Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That would be freaking epic if that somehow ended up happening xD

So what you saying is you basically make up your own definitions and try to argue from that?... That is not how the world works, neither the real one or the digital...

No what I am saying is that that's how the mmorpg industry has worked.  Would you call each zone in EQ1 a server?  No... would you call each continent in WoW that requires you to load in WoW a server?  No....

It's all relative to the games, it's all just data and loading...

EKs are housing instances, they are not full on servers, unless you want to call your individual EK that may be tiny and have no work put into it, a server. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really guys, must there be PvP everywhere? For my part I thought: nice, pvp toggle is possible, so we can hold tournaments! thats lovely, I can see the events rolling in. We might even get EKs specia

I was thinking it might make sense to have reduced upkeep for PvP enabled EKs. This creates an incentive, but not a particularly powerful one. Scummy EKs might have better prices, but they will also h

If PvP control is at the parcel level (like in that prototype screenshot) you could have a friendly high-class EK, with just one really bad neighborhood 

I don't think that EKs will be live "worlds" like (smaller) campaigns. At least not all of them. There will be one EK per player, and they can't host one hundred thousand servers.

What will they do? Empty EKs won't be hosted. Even when a player joins one, they will be client-sided. There also is a possibility that the EK will be hosted by one of the players when there are only few players inside.

ACE will only host large EKs, and even then they'll have to clump them in single servers.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I don't think that EKs will be live "worlds" like (smaller) campaigns. At least not all of them. There will be one EK per player, and they can't host one hundred thousand servers.

What will they do? Empty EKs won't be hosted. Even when a player joins one, they will be client-sided. There also is a possibility that the EK will be hosted by one of the players when there are only few players inside.

ACE will only host large EKs, and even then they'll have to clump them in single servers.

I don't think they will client side anything that important, because the potential to hack prime resources onto a client sided EK is a possibility.

My theory is they will take low population EKs and put 10s if not hundreds onto 1 server hard box (rather the design will do this).  More populated EKs with larger populations will need a dedicated server, but those will be a smaller portion of the player base.  EvE uses a design like this, where Jita (Jita is consistently the highest populated system in EvE) is hosted on a single server, while less populated systems are grouped onto a single server.  In EvEs case they own their own server hardware, and are limited to how much "world" they can actually have.  This is where ACEs decision to go with Amazon (AWS) allows them the flexibility to ramp up or down depending on population load.  In EvE when a large fight 500 v 500 is known about before hand, then CCP actually asked for that information, so they can reinforce the system the fighting is going to take place in (typically a 0.0 system where 99% of the time there are less than 50 players in the system).

Servers in this case are a physical computer, with cpus etc etc.  In a way, we can think of Crowfall as moving away from traditional servers and really using a cloud based design.  When no one is in the EK, there is no need to actually store any of that information on any server, instead it will be stored on a large database.  Once a player tries to enter into the EK, it will pull the information from the database, and then load that information onto a server, then allow the player to enter the EK hosted on that server.  So population will dictate when and how much server space is required, and that's how we should be viewing the game world; how much server space is required at peak population and on average throughout the day.  Because with today's games, no game like CF could reside on a single server.

If instancing will be used in any way, it will be with the parcels, or the actual building pieces.  Unity allows for the original 3d object, and then can instance that object across the scene.  Think of a bullet, and how there are multiple bullets that fire from a gun; those bullets are not all individual bullets, they are copies or instances of the original object, and all behave exactly like the original.  So CF may have instancing of wall pieces, corner building pieces, forts, animals and any various other things that could be instanced.

lUvvzPy.png