theirselves. Dont tell me people who are working in the gaming industry as developers or even managers are playing their own games, they dont. Especially The Witcher, The Banner saga or Pillars of eternity are kind of the opposite of what the gaming industry has become or is doing.

There was a time not too far ago where there almost werent any independent game developers left, giving birth to a new phenomen, called the Indie Scene.

Due to the availability of crowdfunding today for independent developers/companys and customers, most of these games you were mentioning have only become possible this way. These games wouldnt have been realised if crowdfunding didnt exist. So you cant say that the game industry is any good or got anything to do with it, because an industry isnt reliant on crowdfunding, they got all the resources necessary available to them.

The AAA games you are mentioning are just franchise games, they are just a hopefully good recreation of what is already approved to be working, but there is no innovation or rethinking contained in them.

They are part of the gaming industry, they are selling their games right?  Star citizen sells $2500 ships they definitely are interested and taking part in economics in the gaming industry. Final fantasy is breaking away from its roots, it isn't even going to have turn based combat, cyberpunk isn't a sequel and i chose those games because they were the ones i was interested in. If you want only original games then you have fortnite, blizzard just released overwatch, for honor, war rage, horizon zero dawn and total war:arena and probably more. Also yeah crowdfunding is great, even more games.

Edited by JonatheOrange

I have to disagree about Star Citizen.  It could be great; it could be released missing a lot of what was promised.  Thankfully, there are other games such as CF, CU and GV (and others) that are all trying to bring back those great ideas from older MMOs that have been lost due to the WoW clone phase of MMO development.  It is my sincere hope that at least one of them makes it and is successful.  If not, then I think our only MMO options will be eastern free-to-play imports which, by and large, have been extremely similar, cash-grabby games that are entertaining for about a month.  The other option is that we are left with a bunch of broken early access games that could have been excellent, but the funding is just not there to finish them.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

I have to disagree about Star Citizen.  It could be great; it could be released missing a lot of what was promised.  Thankfully, there are other games such as CF, CU and GV (and others) that are all trying to bring back those great ideas from older MMOs that have been lost due to the WoW clone phase of MMO development.  It is my sincere hope that at least one of them makes it and is successful.  If not, then I think our only MMO options will be eastern free-to-play imports which, by and large, have been extremely similar, cash-grabby games that are entertaining for about a month.  The other option is that we are left with a bunch of broken early access games that could have been excellent, but the funding is just not there to finish them.   

I think CU will at least deliver what it intends to deliver as far as the spirit and feel of the game.  I trust MJ now that he is out from under big corporation pressure.

I have to disagree about Star Citizen.  It could be great; it could be released missing a lot of what was promised.  Thankfully, there are other games such as CF, CU and GV (and others) that are all trying to bring back those great ideas from older MMOs that have been lost due to the WoW clone phase of MMO development.  It is my sincere hope that at least one of them makes it and is successful. 

1)  If not, then I think our only MMO options will be eastern free-to-play imports which, by and large, have been extremely similar, cash-grabby games that are entertaining for about a month. 

2) The other option is that we are left with a bunch of broken early access games that could have been excellent, but the funding is just not there to finish them.   

To 1)

There arent even any eastern MMOs upcoming after Bless and Revelation Online. The only hope would be new MMOs from China, the publishers from Korea have gone to develop games for mobile devices, instead of new MMOs for PC. Its very upsetting.

To 2)

Thats the problem if there are too many crowdfunding game projects of the same type, they just dont get the funding needed. Imagine the fundng of Star Citizen would be splitted about around 5 projects, they never could make Star Citizen.

Thats why crowdfunding doenst work for MMOs most often, because MMOs need much money.

All these similar MMOs and indenpendent game developer companys or crowdfunded game projects in general should start to collaborate somehow, because alone no one of them will get to where they are trying to get.

Edited by Urahara