Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your favorite class ever in any game!

Most of mine would be the different SB characters that I made over the years but standouts are:

1. BW proccing priests

2. Bird Staff Lock (This was on the emu but extremely amusing)

3. Healer Doomsayer on Vengeance. This one will always have a special place in my heart because wiping groups of 10 or more people is always fun. The character build itself wasn't exceptional.

4. Healing Priests. This was something that was somewhat unique to SB. Outside of random proccing builds, priests were purely for healing/stunning and having a role that was purely set in one area is kind of unique, particularly by today's standards in MMOs and RPGs(especially pvp related). It was tough to find people to play them much less good priests but when you had them, it made all the difference in the world.

5. Any debuff style support character. They were always my favorite GvG characters to play. I played Assassin primarily later on when I was leading for CR.

In wow I always liked Spriest in WotLK. Like Zybak, I also enjoyed the disc side of priest in WotLK as well for pvp purposes.

C4sIZDW.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most of mine would be the different SB characters that I made over the years but standouts are:   1. BW proccing priests 2. Bird Staff Lock (This was on the emu but extremely amusing) 3. Healer Do

Sounds like something straight out of a 70s acid trip 

Valewalker - Hybernia - DAoC   Going into battle with cloth armor and a scythe is typically enough to catch anyone's attention. Combine that with the ability to drain life, bestow debuffs, and exact

I really liked the GW1 Mesmer. I used Domination magic, and the whole shtick with that was preventing the other guy from casting and punishing him and his allies if they do with direct damage, energy drains, DoTs, and more spell interrupts.

Outside of MMOs, I really like Final Fantasy's Red and Blue Mages. Dual casting is pretty rad, and so is learning all the powerful enemy abilites.

231e101d88.jpg

Shadowbane: The endless march of strange builds I always thought I could make work. Fist and shield, bro! Dagger barbarian! ;) 
Warhammer: Disciple of Khaine. I like support classes that can still wreck face. 
DAoC: Warden. I really like support classes that can still wreck face. Special shout out to Reaver (debuffs and lifedrain, my favorite style of close combat) and Animist (killer shrooms).

GW1 had so many amazing combos, it's hard to choose. In the gvg meta monk would often have a new FOTM secondary class, I think my favourite was Monk/Assassin due to all the teleporting around I got to do.

Game was so ahead of its time, I think it would have been a very popular esport if it was released today with twitch.tv as popular as it is.

Also Cleric(Lathander)/Mage in Baldur's gate 1/2. Played solo, just a stupidly powerful and fun combination. So many spells.

Don't lynch me, I'm very well aware that Final Fantasy XI was the PvEiest of PvE games, however during its time it did some pretty bold stuff with its billion classes. There are a lot of good examples to choose from, though admittedly the game also packs some strong examples of what not to do with classes. Anyway, my personal favorite class was, surprisingly to me, Puppet Master.

The thing I liked most about it was that the class wasn't afraid to point at you and let you know that you were garbage. It was the first time (and only time) where a class loaded all of its umph into the pet instead of it just being a detached toolbar. Like, myself and other Puppet Masters dismiss our puppets and let ourselves die instead (thus losing xp) because the death penalty was arguably harsher for your puppet than you and you simply couldn't afford to not have it.

It also got the whole indirect control thing right which made the class custard breasts and balls fun. I had to THINK about every move and plan ahead, i.e. I couldn't just heal on whim with a healer puppet, so a good puppet master was someone who also understood the flow of battle and observed how his party members played. When it all worked the satisfaction of being able to build a mage, tank, healer, or ranged physical dps puppet and have unique perks exclusive to me (like no mana downtime on my mage/healer puppet so long as it isn't hurt) really rewards excellent play and strong role management by your party.

I dream of finding another fantastic pet class like that, but at best we get stuff closer to WoW's Warlock and Hunter were half the time you dismiss them or ignore them and the other half you use them as expendable resources.

Warhammer Online's White Lion class was also another very excellent pet class and while they didn't have the balls to frontload your pet they did make you roughly equal in importance and most of your skills were dual master/pet skills so you had to give a poorly made socks about your pet.

On a side note, FFXI's Blue Mage was also a good example of making melee mages work.

