Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vasnyr

Question about camera control

I've only played in 1 test and haven't had much time with the UI. In many video's I've watched, I see people run in directions independent of where their camera is facing. This keeps their camera facing the threat so they can know if the threat has disengaged or if they have created enough distance. How is this accomplished? 

Thanks!

I've only played in 1 test and haven't had much time with the UI. In many video's I've watched, I see people run in directions independent of where their camera is facing. This keeps their camera facing the threat so they can know if the threat has disengaged or if they have created enough distance. How is this accomplished? 

Thanks!

you can sort of do it by starting running forward with W then swinging the mouse around a bit but its not completely free or easy. can't remember off top of head but i've done it to 'look behind' while running

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

How I do it is I change which direction I'm running when I change the camera's direction.

I.e. Press W wile camera is facing forward, start strafing left when I move the camera to the right, press A while camera is facing right.

Edited by coolster50

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I think there is something more happening in the videos I've watched. It looks effortless in these videos, None of the: forward, strafe, back while moving camera the opposite way stuff. I'll try to find some videos in a bit.

its smooth when you do it - and i do it without thinking about it - i think coolster got it described 

just normal keyboard strafing and mouse movement to counter balance it

e.g. start of this video i do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAH9h-_7A0o

u4cHUSj.gif

you can also just move your camera still if you character is stunned or your doing a channeled power

x3Fb8xA.gif

you can also target the camera around to face behind you while standing still / while running for a short time too

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

You may be have seen some much older footage of Hunger Dome 1.1(?).  When they implemented the combat toggle, via the z-key, it changed the behavior of the combat camera.

Presently, your camera is locked forward while in combat, but is free while out of combat.

You may be have seen some much older footage of Hunger Dome 1.1(?).  When they implemented the combat toggle, via the z-key, it changed the behavior of the combat camera.

Presently, your camera is locked forward while in combat, but is free while out of combat.

One of them was before the terrain had textures so this may be the case. I will play around a bit more with it in the next test. I'll check back in after that. 

It's important for me to have a way to move independently of my camera without it being too finicky. It really helps situational awareness in pvp. 

One of them was before the terrain had textures so this may be the case. I will play around a bit more with it in the next test. I'll check back in after that. 

It's important for me to have a way to move independently of my camera without it being too finicky. It really helps situational awareness in pvp. 

It's important to others that you can't do that, so that you have to develop higher situational awareness skills without the game giving you information too freely.

I understand why you have your preference, just be aware many others like myself actually have a very opposite view on it.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

It's important to others that you can't do that, so that you have to develop higher situational awareness skills without the game giving you information too freely.

I understand why you have your preference, just be aware many others like myself actually have a very opposite view on it.

I'm not talking about about the degree of situational awareness available. I'm considering how cumbersome or intuitive is it to have that level of situational awareness. The camera already has some allowance built in for this as was pointed out above. Strafing and pushing the camera the opposite way works. Also, I believe jump camera flicks work without changing your direction or momentum. With this level of camera flexibility built in already, a player can have a reasonable level of 360 awareness but there may be better ways to achieve this in the UI.