Edited by Cerulean Shaman

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

Tribes 2 - Renegade Mod - Hunter/killer loadout (Railgun for long range sniping, not the Laser which could be seen and tracked back to you).  Yeah, it was an FPS, but I'm sorry.  I had a BLAST getting into the heads of, and anticipating incoming snipers to our base and where they were going to setup.  Then I'd setup back behind THOSE predicted positions in counter-snipe setup, with mines layed out, motion sensors, etc.

Yeah.  LOLOL.  That was some fun stuff.  Particularly when they came BACK all hot-to-trot, maybe with a buddy or so to kill the pain that head-shotted him, only to have to diddle around trying to figure out where I was, not finding me, and get head shotted again with his buddies stepping on landmines bull-rushing/jetpacking my position once found.

Didn't always go my way of course . . . but most of the time it did.   And my team wasn't eating head shots with me out there.

AC2 - Ranger and Elementalist (Ranger on Darktide - PvP server)

Wow - Ranger, Mage, Paladin

GW1 - Ranger, Elementalist

GW2 - Mesmer, and hmmm "Engineer" I think it was called

Rift - Shaman 

LOTRO - Ranger and Warden, Freeps, Archer and Spider, Creeps (Ettenmoors)

That's probably the short list anyway.  I've played Warhammer Online, AOC, EvE, Archeage, and some others, but generally the above is the profile I play:  Archer or Mage predominantly, particularly if there is some utility / cc mixed in the class.  Then for a change of pace some form of knight/paladin/healer, and maybe some kind of "deployable" class such as an "Engineer".

I can't speak about Rogue's, because it's against the Rogue rules to talk about that in the open . . . .oops . . . :D

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Warhammer Online - Warrior Priest / Disciple of Khaine

Lots of different play styles. You can be a full on aoe party healer, a dps wrecking machine (if you have the gear) or a mixture of both.

Edited by helix

Lots of different play styles. You can be a full on aoe party healer, a dps wrecking machine (if you have the gear) or a mixture of both.

Only if you were a DoK. By the damn Ruinous POwers, as a primarily and longtime Order player I couldn't tell you what I wanted more; to survive an encounter against a DoK or to get just one chance to punch their players in the face.

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

Disciple of Khaine : In full agreement there.

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

DaoC -- had a  few..  

Midgard-- Shaman, Pac Healer, Shadowblade,

Hibbies-- Split-spec Enchanter and Druid

Albs-  can suck it

Gw2-- Guardian and Thief

WaR--  Chosen, then Shaman-- Rangers for keep defense

Global Agenda- Recon

BDO-- my  warrior and  Musa

CoH--- Rad/Rad Defender and my  Claws/Toughness Scrapper--- although  I did love the animations  of the Ice blaster

Smite- Artemis and Bellona

WoW- can also  suck it

Edited by Orinturi

I will have to add that the "class" in Gloria Victis is very good, because there is no class.  You want to be more tanky?  Get some heavy armor and a shield.  Sometimes, you'll need to switch to bow or a two hander when the occasion is right.  This allows for logical, non-immersion wrecking variety because you're not switching your builds and character type based on situations (who you are and what you've invested in), you are simply bringing the right tools for the job at hand (if you have them), all the while still answerable to your attributes--the core of what your character is (if you've gone with mostly dex, you'll be good on the bow, but your blunt defense might be low and you may tire quickly).  This is a simple, yet elegant solution that covers both play variety and meaningful progression choices.  Most MMOs never get this right--either you can completely redesign your strengths and weakness on a whim (very common today), or you're locked in and forced to reroll/alt to enjoy different gameplay.  There are other work arounds, but these tend to be very gimmicky and contrived and are inappropriate for a RPG.    

While GV is alpha-buggy and more character customization/development features are to be (and need to be) added, this style of "class" is somewhat exceptional in MMOs today and I hope more games follow GV's lead here.     

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

A guardian in GW2. I had a greatsword/sword+focus build that could dish out some serious damage, blind foes, and leap. Despite the class's name my character surely didn't guard anything, he had pretty low health.  I'm not sure if it's still a viable build after the last few patches, but it was fun.

Didn't get to high ranks, but I liked Witch Hunter in WAR. Going into incognito and murdering that annoying sorceress behind the frontline was fun, even if I could barely escape.

I like my hammer/mentalism character in Project: Gorgon. Huge melée damage combined with healing is my favorite.